Jack Monroe #314 Take care on the stairs you pretend to fall down repeatedly

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Great find!

To clarify, she left the fire service after she came back from maternity leave. She quit in November 2011, SB was born in March 2010.
Ahh I'm not up on ancient Monroe history. So she quit in November but still has £175 (or £86 if she just got a day ticket) to spare in March 2012 to pay for festival tickets. Plus presumably travel costs and a bit of spending money.

Screenshot_20220529-085422.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
3rd generation. How bleeping desperate to be special.
I went to a catholic school and almost everyone’s grandparents or their parents were Irish/Italian, sometimes the kids were themselves. Know who called themselves an immigrant, no one.
You aren’t special Jack, just very average.
Too EARLY! 🤣🤣
This though is the fundamental problem for our smol pixie isn’t it?! Desperate to be unique and quirky but fundamentally bland and dull.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
She really fancies herself as Veronica Mars doesn’t she? Ya not though, Jack. Using Google to find news article does not a Deep Dive nor PI nor Paralegal make

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I think we all need to go to a school hall, get some scissors and glue, get given a piece of A3 paper and month each from 2009 and do a giant timeline.

This is fecking mind blowing.

(obvs gel pens and highlighters too)

Then we need some serious digging pre 2009 to find the ~origins~.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 81
Ahh I'm not up on ancient Monroe history. So she quit in November but still has £175 (or £86 if she just got a day ticket) to spare in March 2012 to pay for festival tickets. Plus presumably travel costs and a bit of spending money.

View attachment 1302279
The funny thing is that she briefly got a part-time job in a pub in March (this is what led to her getting into debt as it caused issues with her benefits. She quit after a few weeks). I wouldn't be at all surprised if she got the job and immediately bought festival tickets to celebrate.

Reactions: 51
In the fb sale posts she mentions “other people buying my food”

No mention of a foodbank but I suppose the words could be twisted.

Reactions: 42
V fest 2012 tickets went on sale in March 2012 (27th Feb for virgin media customers)
When she was selling laptops and turning off heating.

View attachment 1302241

Weekend tickets with camping were £175 for the one in staffs (although I assume she'd go to Chelmsford- not sure if they are different prices)

View attachment 1302254

Also also, I thought she left the fire service when pregnant? Was she planning on taking SB? Or perhaps she had at least some support network?
If I remember right, V fest did a limited number of early access tickets for the following year not long after that years’ festival had finished. So it’s possible she bought the ticket for the 2012 festival in August/September 2011. Then the main sale would have gone live in March 2012.

Reactions: 31
The funny thing is that she briefly got a part-time job in a pub in March (this is what led to her getting into debt as it caused issues with her benefits. She quit after a few weeks). I wouldn't be at all surprised if she got the job and immediately bought festival tickets to celebrate.
That sounds about right.

I'm generally one for saying people should spend their earnings/benefits how they want, but equally when people who claim to be budgeting experts from a time of poverty are doing things like that...

Reactions: 32
In the fb sale posts she mentions “other people buying my food”

No mention of a foodbank but I suppose the words could be twisted.
The foodbank came later, IIRC first mentioned in December 2012. At this point she was still getting an Abel & Cole veg box. What was that phrase again? Notoriously good with money?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
I wish I had the time to build a giant timeline with receipts for jack's story, so we could see the 5 different dates for each event etc

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Re: her handwritten edits at this late stage of the production process - I can’t imagine the rage I’d feel if my employer said I had to implement handwritten, fairly significant changes to the manuscript at this stage. I’m assuming she can’t use Adobe / pdf editing tools? What a pain in the arse for the person having to amend her proofs.

I’m probably mithering as I don’t work in the cookbook / the next me-moir of boring, grasping lives of people who can’t cook or write sector - buuuuut, still. She must be fairly mollycoddled.
Is Jack claiming that the garlic jam recipe is from her new cook book or just using on old recipe to demonstrate her editing process (and forgetting to mention it)

if you Google bootstrap cook and garlic jam you can see It is really similar, wording included, if a recipe from 8 years ago.

I would call Jack ingenious, but she never said it was from her new book Did SHE!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
Interviewed in the local papers, fliers, FB. It was all very dramatic wasn’t it. There’s definitely been some sort of breech with her parents and I can’t help wondering how much of this very public sale was to embarrass them.
If Southend is anything at all like my neck of the woods, this sale through debt would have caused a huge amount of gossip and speculation much of it centred round why her family wasn’t stepping in.
As to the huge leccy bill, why on earth didn’t she just get a prepay meter in and pay the bill back in instalments?
Because middle class people think being on a key meter is the worst thing ever. You see this all the time on mumsnet. Absolute rubbish. They're the ones crying now because their DDs have doubled . I'm putting pretty much the same on my key as I was this time last year. So thankful I kept my key meter, even though I paid my debt off many years ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Is Jack claiming that the garlic jam recipe is from her new cook book or just using on old recipe to demonstrate her editing process (and forgetting to mention it)

if you Google bootstrap cook and garlic jam you can see It is really similar, wording included, if a recipe from 8 years ago.

I would call Jack ingenious, but she never said it was from her new book Did SHE!
The funny thing is she just copy/pasted it from her website. The recipe in the photo she shared yesterday has random underlined words like baking sheet, heavy-bottomed pan, and tea towel. They're underlined because they were affiliate links on her blog (until the great crash, send crack team of engineeros).

20220529_100843.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 100
The funny thing is she just copy/pasted it from her website. The recipe in the photo she shared yesterday has random underlined words like baking sheet, heavy-bottomed pan, and tea towel. They're underlined because they were affiliate links on her blog (until the great crash, send crack team of engineeros).

View attachment 1302317
I wondered why they were underlined. I thought at first it was because they were essential items (non-food related) needed for the recipe but that didn’t make sense.

She really is the laziest writer ever.

Reactions: 50

View attachment 1302317
That’s why there’s still wine in it then. She’s just using old content. That’s really not cool if you’re selling this to people. Still this is the woman who thought eggy bread and pizza toast were acceptable as “recipes”

to hark back to her saying she had a breakdown from self publishing…literally thousands of people self publish now, and they don’t have 68k to play with!! I mean, she didn’t even have that many backers really did she?? It’s hardly difficult.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I wondered why they were underlined. I thought at first it was because they were essential items (non-food related) needed for the recipe but that didn’t make sense.

She really is the laziest writer ever.
I noticed it because her aff links always used to make me laugh. She did them in such a half-assed way, for all kinds of random stupid items. Who's gonna buy tea towels on Amazon FFS?

• Haha
Reactions: 44
I think we all need to go to a school hall, get some scissors and glue, get given a piece of A3 paper and month each from 2009 and do a giant timeline.

This is fecking mind blowing.

(obvs gel pens and highlighters too)

Then we need some serious digging pre 2009 to find the ~origins~.
Hmm we may be past the point of doing this analogue. We need some sort of productivity software so we can keep track of the different years and multiple stories. Then we can hire a project manager to oversee and collate the info, and get a custom database made so we can cross reference the LIES upon LIES.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
I hope OH with the big car hasn't left, someone should take jack down to Lidl as it's Greek week. Check your Lidl plus card for 10% off Greek food! Cream cheese rolled in green olives with a feta and kalamata center 😋
You just know we're going to get a picture of all of those things presented as a home made meze.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.