Jack Monroe #293 Georgia Church Suppers, just like MamaPapa used to make!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In Atlanta, peas are creasy
In Southend, jack's beans are greasy
Georgia's capital is Tblisi

Sorry, I'm tired

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Jack's awfully quiet, has OH whisked her off to an Eastern European hoedown?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72
I just texted my best friend (she's Romanian, lives in Iasi which is pronounced Yash! I know not all Eastern European countries are interchangeable but I thought she might have a better idea than me) to ask her how to pronounce Tblisi, told her why and her response was 'you are crazy, I could tell you how Georgians say it but am not going to tell you because it is Saturday night and I think you need to get a life' 😭🙈🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 112
That was nice to see. I hadn't seen Andy since he was pushing the button in the CD factory the moment that years pop idol winner was crowned.
He has a part in toy story 2! He’s the one who says to close up the plane when they’re in the luggage area. It was a segment on GMTV, the only other one I remember was David Blaine and we all screamed when he did the hand thing.

Tbf I’m sure kids scream when they see Jack’s morning TV appearances for fear of the slop being their dinner that night 😭

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
I’m so happy my exploding depression mozzarella has made youse smile today!

No matter how bad it gets check your dairy expiration dates fraus.
You can actually freeze mozzarella. #supersaver

Then I like to to defrost it on my sunniest window sill, carefully stab the pack to release the gases and pour the defrosty juice over a pineapple to cook it.
#sciencefacts

You can pop the mozzarella ball on a radiator to dry out for a few weeks and softly blitz it with curly kale for a luxurious shower gel.
#nowastehack

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 68
I just texted my best friend (she's Romanian, lives in Iasi which is pronounced Yash! I know not all Eastern European countries are interchangeable but I thought she might have a better idea than me) to ask her how to pronounce Tblisi, told her why and her response was 'you are crazy, I could tell you how Georgians say it but am not going to tell you because it is Saturday night and I think you need to get a life' 😭🙈🙄
You don’t need that type of negativity in your life. Block her and move the duck on.

• Haha
Reactions: 71
I just texted my best friend (she's Romanian, lives in Iasi which is pronounced Yash! I know not all Eastern European countries are interchangeable but I thought she might have a better idea than me) how to pronounce Tblisi, told her why and her response was 'you are crazy, I could tell you how Georgians say it but am not going to tell you because it is Saturday night and I think you need to get a life' 😭🙈🙄
did you have this conversation all by text? PLEASE show us your explanation text! Pleeeease!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
That was nice to see. I hadn't seen Andy since he was pushing the button in the CD factory the moment that years pop idol winner was crowned.
My old boss, who is 🔺 a lawyer/senior civil servant was in the final 2 to be a presenter on CBBC and Andy Peters got the job 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 49
I'm obsessed with aunt sandy, her recipes are jack level but she's a joy to watch. There's a channel uploading her stuff every day. Now, cocktail time!
Reading these I was 100% picturing Paula Deen (who is maybe more like a Deep South Ina, would we say?)

• Haha
Reactions: 24
did you have this conversation all by text? PLEASE show us your explanation text! Pleeeease!
Unfortunately after my initial 'do you know how a georgian person would pronounce Tblisi' the rest of the convo was voice notes! I wish I could transcribe the messages and her tone of absolute incredulousity (is that even a word?!) as it was hilarious 🤣 she's used to me though, all part of the joys of being the BFF of JCC

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Reading these I was 100% picturing Paula Deen (who is maybe more like a Deep South Ina, would we say?)
I absolutely adore Paula Deen. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her use a single fresh ingredient.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Could we add a poll to the thread to see who thinks Jack made the mistake because she:

A) owns Georgia Church Suppers but has never read it and couldn't even make the effort to take it off the shelf and look at it before recommending it.

B) owns it and has read it and cooked from it and STILL thinks it's about the country not the state.

C) has never owned or read the book, but googled "Georgia cookbook" and the rest is history.

D) was referring to another Georgian church based cookbook which you won't have heard of as she's working on it behind the scenes and obscured its identity as she doesn't want the author to be attacked by evil vicious trolls. HAVE A LOVELY EVENING!
I’m going to go with (C), because I did a Google search for “Georgian cookbooks”, and came up with this (see link).
It is supposed to be a curated list of 10 cookbooks celebrating Georgian (the country) cuisine. Of the 10 books listed:
- 7 are indeed about Georgia the country (or a wider area that includes Georgia), including Supra which is in Jack’s list.
- 1 is about the Georgian era (😂).
- 2 are about Georgia the US state (including the “church suppers” book).
I reckon Jack did the same search. Forensic!

Spoilsport! 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
With Jack’s love of appropriating gen X nostalgia I’m surprised she’s never done a “remember when British McDonald’s sold root beer” tweet.
As an actual Gen X frau, I was just about to fondly reminisce about the days when I’d have a root beer with my McDonalds. 😂 The day they stopped selling root beer was a very sad one for me. Nowadays, I get my delicious A&W root beer from the nice Asian supermarket in town.

ETA- Re the poll. I’m going to go with C. She probably just Googled it like the twit she is. I bet she doesn’t own any such cookbook herself.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.