Jack Monroe #305 How incredibly, depressingly, tedious

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has she seriously not mentioned the kickyball?
I thought she was the biggest Liverpool fan ever to have lived 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Apparently so, it's from a refugee charity. I really hope people aren't welcomed to the UK with Jacks's recipes including salmon paste noodles 😬

How on earth are people who have fled to this country following war/persecution/torture all supposed to be able to decrypt that bollocks? Not every refugee is literate, not every refugee is fluent enough in English to be able to extract some actual instructions from that Graphorrheic exudae.

Handing a refugee that nonsense is a racist microaggression - because it makes clear (unlike the cooking process) that they don't belong here.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
Tbh. As far as I’m concerned that’s irrelevant and I’m not having a dig at you here. Irrespective of whether she got the job because of her connections if she was shite at it that shouldn’t have been an issue. However. The fact that she tried to rescind her resignation and they wouldn’t allow her to change her mind suggests something was wrong

Im going to be uncharacteristically kind to Jack here and say that I think it’s rather off that they wouldn’t allow her to change her mind. She had a kid. For me the issue is if you are tit at your job a good manager should address it and deal with it.

I think she’s a horror but however it broke down I expect there must have been faults on both sides. I’ve managed staff and if someone wasn’t performing I would deal with it and I’ve had to. I once had an employee that was hired at the same time as me. I had zero input into his employment but he was a car crash and he was working with vulnerable people as well. If you are a good manager you deal with work issues.

I also get that some people might have backed off because of who her dad was ... but they shouldn’t have if that was the case
Definitely think there was some issue with her work that they let her go so easily. Not to martyr myself but I'm a good worker and anytime I've resigned from a role I've been asked to reconsider. One manager actually refused to accept my resignation. I can only think that there was an issue with Jack or her work that they so readily accepted her leaving and didn't do anything to try accommodate her in any way, despite her family connections.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
It's amazing what songs stay with you, "you raise me up" was on the TV the morning I heard my cousin died.
Perhaps the strangest example of this for me is the song Supreme by Robbie Williams.

It will always remind me of 9/11, because the local commercial radio station played it as I walked into my house on that afternoon. The opening lines are ... kind of inappropriate, given the timing:

Oh, it seems forever stopped today / all the lonely hearts in London caught a plane and flew away

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Tbh. As far as I’m concerned that’s irrelevant and I’m not having a dig at you here. Irrespective of whether she got the job because of her connections if she was shite at it that shouldn’t have been an issue. However. The fact that she tried to rescind her resignation and they wouldn’t allow her to change her mind suggests something was wrong

Im going to be uncharacteristically kind to Jack here and say that I think it’s rather off that they wouldn’t allow her to change her mind. She had a kid. For me the issue is if you are tit at your job a good manager should address it and deal with it.

I think she’s a horror but however it broke down I expect there must have been faults on both sides. I’ve managed staff and if someone wasn’t performing I would deal with it and I’ve had to. I once had an employee that was hired at the same time as me. I had zero input into his employment but he was a car crash and he was working with vulnerable people as well. If you are a good manager you deal with work issues.

I also get that some people might have backed off because of who her dad was ... but they shouldn’t have if that was the case
She was probably wholly unsuited to the role in the first instance, and only got it because of her dad. She failed the first interview, so he showed her around the control room and she did another interview and got it.

Surely some employees are beyond help!

• Heart
Reactions: 24
" It is 2014, I am living in London, working as part of a consultancy job for a high-street chain of popular restaurants. "

I wonder what the germ of truth was behind this anecdote.

• Haha
Reactions: 55
" It is 2014, I am living in London, working as part of a consultancy job for a high-street chain of popular restaurants. "

Dropped in for lunch, gave the waiter some unhelpful advice about adding more black pepper

• Haha
Reactions: 46

Allegra probably gave her a little job to keep her occupied.

• Haha
Reactions: 52
Her writing always reads like a script by the "Legz Akimbo" theatre company from the league of gentlemen.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.