Jack Monroe #294 It's like 10,000 tweets when all you need is a life.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Spotted this abandoned little fella on the school run. If Jack can get herself to 1 Spoon Street, Spoonland she can rescue another desserted spoon for her endless collection.

A387D413-A8B6-4D45-AF36-DE2FD1FE2022.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 78
Just noticed that Jack follows the person being racist against "the Hindutva" at the end of the previous thread. Nice.
Not only that but the racist person is a big Corbyn stan. But also claims they have followed Jack for years. How can they not see what we see? Nice of Jack to condone racism and not for the first time. Paging investigative journo because Jack has pulled a blinder on the media and nation.
This gushing bollocks from Nige is a case in point unless Jack is holding her hostage and force feeding slop.
20220425_114149.png

• Sick
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 85
Just noticed that Jack follows the person being racist against "the Hindutva" at the end of the previous thread. Nice.
What does “hindutva” mean? It’s not a term I’ve heard before so it must take a special brand of racist to go in and attack like that.

Reactions: 30
Not only that but the racist person is a big Corbyn stan. But also claims they have followed Jack for years. How can they not see what we see? Nice of Jack to condone racism and not for the first time. Paging investigative journo because Jack has pulled a blinder on the media and nation.
This gushing bollocks from Nige is a case in point unless Jack is holding her hostage and force feeding slop.
View attachment 1219999
Kitchen Savant is not only inaccurate but also as someone who is says she is Autistic, I'm surprised that Jack is not mightily and justly offended by that comment. It perpetuates the image of a few autistic individuals being oh so specially gifted as per Rainman. Decades out of date viewpoint. Sending Mom even further down in my estimation. Never mind the fact that Jack is not a naturally instinctive or gifted cook

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
Just jumping in to say THANK [space] YOU to the posters in the last thread who explained why the Vimes Boot Index is called the Vimes Boot Index. I never picked up a Pratchett book in my youth because the cover art was so off putting. True fact!

Anyway… I don’t understand how this analogy applies to food poverty. In the Pratchett example, it’s basically what my Dad would call “buy cheap buy twice”. A man who can only afford shoddy boots ends up spending more on boots over ten years than a man who can afford quality boots.

How does that example apply to food? Because it doesn’t track that people who can only afford cheap food end up spending more on food over time than people with bigger budgets.

Clearly I’m missing a key point so feel free to clue me in.
the closest I can get to it is that if you're broke you can't buy in bulk or stock up when things are on offer, so you end up spending more long term. but this only applies to certain food stuff so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 32
What does “hindutva” mean? It’s not a term I’ve heard before so it must take a special brand of racist to go in and attack like that.
IDK, a google brings up this ....

Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 12.02.41.png

and also this

Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 12.04.35.png

Seems complicated and I assume the person Jack's following is using it in a derogatory manner.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
It's a political/nationalist Hindu movement. I have literally no idea why she thinks it applies to that squig at all.

Reactions: 33
Squigg is really poking the hornet’s nest
1650884806197.png

Also regarding the texture thing. If textures are an issue then surely putting everything all in one and not having separate things would be quite challenging for someone with sensory issues in that they wouldn’t know what they were going to get in each mouthful?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 60
Nigella calling Jack's bletherings 'succinct' just goes to show she's never really listened to or read any of Jack's work. Unless Mom doesn't know what succinct means..?

• Haha
View attachment 1219999
Kitchen savant ffs. A savant in the grift.

Reactions: 32
Just jumping in to say THANK [space] YOU to the posters in the last thread who explained why the Vimes Boot Index is called the Vimes Boot Index. I never picked up a Pratchett book in my youth because the cover art was so off putting. True fact!

Anyway… I don’t understand how this analogy applies to food poverty. In the Pratchett example, it’s basically what my Dad would call “buy cheap buy twice”. A man who can only afford shoddy boots ends up spending more on boots over ten years than a man who can afford quality boots.

How does that example apply to food? Because it doesn’t track that people who can only afford cheap food end up spending more on food over time than people with bigger budgets.

Clearly I’m missing a key point so feel free to clue me in.
It doesn’t apply to food Jack is just one of those thick people who thinks they are actually very clever. Well, clever in some ways but very definitely not clever in other. Mainly self-awareness.

The hilarious thing is, Pratchett shamelessly nicked the idea himself. I’m sure he would have credited it somewhere, but I guarantee Jack didn’t know it was originally from the ragged trousered philanthropist.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 57
Squigg is really poking the hornet’s nest
View attachment 1220028

Also regarding the texture thing. If textures are an issue then surely putting everything all in one and not having separate things would be quite challenging for someone with sensory issues in that they wouldn’t know what they were going to get in each mouthful?
That's exactly the issue my boys' have. Sauces are really difficult for them. If I cook mince for the one that can eat it, I can only use onion and gravy, every thing else, potatoes and veggies is separate, that way he can eat it. I used to cook it with peas and carrots etc in the gravy but it "wasn't right" and therefore couldn't be eaten.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Nigella calling Jack's bletherings 'succinct' just goes to show she's never really listened to or read any of Jack's work. Unless Mom doesn't know what succinct means..?
Do you think Jack wrote it for her to read out, it did sound scripted x

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Kitchen Savant is not only inaccurate but also as someone who is says she is Autistic, I'm surprised that Jack is not mightily and justly offended by that comment. It perpetuates the image of a few autistic individuals being oh so specially gifted as per Rainman. Decades out of date viewpoint. Sending Mom even further down in my estimation. Never mind the fact that Jack is not a naturally instinctive or gifted cook
She did claim putting together her hideous combinations was part of her 'autistic super powers', so she'd take it as a compliment.

Nigella wants force feeding Jack's slop. Then see what she's got to say for herself.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Hinting at SB having sensory issues now? First we’ve heard of it? Ghoul.

• Angry
  • Heart
She did claim putting together her hideous combinations was part of her 'autistic super powers', so she'd take it as a compliment.

Nigella wants force feeding Jack's slop. Then see what she's got to say for herself.
Yeah make Nigella follow one of the shite meal plans for a week, see if she's still saying Jack's such a bleeping kitchen savant then.

• Haha
Reactions: 63
VBI; my understanding
Jack claims that the ONS are inaccurately tracking data because the “basket” items they track are skewed to middle class shopping habits and don’t take into account how poors shop. ( although she also claims poors should be able to eat the same ingredients as rich people, she has also claimed poors can’t eat croissants so 🤷‍♀️). This may be true and is an interesting theory, but would need a big groups of analysts and economists to get to the bottom of this theory.

However she then claimed that the ONS were wrong because they assumed the items they price track for inflation are deemed essential by the ONS. I don’t think this is true, I think regardless of need the items raise in price and hence inflation is tracked. She made this claim in the slop radio show.

Even if the ONS were to use different items to track inflation (they do regularly update the items based on trends) then they would no doubt have databases tracking prices of products daily over many years, Supermarkets will have this exact same data.

I don’t understand how a smol pixie thinks they can write some little notes on ivy leaves and produce crumpled receipts and this somehow be more useful than thousands of analysts work & databases. The people who believe this have either never had a “office” job or have no grounding in reality.

The bit in the slop radio show when she said “ luckily I have years of receipts stored away so already have the data” is laughable and insulting to anyone who works for a living, or understands facts.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 67
Your regular reminder that Jack Monroe tells lies all the time. To quote a squig, at this point it's pathological

Screenshot_20220425-213016_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220425-212705_Chrome.jpg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
Years ago she claimed SB was autistic. Then relatively recently, she said he was not.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.