Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I tell you what, I'm only on thread 8 and it seems like every time I move to the next one you lot have filled up three more! I'm going to have to take a week's holiday from work just to catch up so we're on the same page at this rate :ROFLMAO:
You just need to get your priorities straight.

1. Grunkalunking
2. Everything else

We're waiting..............

• Haha
Reactions: 38
View attachment 156967

I keep seeing posts like this.

a) Admittedly I'm not in the UK, but does any country on earth recommend that children eat five pieces of fruit for lunch each day? No wonder you have a toilet paper shortage.

b) Why is everyone asking Jack for nutritous food? Jack has never been about nutrition; she's always been about eating as cheaply as possible. In fact, she frequently scoffs at people who want the poor to get nutrients (see: lemons). This is a woman who rinses spaghetti hoops FFS. Are they thinking of someone else, maybe someone who has run a few campaigns about healthy school meals...? The name's on the tip of my tongue...
Everyone seems to be acting as if this food should be lunch and dinner for 7 days, surely it’s just supposed to be the 5days of lunch they’d get at school?

Reactions: 29
I think she addressed the Tory conference once? Told them about poverty. But as far as actual achievements? She went to Africa with Oxfam and patronised the duck out of them. She claims to have created the Pret kale macaroni cheese I think which I loved before I was vegan. Tangible results that have improved the lives of people living in poverty? Can’t think of anything. But that’s fine. I haven’t either. I don’t shout about it all the time and call myself a political activist though. She’s written a couple of good books and a few bad ones. Why not be proud of what she HAS done?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Is frozen broccoli still available? It's quite nice in a cheese sauce, with or without cauli. Budget Bytes roasts it too, which I've not tried, but her recipes are usually really good.
I’ve seen frozen which I don’t mind with pasta but for stirfries etc I just find it too mushy 🤢

Reactions: 4
It’s because she never sticks with anything, remember the blm thing last week? That’s gone, she constantly mentions projects she’s working on and nothing ever happens
Ah but that's because there's sooooo much going on "behind the scenes" remember?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
She wants to eat herself as her last meal? Because she thinks she tastes good? Well I've bloody heard it all now 🤢🤢😂😂 Jack you won't taste good, you've spent years filling your body with disgusting slop poorly cooked by you.... Sure you can eat your own leg but you have to cook it yourself 😂😂

Morning folks 😁
I think this might actually be the most absurd thing I’ve heard her say? ( and that rellly is saying something 🙄)

Ah but that's because there's sooooo much going on "behind the scenes" remember?
Oh yeh I forgot that 😂😂😂 does anyone know if Marcus has ever acknowledged her tweets?

• Haha
Reactions: 9
You just need to get your priorities straight.

1. Grunkalunking
2. Everything else

We're waiting..............
Ugh I'm trying! Next time my boss calls me to ask if I've done something I'll tell her to sod off and direct her here instead so she can see where my loyalties really lie...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Ugh I'm trying! Next time my boss calls me to ask if I've done something I'll tell her to sod off and direct her here instead so she can see where my loyalties really lie...
She’d probably be impressed you are even vauegly managing to keep up, I’m in furlough and barely can 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I have been a follower and admirer of JM for years. I remember really relating to some of her poverty and deprivation stories and also feeling quite moved at times by her. I admired her stance against Hatie Kopkins.

I ignored the overly descriptive (and sometimes quite off putting use of weird words when describing foods) writing, putting it down to just finding her feet and style. I started to get a little disconcerted over time as she seemed to collect various labels and diagnoses but, again, ignored it to a degree. I didn’t/don’t believe she is an alcoholic...maybe she just binged a few times and didn’t like herself much afterwards. The number of ethnic/hereditary cultural backgrounds increased to a number that seemed a little strange but hey ho, some people probably do have 3-4 diverse grandparents. The confusion over sexuality and gender is almost a given, it seems nowadays in trendy circles.

I bought a couple of the Tin Can book for the food bank drive. I tried a couple of recipes from the internet and did find them disappointing enough to not want to buy a book myself but got behind the idea of supporting a resource that was needed in a time of rising prices, looming Brexit (and its economic impact), and a Conservative government that wants to ensure the poor stay poor (that awful documentary on C4 last year about food bank use nearly broke my heart).

Lately, I wondered if they had become ill and it has been blatantly obvious for some time that they were single again so I googled and found myself here a couple of nights ago.....and, well......wow. Talk about eye-opener.

I feel somewhat cheated. And also concerned for their welfare and sons welfare. And, I also feel a tad angry because they have used a huge platform that could do so much good and seems hell bent on turning into a car crash. It’s all become quite unseemly and verging on desperate. The free school meals thing on top of the JO rants and backtrack is a final straw for me.

That comment about working with the government to sort things out certainly does lend itself to being egotistical and tone deaf. Has it not occurred to Jack that as a top performing athlete with connections to sport and nutrition programmes unrivalled in many regards, along with the clout of a world renowned sporting brand, Marcus Rashford might have a bit more knowledge and clout on getting action on the situation? I would imagine he could put a team together with the involvement of his mum and absolutely knock it out of the park, both practically and promotionally.

I don’t think she is a bad person - far from it. I can’t get angry with her, as some do here. I think she is in need of some serious help and some guidance and maybe even some form of family support and parenting herself.

If, as some believe, Jack is reading this, I hope you get help. Growing up in a dysfunctional family (poor, deprived, working class family with little food, an alcoholic single parent on benefits and being the eldest so looking after the young ones - yes, I DO know what it’s like), well, it is a living hell. If you can’t do it for yourself, do it for the boy you love. Put the phone down and get help. Tonight.
This pretty sums up where I am. It was back in April that she accused me and others of being racist when we expressed surprise when watching DKL at how Dr Rangans surname is pronounced. I should have replied. I didn't. I should have said not knowing the pronunciation of something isn't racist, there are all sorts of words and names of all languages including English ones that baffle me. But it left a bad taste to me and I have many many concerns for her but, the knee jerk accusations is not helpful. To say the least.

Reactions: 25
She’d probably be impressed you are even vauegly managing to keep up, I’m in furlough and barely can 😂
It does say something for my ability to multi task and absorb large quantities of information from multiple sources...I sense a promotion on the horizon 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
She wants to eat herself as her last meal? Because she thinks she tastes good? Well I've bloody heard it all now 🤢🤢😂😂 Jack you won't taste good, you've spent years filling your body with disgusting slop poorly cooked by you.... Sure you can eat your own leg but you have to cook it yourself 😂😂

Morning folks 😁
Slop Will Eat Itself.

(showing my age there)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
All these middle class twats (she says, a middle class twit herself) getting their M&S knickers in twist about the lunch provisions! There is nothing wrong with most pictures I've seen, based on all the reasons you have all very eloquently explained.
We are foodies (hate that word), my teenager will eat very adventurous food at home. At school? Not a chance. It's a strict rotation of a sausage roll, pizza slice, panini or pasta. Carb heavy, not a veg in sight, beige. I don't know what I'm trying to say really, just that if you are very hungry a baked spud with beans then an apple, is probably very welcome and you definitely wouldn't rather be eating a peach and pilchard curry from Jack sodding Monroe.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Also, not to be that annoying person who double comments but seeing as I've apparently now committed to keeping up with the ongoing thread AND my backlog... Think I spotted a couple of pages ago or maybe last thread but have Jack and Mrs J split up? If so I do feel for her, it's always awful to be going through a serious breakup and feeling like you have to keep going and not let anyone know how rotten you're feeling. There's been a couple of times in my life where I've had to take myself off to the loos at work to have a bit of a cry because the emotion is all too much, and that was with everyone around me being super supportive too. I hope she has someone she can lean on to help her

• Sad
Reactions: 15
All these middle class twats (she says, a middle class twit herself) getting their M&S knickers in twist about the lunch provisions! There is nothing wrong with most pictures I've seen, based on all the reasons you have all very eloquently explained.
We are foodies (hate that word), my teenager will eat very adventurous food at home. At school? Not a chance. It's a strict rotation of a sausage roll, pizza slice, panini or pasta. Carb heavy, not a veg in sight, beige. I don't know what I'm trying to say really, just that if you are very hungry a baked spud with beans then an apple, is probably very welcome and you definitely wouldn't rather be eating a peach and pilchard curry from Jack sodding Monroe.
I agree with this.

I'm starting to feel a bit like im tit mum or something when I see tweets slagging off the lunch provisions.

My kid are living the complete opposite life to my childhood ( as in not growing up in poverty) but the stuff that's in the lunch provisions is the stuff I give mine for lunch, sandwiches, jacket pots etc
Hell sometimes I go really off the rails and give them supernoodles for lunch 😳😂

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
Think I spotted a couple of pages ago or maybe last thread but have Jack and Mrs J split up? If so I do feel for her, it's always awful to be going through a serious breakup and feeling like you have to keep going and not let anyone know how rotten you're feeling.
Yes, they have definitely parted ways and Jack is making sure that everyone knows just how rotten she's feeling, along with (in my humble opinion) setting a trail of crumbs up to lay the blame firmly with Louisa. Which may or may not be true. Who knows.

Reactions: 21
Also, not to be that annoying person who double comments but seeing as I've apparently now committed to keeping up with the ongoing thread AND my backlog... Think I spotted a couple of pages ago or maybe last thread but have Jack and Mrs J split up? If so I do feel for her, it's always awful to be going through a serious breakup and feeling like you have to keep going and not let anyone know how rotten you're feeling. There's been a couple of times in my life where I've had to take myself off to the loos at work to have a bit of a cry because the emotion is all too much, and that was with everyone around me being super supportive too. I hope she has someone she can lean on to help her
The one thing she is very keen to do is let us know she’s feeling tit.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I’ve seen frozen which I don’t mind with pasta but for stirfries etc I just find it too mushy 🤢

I went to buy some the other day but it was pale and browning on the shelf. I think they're picking the food to early in a rush to get it out. My carrots are going off in days.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Yes, they have definitely parted ways and Jack is making sure that everyone knows just how rotten she's feeling, along with (in my humble opinion) setting a trail of crumbs up to lay the blame firmly with Louisa. Which may or may not be true. Who knows.
Hmm. I suppose you can never really know with someone else's relationship. I did peek at her Twitter earlier but couldn't find any mention of it so either it was at least a few days ago or she's deleted any tweets on the subject already! Feel sorry for the son though, that's two stepmothers been and gone in his relatively short life

Reactions: 4
has anyone been struggling to get broccoli and cauliflower at the supermarkets the past few weeks? I caved in and bought tenderstem one instead but it was extortionate. The usually 60p broccoli heads seem to have gone AWOL at my local supermarket...
Yes, there must be a supply issue somewhere. The places I shop at have been out for weeks.

We're lucky enough to live in an area where there are loads of restaurants, hence lots of suppliers with fresh produce going spare. I've been buying my fruit and veg from them - the quality is fantastic.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.