Jack Monroe #317 Poverty Contrepreneur

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been thinking about Harold (or possibly ‘Hilda’). Jack has stated that they have a ‘part time job in a little shop’, however they do seem to have quite a bit of money. I suspect this part time retail work is being seriously understated by Jack - and Harold or Hilda is likely to own a high end shop or small chain rather than just work Tuesday afternoons on minimum wage.
I did briefly consider whether Howard was Mary Portas but she does have a Twitter account.
Agree. It's like the crappy bungalow, she doesn't think she can be seen to have nice things in case it detracts from the poverty narrative. I'm guessing regional/middle manager type, maybe on average base salary with good bonus structure. Or has money from a previous job and has opened a "little shop" - lots of people in finance or whatever make their money then decide to do something else - I know someone who used to be high up in a sportswear brand who left to start a bakery.

Reactions: 27
If I wanted to shut down pregnancy rumours, I would simply say 'no I'm not pregnant!' rather than this 'people's bodies are none of your business, I am however going to protect my new child 🤞 from press intrusion'. But she doesn't want to shut down the rumours, whether she's pregnant or not, does she?
I don’t think Jack or any other woman should have to shut down rumours/speculation about what she’s doing with her body.

I agree her tweets were put out there for max attention, but honestly having people speculate if you are or aren’t pregnant feels tit, and you shouldn’t have to owe people an answer either way.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I wonder if Jack genuinely thinks she has done a good job of safeguarding SB's privacy 😬
She may not explicitly state 'J is at xyz today with x' but there is so much more to privacy than that. She has given away so much information about him, much of it very personal. Usually as an anecdote to highlight something about herself.
As for protecting him. Well we all know how he went cold and hungry when help was available. She has documented this herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Did she just accuse Jeremy Kyle of assault?
Given the circumstances that led to the whole Hopkins mess, I think it might be best to make sure that Jack is accusing the correct Jeremy of the correct thing.

And regarding sexuality. I've said before, and will doubtless say again, it's strange. I identify as bisexual, mostly, because I prefer the label. There are times where I've identified as gay, so I can't really complain about people changing how they identify. The "bi-cycle" is a real thing, and I get that it might cause people to be confused.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
She's been dropping hints about wanting another baby for a long time now. For years she insisted that SB would be one and done, just like her recipes, but that has changed...

For anyone who wasn't around then: in November, Jack posted on Twitter asking for girls' names beginning with C. She was actually talking about her new kitten (the one she lied about and now claims she was never going to keep). This led to a clickmill site churning out an "Is Jack Monroe pregnant?" article, which concluded that she wasn't. Nevertheless, Jack was HOWLING AND CLAWING, claiming journalists were emailing her for comment. She tweeted this:

Screenshot_20211116-211704_Twitter.jpg

There have been several more hints about babies and ovaries over the last year.

Incidentally, that rant presumably pre-dates Harold (speculation, but based on lights going on and off and breadcrumbing about special meals etc).

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 57
I don’t think Jack or any other woman should have to shut down rumours/speculation about what she’s doing with her body.
She didn't have to, though, did she? In fact she's doubtless just exacerbated speculation with last night's posts.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Her outfit in that photo looks cinched in at the waist to me. I don't think anyone messaged her with any questions. She is enjoying and wanting there to be speculation, which is why her wording is vague and sprinkled with little breadcrumbs 🤞.

Grow up, Jack.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Did she just accuse Jeremy Kyle of assault?
Yes she did. And it was fairly unambiguous 😬
And disclosing it to Jeremy Vine too. It was about 4am she tweeted that so I wonder if it will be deleted. When she is up later.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Having worked in secondary schools I can tell you having another baby with another man when your child is in their mid teens, terrible idea. It fucks them up. Just when they start needed your attention again mummy has a new family with a new fella. The kids always look sad.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
She didn't have to, though, did she? In fact she's doubtless just exacerbated speculation with last night's posts.
She may not have had to, but the way people start speculating a woman in her 20s/30s is pregnant at the drop of a hat is pretty gross and invasive imo.

Not drinking? Pregnant. Weight gain? Pregnant. Not well? Pregnant. Unflattering outfit? Pregnant.

Jack was spot on with her first tweet. Everything that came after was just to stir the pot though and get more people talking about it, I agree.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
She doesn’t want anyone to speculate on the raised part of her jumpsuit cos that’s where she stashed those awards she stole.

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Yes she did. And it was fairly unambiguous 😬
And disclosing it to Jeremy Vine too. It was about 4am she tweeted that so I wonder if it will be deleted. When she is up later.
It's been deleted already, probably not long after it was posted 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
Given the circumstances that led to the whole Hopkins mess, I think it might be best to make sure that Jack is accusing the correct Jeremy of the correct thing.

And regarding sexuality. I've said before, and will doubtless say again, it's strange. I identify as bisexual, mostly, because I prefer the label. There are times where I've identified as gay, so I can't really complain about people changing how they identify. The "bi-cycle" is a real thing, and I get that it might cause people to be confused.
Yeah, I identified as a lesbian for a few years because I genuinely was. Then something changed and I started feeling attracted to men 🤨 and now I'm dating one. It was pretty awkward being like "yeah, guess I'm bi actually 🤷🏻‍♀️" so I do feel for Jack here if OH is a man

ETA forgot to delete comment I half typed out at 1 am then didn't post lol

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
No, she didn’t. 4 people DMd her (I mean, they didn’t, she looked on here) - Direct Message. Private. Nobody else can see it. Therefore she did not have to bring it up.

However I’m not cool with comments on any woman’s body - it makes me angry.

I almost constantly look up duffed, regardless of my weight because I have a severe diastasis recti (spelling? I’m tired. Send sleepos) and the NHS now class it as cosmetic surgery (it ain’t - I have other issues related to it and years of physio have not changed that)

Being asked if I’m pregnant is horrible. I have a deep seated terror of it, for reasons I won’t go into cos I don’t want to get booted off the Fred.

By all means, her hair looks horrific and she needs a good wash - all indicators of spiralling mental health.

As for protecting her kid. I don’t upload photos of my kids to my social media (which has only family and close friends on) without asking their permission. It’s their image, they decide. I’ve been called a wanky woke parent for it, but I don’t give a duck.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Claire Sweeney, now that’s a name from the early noughties! The thinking man’s Denise Van Outen.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Having worked in secondary schools I can tell you having another baby with another man when your child is in their mid teens, terrible idea. It fucks them up. Just when they start needed your attention again mummy has a new family with a new fella. The kids always look sad.

I don’t think that’s the issue with Jack. The issue would be that she barely spends any time with SB, then has another child who is with her 24/7. That’s what would duck him up.

• Sad
Reactions: 23
She may not have had to, but the way people start speculating a woman in her 20s/30s is pregnant at the drop of a hat is pretty gross and invasive imo.

Not drinking? Pregnant. Weight gain? Pregnant. Not well? Pregnant. Unflattering outfit? Pregnant.

Jack was spot on with her first tweet. Everything that came after was just to stir the pot though and get more people talking about it, I agree.
Sorry but the speculation started in her DMs (it probably didn’t), she could have easily DM those 4 followers back, SHE brought it to her twitter to create a stir, so no she isn’t spot on, she’s dragged this to her feed to play the victim and get engagement. Massive pity harvesting like a Facebook hun. The sentiment is correct but it was unnecessarily represented by her and therefore she’s diluted the message…as always with her performative nonsense.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.