Jack Monroe #317 Poverty Contrepreneur

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Or hands surely?

A spider’s body isn’t.
😂😂😂 I don’t want to sound trite or patronising, and am aware i sound like a cliche. Just am also finding it awkward to read a lot of this chat, and wish I could do away with it altogether. Breaks my heart that such an awesome crew of fraus and herrs might feel crap about it x

ETA - Bleugh spiders!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Or hands surely?

A spider’s body isn’t.
The bodies aren't bad. It's the legs.
Back to Jack, I may be wrong but she might have posted that photo on purpose to get people talking? Just my opinion, m'lud but if she was self-conscious she wouldn't have uploaded that particular pic. I hate both my chins and never show anyone pics where they are visible.

• Heart
  • Haha
Can’t claim to speak for all lesbians but I’m one and I’ve seen us simply ask that bisexual women, especially those partnered with men, please not use the word “gay” or especially “lesbian” about themselves or speak as some kind of authority about lesbianism, when they’re not lesbians. It’s not very helpful and not very appreciated. In the same way, I recognise that there can sometimes be some biphobia in play on the lesbian side, but that said, you’ll see far more mainstream thinkpieces about bisexuals feeling marginalised in the community than about how lesbians feel about any of this.

To be fair to Jack, she’s gone beyond simple identifying (*waves at many female celebs*) and at least she’s actually been in visible lesbian relationships and perhaps she did at some point think she was a lesbian (I personally have my own view as to whether the last of those is the case though…but I digress). She will still qualify for Pride awards. If she wins any, personally I believe it would be helpful to hear the word bisexual, pansexual or fluid or something encompassing dating men getting used about her, optimally by herself. I would respect and appreciate that.
Fully agree. She’s always had casual relationships with men and said she’s attracted to them. That’s not lesbianism, even if she’s had many same-sex relationships.

She just thinks being called “lesbian” fits her image better.

• Sad
Jack apparently trying to get pregnant after only a few months if being with her “OH” reinforces my theory that she is deliberately engineering The Poverty 2. Being an “impoverished” “single mum” is her whole public identity, she doesn’t know what to do with herself now that people are cottoning on to her grift, and now that her son is nearly a teen and doesn’t live with her.

She’s pissing away her cash on shite, racking up CCJ’s, not paying her taxes and now trying to create a baby on top of it all. She’s determined to be bankrupt and a struggling mum again
I agree with that, but I'm also of the opinion that like all previous 'Mrs Jacks', Harold has got a few bob. Therefore, she's trying to get knocked up asap, to ensure ongoing funds will flow her way.

With previous partners, she was in a big old hurry to get married for the same reason. But this time - BONUS! OH is a bloke, so she need not bother with all the love bombing hasty engagement shite.

The grift never ends.

• Sad
Reactions: 33
I think OH is now in the box. Where he will remain hidden for as long as possible.
I doubt they have book launches for Jack anymore so we won’t even see him at that.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Can’t claim to speak for all lesbians but I’m one and I’ve seen us simply ask that bisexual women, especially those partnered with men, please not use the word “gay” or especially “lesbian” about themselves or speak as some kind of authority about lesbianism, when they’re not lesbians. It’s not very helpful and not very appreciated. In the same way, I recognise that there can sometimes be some biphobia in play on the lesbian side, but that said, you’ll see far more mainstream thinkpieces about bisexuals feeling marginalised in the community than about how lesbians feel about any of this.

To be fair to Jack, she’s gone beyond simple identifying (*waves at many female celebs*) and at least she’s actually been in visible lesbian relationships and perhaps she did at some point think she was a lesbian (I personally have my own view as to whether the last of those is the case though…but I digress). She will still qualify for Pride awards. If she wins any, personally I believe it would be helpful to hear the word bisexual, pansexual or fluid or something encompassing dating men getting used about her, optimally by herself. I would respect and appreciate that.
This is a really difficult issue to navigate and we all have differing views on it (as you have expressed). I think your last sentence says it all though and sums it up perfectly.

We aren’t a cohesive mass- we don’t speak as one lesbian. But she was a spokesperson for us at a certain point in time, she won awards and therefore there will be followers of hers who may feel let down if she says the “wrong” thing, if she says she is with a man, if she comes out pan or if she simply says nothing.

We all change. We can all be whoever, but again the issue with Jack is that, like all her other “things” (conditions, veganism), she made that part of her, her identity and everyone had to know. It didn’t have to be that way and with most people I know it never is.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
She looks okay in the photo, it’s taken from a funny angle and makes her tummy look a bit more pronounced than it is, that’s all.
And a bloated tummy (if that’s what it is) can have a whole host of causes beyond pregnancy. Irritable bowel. endometriosis etc….or even just the wrong time of the month.
Alternatively like a lot of us she’s just put on weight in lockdown.
But I seriously doubt anyone has DM’d her asking about pregnancy.

Reactions: 30
I definitely don’t speak for anyone other than myself (lesbian or not!) but I personally find it a bit iffy that Jack herself will happily claim to be a lesbian when it suits - and she definitely isn’t. How many times has she made out she doesn’t get shows/gigs/paying work because she is a tattooed lesbian leftie or some such nonsense?

If she claims pan/fluid or any such thing now, in my own personal opinion, it is in the same boat as when she was a scrummy mummy on the hunt for a man in those Facebook makeup groups, to her being a butch lesbian, to being trans for the Guardian, then NB since - and full circle to her make-up and girly jewellery, long hair wigs, Mary Poppins dress up etc etc, and now full circle - dating a man and cosplaying TTC. A coat to pop on if there is a few quid and/or exposure for brand Monroe to be had. And always at the expense of a genuine voice.

Again - just my opinion. Some people damage a cause by appropriating it - rather than giving it credence. Jack is in that category, for me.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 64
What’s she on with saying how fiercely she protects SB from the public eye? She’s always chucking him under the bus for stuff 😔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
I definitely don’t speak for anyone other than myself (lesbian or not!) but I personally find it a bit iffy that Jack herself will happily claim to be a lesbian when it suits - and she definitely isn’t. How many times has she made out she doesn’t get shows/gigs/paying work because she is a tattooed lesbian leftie or some such nonsense?

If she claims pan/fluid or any such thing now, in my own personal opinion, it is in the same boat as when she was a scrummy mummy on the hunt for a man in those Facebook makeup groups, to her being a butch lesbian, to being trans for the Guardian, then NB since - and full circle to her make-up and girly jewellery, long hair wigs, Mary Poppins dress up etc etc, and now full circle - dating a man and cosplaying TTC. A coat to pop on if there is a few quid and/or exposure for brand Monroe to be had. And always at the expense of a genuine voice.

Again - just my opinion. Some people damage a cause by appropriating it - rather than giving it credence. Jack is in that category, for me.
Absolutely spot on. 👏

Reactions: 21
Phil was there last night. No photos with Phil.

Interesting.

(not really, if I see a picture of Holly, I might throw my phone across the room though)

• Haha
Reactions: 22
She's never protected that child. And pregnancy in her state would be a real cause for concern.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Sorry for the early thread title nom - I was sure we were much further along in the pages! Jack threads are in their own special timewarp.

Who doesn’t plan an outfit for an awards ceremony before the day of?

Reactions: 24

I’m a bi woman and would have never called myself a lesbian, even when I was in years-long relationships with women, because I have always still had an attraction to men. It’s so disrespectful to lesbians who have it really tough, even among the LGBT community. Unfortunately, Jack seems to see it as some sort of branding opportunity.

If I were a lesbian, I think I’d feel disappointed if a public figure who insisted they were a lesbian started dating men. It plays into a lot of tired old homophobic stereotypes about how it’s just a phase, or they’ll find the right man. It’s like when Jessie J came out as bi, then later went back and said she was straight. It brought up a lot of biphobic tropes about how bisexuals are just confused or experimenting.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
Ffs is she actually trying to suggest she’s trying for a baby but having fertility problems? Are my comprehension skills fucked or is she just as weasely with her words as ever? That’s how I’m reading it. Also. Screenies or it didn’t happen, hun. You’re telling me the picture YOU have only just posted has caused a flurry of DMs at 5am? Sure, Jan.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.