Jack Monroe #293 Georgia Church Suppers, just like MamaPapa used to make!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why smile not cheesy?
Lost on way to Tbilisi.
Knew I could rely on you. 😝

I think the very funniest bit of it all was her declaration that a book she’d obviously never heard of, let alone looked at, was (checks notes) “an absolute banger”.
That was the best part for me too. The fact that out of her cookbook list, she'd managed to single out the one glaring lie. On that note, I'd like to say that Celery has always been my favourite part of Edinburgh. An absolute banger. Shoutout to my friend Georgia, also a very nice area.

OT question: has anyone tried root beer and don't you think it's like drinking liquid germolene? Asking because of Jack's 'I LOVE THE SMELL OF GERMOLENE' tweet at the start of this thread (in the innocent, pre-Georgia date of 292 B.G).

Edited to add: at the start of last thread. Omg, all of these Georgia dates are giving me bad mentals.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Ohhh! A thread title! I’m away to celebrate with some chicken salad puffs and buffalo dip.

I think the fact that she sneakily seemed to get away with last night’s chaos will embolden her. I predict a superchaos incoming. Hopefully tomorrow!

That was the best part for me too. The fact that out of her cookbook list, she'd managed to single out the one glaring lie. On that note, I'd like to say that Celery has always been my favourite part of Edinburgh. An absolute banger. Shoutout to my friend Georgia, also a very nice area.

OT question: has anyone tried root beer and don't you think it's like drinking liquid germolene? Asking because of Jack's 'I LOVE THE SMELL OF GERMOLENE' tweet at the start of this thread (in the innocent, pre-Georgia date of 292 B.G).
I tried it a few years ago when bbq restaurants were trendy in Belfast and one of them was selling it. Was like drinking DR Pepper mixed with toothpaste. Horrible stuff

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 41
Shameless promo for another thread if you're into awful American cooking.

She made a gazpacho with orange juice, chicken broth and thawed frozen stir-fry veg 🤣

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 56

This has just made me think of Alan Partridge saying 'Dr Pepper is just fizzy Benalyn' and Jack is a real life Partridge, even the 'not the face, I've got a photoshoot with Vision Express' sounds more tragi-comic as 'not the face, I've got a 2 minute montage on Lorraine!'

• Haha
Reactions: 47
I so wish the follow up tweet was still there so an innocent squiggle could ask her what her favourite recipe was from the "banger" Georgia Church Suppers.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
I fear for Polish chef Damian and his suggested fundraiser with Jack. He has obviously made the schoolboy error of thinking she is some sort of competent chef. There is simply no way on earth she can cater for 500 people. She will only be an impediment. He will end up doing all of the work, but with added extra work and stress on top because she will do a multiple chaos. Don’t do it Damian!
It’s a shame cos he seems genuine. He has actually been involved in fundraising for Ukraine and delivering supplies to the country over the last few weeks. He also cooks for the local homeless community where he has his restaurant.
Whereas WTF has Jack done? I mean, actually done? Not invisible stuff like the Vimes Boots Index. Not recipes for gruesome calorie-deficient nutrition-deficient bowls of gruel costing 29p which no one in their right is going to cook. Measurable achievements? Anyone ..?

Well, the guy's going to need some waitresses and somebody to run the coat drop, isn't he?

• Haha
Reactions: 33

I believe root beer is one of Jacks favourite Eastern European treats- "an absolute banger" is how she describes it.

To answer your question, yes I tried it in Edinburgh of all places. I have never been so disappointed in all my life.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I so wish the follow up tweet was still there so an innocent squiggle could ask her what her favourite recipe was from the "banger" Georgia Church Suppers.
It will always be Brenda's bangers for me 💏💚

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I fear for Polish chef Damian and his suggested fundraiser with Jack. He has obviously made the schoolboy error of thinking she is some sort of competent chef. There is simply no way on earth she can cater for 500 people. She will only be an impediment. He will end up doing all of the work, but with added extra work and stress on top because she will do a multiple chaos. Don’t do it Damian!
It’s a shame cos he seems genuine. He has actually been involved in fundraising for Ukraine and delivering supplies to the country over the last few weeks. He also cooks for the local homeless community where he has his restaurant.
Whereas WTF has Jack done? I mean, actually done? Not invisible stuff like the Vimes Boots Index. Not recipes for gruesome calorie-deficient nutrition-deficient bowls of gruel costing 29p which no one in their right is going to cook. Measurable achievements? Anyone ..?
*If* this proposed collab goes ahead, which hopefully it won’t because some kind soul will brief him on exactly the kind of person JM is, we can pretty much guarantee a Jaccident will occur the day before / morning of, meaning she sadly cannot take part.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
With Jack’s love of appropriating gen X nostalgia I’m surprised she’s never done a “remember when British McDonald’s sold root beer” tweet.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
*If* this proposed collab goes ahead, which hopefully it won’t because some kind soul will brief him on exactly the kind of person JM is, we can pretty much guarantee a Jaccident will occur the day before / morning of, meaning she sadly cannot take part.
Surely, once he starts talking menu planning and hears Jack's suggestions he'll back off.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Would love to be a fly on the wall when she suggests her bollock sausage & coconut milk slopanoff, or a vegetable peeling based borscht. Chefs kiss.

ETA I’m aware these are not Ukrainian dishes, but all Eastern European (and North American) cuisine is interchangeable x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.