Jack Monroe #291 What about the price of hummus?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't stand the way she reduces the whole problem of the cost of living to just evil Tories. Nothing else. It's that simple.

Could it not be a complicated picture including many things. Such as rising middle classes across the world competing for resources, automation replacing jobs, people not wanting to pay a Nordic level of tax, an aging population, state pension not pegged to life expectancy etc.

Printing money may also be a factor as they've been stealthy doing since 2008 and which Jack thinks doing way more of it and giving it to people will solve it all.
I was in the US over Easter and the news stories were almost exactly the same as here. Cost of living crisis, food bank usage up, people being interviewed who were at breaking point over how to feed their families and pay their bills. I hate the way Jack makes me defend people and institutions I dislike but the Tories didn’t cause the cost of living crises, its global. What can justifiably be critiqued is the Tory response, but she’s unable to make the distinction.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
I was in the US over Easter and the news stories were almost exactly the same as here. Cost of living crisis, food bank usage up, people being interviewed who were at breaking point over how to feed their families and pay their bills. I hate the way Jack makes me defend people and institutions I dislike but the Tories didn’t cause the cost of living crises, its global. What can justifiably be critiqued is the Tory response, but she’s unable to make the distinction.
If she thinks buying a house is bad here, then she needs to get herself over to the US.

Idiot.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 38
I sometimes feel as if I live in a parallel universe.
I had a meal on Monday that included a salad so when I was looking for some lunch earlier I grated some cheese, boiled an egg and had salad for a nice easy meal. I don't need to 'smuggle' fruit or vegetables into my mouth as I'm a big girl now and know that I need to eat them or I will get poorly-sick and possibly rickets (alas, I don't have any bus tickets).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Leaving this here without comment.
View attachment 1210512
Why doesn't she go back to the fire service, then?

Her son is clearly not living with her full time (the menu plan speaks to that, if nothing else). Apparently working eleventy billion hours a week is only earning her £34, so she'd be no worse off.

Of course, the reason she doesn't go back is because the fire service doesn't bloody want her back.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 79
Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 15.43.48.png

Jack's published the full transcript of what she said in Parliament in 2013. There is NO MENTION of UBI. There is, however, this, in which she wants to "incentivise work over benefits." I'm wondering if she thinks UBI is another term for minimum wage, or what?

Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 15.45.28.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
Squiggles pesto looks like it would give you botulism just by looking at it.

Going rogue and off topic to provide a public health warning - in the spirit of Pringles and growlers

📢 DO NOT GOOGLE MR TUMBLE CAR EXHAUST 📢
If you say do not google then obviously the first thing I will do is google it. I guessed what it would be but still MY EYES 🫣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
View attachment 1210516

Jack's published the full transcript of what she said in Parliament in 2013. There is NO MENTION of UBI. There is, however, this, in which she wants to "incentivise work over benefits." I'm wondering if she thinks UBI is another term for minimum wage, or what?

View attachment 1210519
"incentivise work over benefits" is such a classic Tory phrase. She's letting her inner Margaret out again.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 75
I'm curious to know why Jack was so critical of Corbyn? What reasons did she give?
He’s too much of a lefty and not Tory enough?
I actually still hoot 🦉 at the memory of her emailing him with the sign off “your comrade, Jack”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Even if the economy were booming, Jack would be unable to acknowledge it, for fear of spoling her grift.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Going rogue and off topic to provide a public health warning - in the spirit of Pringles and growlers

📢 DO NOT GOOGLE MR TUMBLE CAR EXHAUST 📢
That was actually the least bad of the three. I’m desensitized from being on mumsnet where that woman said she shagged him when they were at uni.
That car exhaust picture was 20% less vile than the bean bean coconut sloup with rotted fig innard topping Jack produced yesterday, according to the Hotes Vile Bilge Index.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Political jack is pretty similar to the simple answers to complicated problems mentality that ended up in trump getting elected.

Her politics is as deep as 3 word catchphrases like build the wall.

• Wow
Reactions: 40
"incentivise work over benefits" is such a classic Tory phrase. She's letting her inner Margaret out again.
It's absolutely mad that she would say this in 2013, when she was also saying how she applied for a bazillion jobs but no one wanted her.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
LOL. If she's ever so much as donated a box of Mr Kipling slices to the "school fete" (are they even called that anymore? Another Enid Blyton-ism), let alone baked anything for it, I'll eat my pigskin hat. And hers.

View attachment 1210516

View attachment 1210519
duck offffffff did she say that!? This needs to go in the Bad Politics section of the wiki because she sounds like a raging Tory here. Like with the "watching Jeremy Kyle and eating burgers" comments, she really can't stop her inner middle-class sneering witch from coming out.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
I’m still grunking the new thread but wanted to commend Jack on outdoing the very work of Jesus Christ miraculously feeding 5000,with how much food they’ve produced with their pork bellies.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.