Jack Monroe #321 It's just that Jack wasn't especially cool or well liked

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a simple solution for my company, I tell them to pay at least living wage at 23+ otherwise they won’t get anyone for the apprenticeship anyway. It works for me!
My firm pays minimum wage for it! I still think its too low, its cheap labour. Chuck a couple extra grand on it so its only shy of bottom of the band.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Hello frauen, I’d like to start with a small apology, cos I don’t think I explained enough before about the reason I mentioned the Thorpe Bay/grammar school kids who would have been many of Jack’s peers growing up. Daddy H worked a pretty normal job, for above average pay, and he seems to have made some wise investments, good on him. But his normal income when Jack lived at home would have been nowhere near what a lot of other local dads brought in, and it wouldn’t likely have bought designer labels and skiing trips and all that jazz. Even 20+ years ago there were mad amounts of money sloshing about and lots of people showing it off including via their kids. I’m inclined to speculate, not unfairly, that a possible reason Jack appears to simply not recognise her immense privilege might be because she genuinely felt underprivileged in comparison to some of her peer group growing up. Especially going to the grammar school she went to, with all the kids from sharp-elbowed Leigh-on-Sea and Chalkwell families who could afford 11+ tutoring and all that. Now, if she’d compared herself to our peers growing up in single parent households, in council housing around the town (there was still plenty of it in Shoebury and Southend when we grew up), and going to Shoeburyness or Prittlewell or Cecil Jones schools (all of which are quite a bit less tit now than they were back in the day; they were really tit then) maybe she’d be happier now because she’d realise how incredibly lucky she is. Who can say?! Certainly not me. I don’t think she spent enough time with us povvos for us to be worth a comparison. Anyway, that context was just an interesting thing for me to think about when trying to work out why Jack is so determined to play a Poor victim of society when she demonstrably isn’t; that was why I mentioned it.

After the last 24h I’m having second thoughts about OH. I’d partly based my assumption of his identity on her saying they’d known each other a long time. If it is ‘my’ suspected OH, then he would already have a reason to publicly keep her at arm’s length (sorry, I promise this would make sense if I could tell you who I think it is, but if I’m wrong then I think the guy I’d name would actually have a decent case for libel 😂 no offence Jack) - but she does seem to be going off the deep end a bit so I don’t know if she does have anyone looking out for her.

Also - yes to previous posters - I personally agree that nobody should be getting into a relationship with someone who appears to be in such a bad place mentally as Jack, but I’ve had partners love me and care for me when I’ve been in tit situations before (even though I haven’t been compulsively lying about my dad shooting guns and all my AMAZING friends who send me gifts and the police tracking down my made up online troll, and maybe said partners wouldn’t have loved me if I had been doing all that nonsense), so I’ll sit on the fence if she does have an OH. It’ll all be consenting adults, it’s not my business to decide what they do with each other.

I did a quick mess around with entitledto.co.uk benefits calculator (we know her rent - or at least what she says she pays - and the CT band of the address is public info anyway, so it’s easy enough to work out) and it shows that on a PAYE salary of £30k and paying 6% into a pension, with a child living with her, she would be entitled to about £550-650 a month Universal Credit. Without the kid, on that salary, she’d still be entitled to about £25 a month. (£30k would be a, erm, healthy salary for working in Southend without any qualifications and minimal experience, so I’m being generous there.) So she must have been earning pretty ok for a while to not have been eligible for any benefits since 2014, as she now claims. (Or maybe that’s how long SB has been living with his dad. If that’s the case, my god she really did milk the single mum thing didn’t she?!)

I’ve got no sympathy whatsoever for her “it’s the ADHD and autism” nonsense because🔺 I have formal diagnoses of both and yet I manage not to be a twit. I doubt Jack has formal diagnoses, partly because the last time I checked there was no adult ADHD service in Southend, so to be diagnosed with that as an adult she would have had to go private. That’s £1500 for assessment then £80 for each prescription and £300-odd for review appointments … nice if you can afford it, but of course our Poor little Jack only has £19 so she can’t possibly. There is an NHS adult Asperger’s clinic in Basildon but waiting lists are looooong and they cover teens too. Also she would totally have published a piece of rambling tit (yes I am a fine one to talk, but I’m not a professional writer so I’m allowed to be rambly) about the whole psych assessment process and how VALIDATING it was to finally be told she’s different (and having something she could potentially use as an excuse for any crappy behaviour) and oh my god why didn’t anyone ever NOTICE I was different and special. Seeing as we haven’t been subjected to that, I’m going with thinking there might not be a diagnosis.

Am also extremely sceptical about the RA claims - again, am sure we would have had photos of swollen red knuckles and ankles and knees and whatnot, as well as a comprehensive writeup of how gruelling it was getting an answer to why she was in so much paaaaiiiin and couldn’t cook. Also … like … come on frauen, this is Jack, and rheumatology and associated modalities at Southend Hospital are beyond awful (I know through parents 🔺), so we would have had regular pieces on how totally broken the NHS is (live tweeted from the waiting rooms) if she was a pain or rheumatology patient. (N.B. The NHS is totally broken, and Jack would still not be a hero for pointing that out, especially when others are doing it better and from a more informed and less faux-gobshitey perspective.) Also there would have been a first-person diatribe about how awful the DWP’s process is for PIP claims - because it is, and Jack would be able to write all about that if she’d claimed PIP for her RA, which for any frauen who don’t know is usually a really disabling condition so it’s relatively easy to evidence disability in the PIP descriptors, as long as you’ve got the medical evidence to back you up of course. Being able to provide medical evidence is a bit of a sticking point if you haven’t got a condition.

I’ve digressed again, so back to the point I was getting round to making - I’m NOT saying that not having a formal diagnosis doesn’t mean she has ASD/ADHD (sorry for the clumsy wording there but I’m tired, aha am SO TIRED) … but I do think that if she ever was actually fully assessed by a consultant psychiatrist she would end up with various other diagnoses either instead of, or in addition to, ASD. The compulsive lying isn’t a normal ADHD or ASD trait, for starters; nor is the desperately seeking attention; or the having to pretend to be the elevenerife-est at everything.

This ridiculous police tit (!!!!!) reeks of histrionics, not that I believe her version of events in the slightest. And it’s very uncomfortable as someone who’s never had to be part of AA but has had a loved one who did, to see how she talks about AA. All of that stuff isn’t ASD or ADHD, that seems like some pathological bleeping tit.

I do wish she’d get the help she needs. It IS sad watching someone humiliate themselves to this degree. And I think people who live their lives terminally online the way she seems to are sad generally. Ok, I do appreciate she’s being egged on by her naive (or ignorant) eager little squigs, and she’s clearly got herself into a mindset where they’re her Friends and anyone who dares question or even hint at criticisim of her is an Enemy (oh my god she IS kind of like a female Owen Jones isn’t she). But there’s got to be some small part of her that recognises what a douche she’s being with all the BS. Hasn’t there?!

We need a half decent journalist to save her from herself (and to save us from her of course, and to save the poor gullible squigs on lower incomes than she is yet donating money to her Patreon). Invite her on to your show, ostensibly to talk about the cost of living or food poverty or fuel poverty or whatever type of poverty is her main area of expertise this week, ask her a few softball questions THEN start booting the real tit at her: “Jack, some people have pointed out there are some inconsistencies in your backstory, can you explain [lists exact examples of BS]?”, “Jack, did your dad really fire a whacking great gun in a quiet residential street the other weekend?” “Jack, how much income do you receive through your Patreon each month?” that kind of thing. She’d have no choice but to go away and get her act together, maybe even learn some useful skills before coming back into the public eye.

Go on Jack, you could get better at being Jack Monroe. You’ve created this whole persona - why are you content with her being an easily called out bullshitter with what appears from the outside to be quite the personality disorder? Why don’t you want her to actually be smart and credible?

(ps if you’d told me even six weeks ago, never mind ten years ago, that I would be posting on a message board about Jack Monroe I would have thought you were bleeping bonkers, yet here I am, it’s making me laugh)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 125
My tuppence worth:
The nasty malicious caller concerned for her welfare could have called the police a few days and they’ve only got round to checking today due to other demands. It isn’t unreasonable to complete a welfare check on someone who receives such serious threats as the ones Jack posts about. I don’t think the person reporting was doing so in a malicious way, so Jack is barking up the wrong tree as usual.
My other thought is:
Jack was actually being spoken to for something serious and using the ‘welfare check’ story as a diversion so that she can keep up appearances with her neighbours who would 100% have been curtain twitching.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Grunkaing, but not understanding the welfare check/troll thing either. My boss actually had to do one for a cousin of hers all the way in New Zealand, because he'd had a serious MH episode and stopped responding to her for over 12hrs. The police tried calling him, then went to his address, it turned out he was ok, so they got in touch with her to let her know. So is Jack saying the police will report back to whoever made the initial call?

• Heart
Reactions: 32
The power comes from knowing where the source of the blue roll is.
During the demise of my old company, signs appeared in the kitchen saying "No blue roll? Contact reception". Below these, there were soon signs saying "No reception? Contact <CEO>". The company went into liquidation a few days later.

I'd love it (insert Kevin Keegan) if the Essex Police social media team accidentally tagged DHOYA on those posts.

Poor Simon needs to head to aisle 7 for some poo bags before meeting the shitting dog

• Haha
Reactions: 33
That interview bullshit has annoyed me. You can be perfectly civil and polite to your work colleagues and treat them with respect without knowing anything about their personal lives. Also it puts the cleaning staff under pressure to divulge their own personal stuff for others benefit.

• Heart
Reactions: 65
Hello frauen, I’d like to start with a small apology, cos I don’t think I explained enough before about the reason I mentioned the Thorpe Bay/grammar school kids who would have been many of Jack’s peers growing up. Daddy H worked a pretty normal job, for above average pay, and he seems to have made some wise investments, good on him. But his normal income when Jack lived at home would have been nowhere near what a lot of other local dads brought in, and it wouldn’t likely have bought designer labels and skiing trips and all that jazz. Even 20+ years ago there were mad amounts of money sloshing about and lots of people showing it off including via their kids. I’m inclined to speculate, not unfairly, that a possible reason Jack appears to simply not recognise her immense privilege might be because she genuinely felt underprivileged in comparison to some of her peer group growing up. Especially going to the grammar school she went to, with all the kids from sharp-elbowed Leigh-on-Sea and Chalkwell families who could afford 11+ tutoring and all that. Now, if she’d compared herself to our peers growing up in single parent households, in council housing around the town (there was still plenty of it in Shoebury and Southend when we grew up), and going to Shoeburyness or Prittlewell or Cecil Jones schools (all of which are quite a bit less tit now than they were back in the day; they were really tit then) maybe she’d be happier now because she’d realise how incredibly lucky she is. Who can say?! Certainly not me. I don’t think she spent enough time with us povvos for us to be worth a comparison. Anyway, that context was just an interesting thing for me to think about when trying to work out why Jack is so determined to play a Poor victim of society when she demonstrably isn’t; that was why I mentioned it.

After the last 24h I’m having second thoughts about OH. I’d partly based my assumption of his identity on her saying they’d known each other a long time. If it is ‘my’ suspected OH, then he would already have a reason to publicly keep her at arm’s length (sorry, I promise this would make sense if I could tell you who I think it is, but if I’m wrong then I think the guy I’d name would actually have a decent case for libel 😂 no offence Jack) - but she does seem to be going off the deep end a bit so I don’t know if she does have anyone looking out for her.

Also - yes to previous posters - I personally agree that nobody should be getting into a relationship with someone who appears to be in such a bad place mentally as Jack, but I’ve had partners love me and care for me when I’ve been in tit situations before (even though I haven’t been compulsively lying about my dad shooting guns and all my AMAZING friends who send me gifts and the police tracking down my made up online troll, and maybe said partners wouldn’t have loved me if I had been doing all that nonsense), so I’ll sit on the fence if she does have an OH. It’ll all be consenting adults, it’s not my business to decide what they do with each other.

I did a quick mess around with entitledto.co.uk benefits calculator (we know her rent - or at least what she says she pays - and the CT band of the address is public info anyway, so it’s easy enough to work out) and it shows that on a PAYE salary of £30k and paying 6% into a pension, with a child living with her, she would be entitled to about £550-650 a month Universal Credit. Without the kid, on that salary, she’d still be entitled to about £25 a month. (£30k would be a, erm, healthy salary for working in Southend without any qualifications and minimal experience, so I’m being generous there.) So she must have been earning pretty ok for a while to not have been eligible for any benefits since 2014, as she now claims. (Or maybe that’s how long SB has been living with his dad. If that’s the case, my god she really did milk the single mum thing didn’t she?!)

I’ve got no sympathy whatsoever for her “it’s the ADHD and autism” nonsense because🔺 I have formal diagnoses of both and yet I manage not to be a twit. I doubt Jack has formal diagnoses, partly because the last time I checked there was no adult ADHD service in Southend, so to be diagnosed with that as an adult she would have had to go private. That’s £1500 for assessment then £80 for each prescription and £300-odd for review appointments … nice if you can afford it, but of course our Poor little Jack only has £19 so she can’t possibly. There is an NHS adult Asperger’s clinic in Basildon but waiting lists are looooong and they cover teens too. Also she would totally have published a piece of rambling tit (yes I am a fine one to talk, but I’m not a professional writer so I’m allowed to be rambly) about the whole psych assessment process and how VALIDATING it was to finally be told she’s different (and having something she could potentially use as an excuse for any crappy behaviour) and oh my god why didn’t anyone ever NOTICE I was different and special. Seeing as we haven’t been subjected to that, I’m going with thinking there might not be a diagnosis.

Am also extremely sceptical about the RA claims - again, am sure we would have had photos of swollen red knuckles and ankles and knees and whatnot, as well as a comprehensive writeup of how gruelling it was getting an answer to why she was in so much paaaaiiiin and couldn’t cook. Also … like … come on frauen, this is Jack, and rheumatology and associated modalities at Southend Hospital are beyond awful (I know through parents 🔺), so we would have had regular pieces on how totally broken the NHS is (live tweeted from the waiting rooms) if she was a pain or rheumatology patient. (N.B. The NHS is totally broken, and Jack would still not be a hero for pointing that out, especially when others are doing it better and from a more informed and less faux-gobshitey perspective.) Also there would have been a first-person diatribe about how awful the DWP’s process is for PIP claims - because it is, and Jack would be able to write all about that if she’d claimed PIP for her RA, which for any frauen who don’t know is usually a really disabling condition so it’s relatively easy to evidence disability in the PIP descriptors, as long as you’ve got the medical evidence to back you up of course. Being able to provide medical evidence is a bit of a sticking point if you haven’t got a condition.

I’ve digressed again, so back to the point I was getting round to making - I’m NOT saying that not having a formal diagnosis doesn’t mean she has ASD/ADHD (sorry for the clumsy wording there but I’m tired, aha am SO TIRED) … but I do think that if she ever was actually fully assessed by a consultant psychiatrist she would end up with various other diagnoses either instead of, or in addition to, ASD. The compulsive lying isn’t a normal ADHD or ASD trait, for starters; nor is the desperately seeking attention; or the having to pretend to be the elevenerife-est at everything.

This ridiculous police tit (!!!!!) reeks of histrionics, not that I believe her version of events in the slightest. And it’s very uncomfortable as someone who’s never had to be part of AA but has had a loved one who did, to see how she talks about AA. All of that stuff isn’t ASD or ADHD, that seems like some pathological bleeping tit.

I do wish she’d get the help she needs. It IS sad watching someone humiliate themselves to this degree. And I think people who live their lives terminally online the way she seems to are sad generally. Ok, I do appreciate she’s being egged on by her naive (or ignorant) eager little squigs, and she’s clearly got herself into a mindset where they’re her Friends and anyone who dares question or even hint at criticisim of her is an Enemy (oh my god she IS kind of like a female Owen Jones isn’t she). But there’s got to be some small part of her that recognises what a douche she’s being with all the BS. Hasn’t there?!

We need a half decent journalist to save her from herself (and to save us from her of course, and to save the poor gullible squigs on lower incomes than she is yet donating money to her Patreon). Invite her on to your show, ostensibly to talk about the cost of living or food poverty or fuel poverty or whatever type of poverty is her main area of expertise this week, ask her a few softball questions THEN start booting the real tit at her: “Jack, some people have pointed out there are some inconsistencies in your backstory, can you explain [lists exact examples of BS]?”, “Jack, did your dad really fire a whacking great gun in a quiet residential street the other weekend?” “Jack, how much income do you receive through your Patreon each month?” that kind of thing. She’d have no choice but to go away and get her act together, maybe even learn some useful skills before coming back into the public eye.

Go on Jack, you could get better at being Jack Monroe. You’ve created this whole persona - why are you content with her being an easily called out bullshitter with what appears from the outside to be quite the personality disorder? Why don’t you want her to actually be smart and credible?

(ps if you’d told me even six weeks ago, never mind ten years ago, that I would be posting on a message board about Jack Monroe I would have thought you were bleeping bonkers, yet here I am, it’s making me laugh)
You don’t have to answer this, but I’d love to know what Jack was like when you knew her? Was she arrogant, shy… nice even??

ETA. Sorry, I should clarify, because that question is answered in the thread title!

What I mean is, what was she like one-on-one, since we’ve just been joking about how’s she probably one of these people you’d dread asking how they are.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I’m pretty behind dearhearts, I can’t wait to catch up on the latest round of bollock sausage.
Just wanted to say that the slop life is working it’s way into my everyday, I was apologising to this guy I’ve been talking to about replying to him late and without thinking said I’d ‘grunk’ out his messages later. Not even going to try and explain 😂

TOOT TOOT

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
“So DisgruntledGoat, tell us the names and factoids about two of the cleaners who, in this instance, we’re using as some kind of bizarre, classist prop”

“Well, Mike once gave me a Mars Bar for logging into his imprisoned son’s Facebook to write a post telling his pals he’d been sent down, and Sheila once said that the chief exec looked like the mum from the Wild Thornberries”*

*both actual interactions I’ve had in workplaces past.

I’ve always got on dead well with techies and cleaners and maintenance and security wherever I’ve worked because I’m chatty and to be quite honest they’re always the people with the best goss and who can get tit done for you when you’ve fucked up and forgotten/lost/broken something. They have a very particular type of power in workplaces. HOWEVER, the key identifier of success in the vast majority of workplaces is class, social capital and - in the fire service at least - being part of the secret handshake club. Jack can pretend as hard as she likes that Big Dave the Marxist insisted on doing a Mr Burns and asking how Bart, Lisa, and Expecting are doing or whatever, but it’s just performative nonsense coming from a wanker in a five bed detached pretending that it’s essential criteria for promotion.
It strongly honks of “my dad the big boss taught me this trick”
I can’t do patronizing small talk, I talked to or ignored people of any job title when I worked. I just talk to people it’s nice talking to. I avoid bosses who say things like “I talk to the receptionist, Bill, and our cleaner Janet, every day” like it’s a thing. I had an actual boss who said that like they were so good for bothering. head.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
So PQA is the standard competency-based interview. Meaning there is no way they would ask you to name staff as that’s not in the Job Spec is it? Anyway what if I tell you Bob the cleaner has a secret love child and Doris has gambling debts. How you gonna check?
Bob is the builder not the cleaner. And he talks to his vehicles so I think that would open a much bigger can of worms then a secret love child it is actually Sam with the secret love child, but he is one of their own and everyone knows that anyway

• Haha
Reactions: 28
It strongly honks of “my dad the big boss taught me this trick”
I can’t do patronizing small talk, I talked to or ignored people of any job title when I worked. I just talk to people it’s nice talking to. I avoid bosses who say things like “I talk to the receptionist, Bill, and our cleaner Janet, every day” like it’s a thing. I had an actual boss who said that like they were so good for bothering. head.
It’s like the rucksack analogy. No, I don’t carry around an imaginary rucksack with facts about everyone to pull out when we need to make human contact.

I carry around poo bags to pick up poo so everyone doesn’t stand in it.

ETA- just tunnel dog’s. I don’t go around and pick up all the poo I see.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
My tuppence worth:
The nasty malicious caller concerned for her welfare could have called the police a few days and they’ve only got round to checking today due to other demands. It isn’t unreasonable to complete a welfare check on someone who receives such serious threats as the ones Jack posts about. I don’t think the person reporting was doing so in a malicious way, so Jack is barking up the wrong tree as usual.
My other thought is:
Jack was actually being spoken to for something serious and using the ‘welfare check’ story as a diversion so that she can keep up appearances with her neighbours who would 100% have been curtain twitching.
I think it's been a concerned squig. If you type Jack Monroe Police report into the Twitter search function, there are years of squigs urging Jack to report threats and abuse, sometimes in response to now deleted Tweets from Jack and sometimes in response to her bleating about threats. You'll also find tweets of Jack complaining the police do nothing when she reports things. Maybe a squig that knows the system has tried to help her out, only for the police to call on Jack and find that the threats are coming from inside the bungalow.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 61
I think it's been a concerned squig. If you type Jack Monroe Police report into the Twitter search function, there are years of squigs urging Jack to report threats and abuse, sometimes in response to now deleted Tweets from Jack and sometimes in response to her bleating about threats. You'll also find tweets of Jack complaining the police do nothing when she reports things. Maybe a squig that knows the system has tried to help her out, only for the police to call on Jack and find that the threats are coming from inside the bungalow.
If the concerned squigs are paying basic attention then I wonder if they would have interpreted the whole Daddy’s Weapon tweet as a cry for help/sign of spiral.

I mean, it didn’t come as much of a shock to the Frauen but imagine if you genuinely followed someone and thought they were truthful and “normal” and battling in recovery only for them to then post an obvious ridiculous lie complete with them posing ridiculously holding a drink that may or may not have contained some level of alcohol along with mentions of other drinks that definitely do (OSH low alcohol beer) fairly shortly after having repeatedly mentioned how trolls and haters are after you and threatening you. Of course they’d be concerned, what did she expect?

• Wow
Reactions: 38
The fact that Jack is basically agreeing that the pay issue has been completely ignored until she came along is infuriating.

It‘s part of her overall arrogance that she’s only one doing anything.
You can see already what she's thinking with this. That'll it'll be like the Asda rice all over again. She'll shout on Twitter, big herself up with mentions of Big Boss meetings, then take all the credit again for an achievement that was never hers. That's what she's hoping.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
You can see already what she's thinking with this. That'll it'll be like the Asda rice all over again. She'll shout on Twitter, big herself up with mentions of Big Boss meetings, then take all the credit again for an achievement that was never hers. That's what she's hoping.
Ugh yes. That’s exactly what I’m worried about. I know there are bigger injustices in the world, but it will be her AGAIN taking credit for something that so many people have genuinely put work into.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 41

I caught up! Welcome and thanks for all you do!
From where you're standing, what's the Southend view on Jack's cooking? :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.