Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jack's martyr complex has been really coming out to play this week, hasn't it? Lots of "I'm dying of insomnia and heartbreak but the people neeeeeed me"

No, they really don't. There are better people out there for the school meal stuff, and your core audience - morons who look at a slice of bread and say "can I eat it?" - would be better served by learning to use Google. As the Bible says, give a man a crappy mackerel and peach curry and he'll eat for a day, teach him to use Google and he'll eat forever
Can't get Monty Python out of my ear.... paraphrased of course.... She is not the messiah, she's a very naughty (self obsessed, fame hungry, white saviour, etc etc) girl. 😁

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
The whole point I think of the school lunches is to ensure children get enough to eat as they are currently missing out the meal they get at school and to many that is very important as there is not much at home. When I was a kid both my parents work all be it in very low paid jobs. My mum and dad were skint yet they always made sure we had food to eat. It may not have always been gourmet but was always something and we never hungry.

What I really don't understand is that she is ill due to all manner of things yet she's trying to get involved in another fundraiser. She just needs to rest now there is no shame in resting for a bit perhaps thinking up another fundraiser to help the improvised when she is well enough to deal with it. She just going to make herself sicker at this rate.
I also think there were about 6 pictures she retweeted and at least 2 didn't really look that bad to me. Several teachers commented on what their schools are sending out (very good quality stuff) and explained why the vouchers don't work in all situations. So of all the hundreds of thousands of food parcels and vouchers that have gone out in the middle of a pandemic, a few were substandard. I genuinely feel for the families who were given crap, but unfortunately hardly any initiative is ever perfect.

The people going on about how it would last their kid for one or two days - I don't think they realise this is meant to be lunch only. Most pictures I saw would be a sandwich/jacket potato/rice with some cheese/beans/sauce, a piece of fruit or veg and a biscuit. Maybe not hugely exciting, but that's what my kids eat at lunchtime.

Outrage is so easy. I know that the food parcels from my primary are amazing (my neighbour gets them). They are prepared by the usual caterers on site and delivered by teachers/TAs/office staff. A really great way to stay in touch with a very vulnerable family over this difficult time. All I see around me a people caring a lot for their community. I don't deny that this isn't always the case and some people are fobbed off, but it's really unfair and unrepresentative to create some anger and rage online about this issue.

Do something, Jack, if you are so angry. Or, perhaps better in this case, sit down, have a cup of tea, stay away from Twitter and let Marcus Rashford get on with it.

I heard about this on the news (not specifically about Aldi strawberries 🤣), but the fact supermarkets are getting restaurant quality produce at the moment as the suppliers can't sell it to restaurants.
As an Aldi shopper and strawberry fanatic, I've got all the important facts here.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I also think there were about 6 pictures she retweeted and at least 2 didn't really look that bad to me. Several teachers commented on what their schools are sending out (very good quality stuff) and explained why the vouchers don't work in all situations. So of all the hundreds of thousands of food parcels and vouchers that have gone out in the middle of a pandemic, a few were substandard. I genuinely feel for the families who were given crap, but unfortunately hardly any initiative is ever perfect.

The people going on about how it would last their kid for one or two days - I don't think they realise this is meant to be lunch only. Most pictures I saw would be a sandwich/jacket potato/rice with some cheese/beans/sauce, a piece of fruit or veg and a biscuit. Maybe not hugely exciting, but that's what my kids eat at lunchtime.

Outrage is so easy. I know that the food parcels from my primary are amazing (my neighbour gets them). They are prepared by the usual caterers on site and delivered by teachers/TAs/office staff. A really great way to stay in touch with a very vulnerable family over this difficult time. All I see around me a people caring a lot for their community. I don't deny that this isn't always the case and some people are fobbed off, but it's really unfair and unrepresentative to create some anger and rage online about this issue.

Do something, Jack, if you are so angry. Or, perhaps better in this case, sit down, have a cup of tea, stay away from Twitter and let Marcus Rashford get on with it.

As an Aldi shopper and strawberry fanatic, I've got all the important facts here.
Great post. It’s BLM all over again. Her followers read her outraged tweets, retweeted them, tsked to themselves about the poor little unwashed hungry children and then got on with their evening never to mention it or think about it again.

But in a few months when things will hopefully be better and Marcus Rashford is getting honoured then they’ll be outraged on her behalf that as the co-campaigner she isn’t being credited for her work. I’m annoyed already!

Reactions: 34
The charity I’m volunteering with are having to get government funding to provide laptops and internet for high school aged children. This is an attempt to keep them involved in school work. But think of what they have already missed.
they won’t have the capability to be online for the voucher system.
That’s just the children this charity helps. Think of the thousands between the cracks. She is being ridiculously naive to the situation at hand.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
On that Talking Tastebuds podcast a couple years ago, JM was asked what her death row dinner would be. Cue the perfect chance to talk about her very favourite foods, or foods that could evoke some comforting memories, like how literally all the others guests answered. But, and I kid you not, JM says she would eat her own leg. "I would be very curious to know if I taste as good as I think I do!"

She really does not like food.

ETA: Oh and @Flumps, I second @Hunty recommendation of @SoVeryBritish on Twitter - so funny!
It’s the sort of tit a sixth form student who watches the mighty boosh would come out with thinking it’s ~edgy? This is a grown woman.

I really hate having to play catch up, but I love being able to call it a grunka lunka 😂 I have spent the entire thread literally open mouthed and as per usual I'm kinda speechless....

So I will start with what has come to be expected from me 😂 Jack you are an absolute bleeping bleep, no seriously you are a bleeping disgrace, you spend 99% of your life moaning and whinging on twitter, have you ever thought of getting off twitter and actually doing something to help? I mean actually help not the fake oh I'm so busy behind the scenes you have no idea what I do, I only share 0.01% of my life online bullshit that you peddle! Marcus Rashford along with so many others have spent all of lockdown helping those in need. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? NOTHING that's what, you bleeping despicable bleep, except lie, beg for money, whinge and moan about how bleeping hard you have it, how crappy your house is, how mad you are you don't own property yet, all I hear when you talk is blah blah bleeping blah, get over yourself, stop trying to ride the coat tails of others who are doing good it's time to put your big girl pants on and either actually do something or shut your mouth and get off the Internet... I could go on and on and on but I won't because I'm just getting madder and madder and unlike some of our lovely tattlers I'm not eloquent and articulate with my words, you bleeping bleep....

Goodnight my lovely hausfrau , this hausfrau is pooped

@Flumps

Twitters accounts, these are some of my faves

Very British Problems / @SoVeryBritish
Thoughts of dog / @dog_feelings
The daily otter / @TheDailyOtter
We rate dogs / @dog_rates
Factretriever /@factretriever
God / @TheTweetOfGod
Nat Geo Photography / @NatGeoPhotos
I know this is about twitter but I follow Nat Geo on insta and love it, I end up following a lot of photographers who are working on long term projects like... elephant conservation, or in hospitals etc, so it’s like you get to check in on them all and how they’re doing! It’s such a nicer way to use insta than following influencers & shops.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
Imma just leave this here....
View attachment 156933
I totally love him, what an inspirational young guy. That’s who I’d like my children to aspire to be like, not someone who lives in the past dwelling on previous plights.

I was just thinking, do you think JM would even be mentioning FSM over summer if Marcus Rashford’s campaign hadn’t lobbied and succeeded to get change? Not a chance in hell

• Heart
Reactions: 31
It’s the sort of tit a sixth form student who watches the mighty boosh would come out with thinking it’s ~edgy? This is a grown woman.

I know this is about twitter but I follow Nat Geo on insta and love it, I end up following a lot of photographers who are working on long term projects like... elephant conservation, or in hospitals etc, so it’s like you get to check in on them all and how they’re doing! It’s such a nicer way to use insta than following influencers & shops.
Oh she was sooooo the type of person who quirkily quoted The Mighty Boosh constantly

• Haha
Reactions: 11
‘Roasting’

She did my bleeping head in earlier, I needed a time out. HOOTED when I saw she’d obv. been shamed into tweeting about Marcus Rashford. Dipstick.

Ah, but did you laugh up a lung? Cos you're not doing it properly otherwise!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
It's just a load of hot air isn't it? That's all she can seemingly offer. Shouting about stuff on Twitter or writing articles in the Guardian, whether that's free school meals, Jamie Oliver, veganism, whatever. She loves the idea of a good crusade but actually actioning it is a different matter. Think of the all the political lobbying, networking, petitions, TV appearances not talking about themselves etc that was done by Marcus or JO - it wasn't just a few shouty Tweets.

I think he earlier books did offer a better and creative (not weird) use of cheap ingredients, so to me - that was something good. But her Tin Can one for example, didn't she say to chuck 3 different cans of tomato soup, tinned tomatoes and something else (maybe sundried tomatoes?) to make a soup? Sure it would be better to split them out and make two or three separate, and more nutritious, meals? Judging from the recipes in that book, and her deprissipes, I don't think she can talk about nutrition (my opinion, as ever). Especially when all the meat she now seems to eat is hot dog sausages and the like.

Reactions: 15
Twitters accounts, these are some of my faves

Very British Problems / @SoVeryBritish
Thoughts of dog / @dog_feelings
The daily otter / @TheDailyOtter
We rate dogs / @dog_rates
Factretriever /@factretriever
God / @TheTweetOfGod
Nat Geo Photography / @NatGeoPhotos
Thoughts of Dog is one of my very favourites. It's so wholesome, it's the first place I go when I need a cheer up! I would also recommend @TheCatReviewer, @Flumps .

@Fesshole sometimes has me howling but can take a darker turn now and then.

It isn’t even white centric, it’s middle class food angst centric - carbs are cheap and fill you up, that’s what you need when you’re broke.
I collect food via fare share for a homeless hostel and deliver crates of potatoes, bread, fruit etc each time it’s my turn on the rota.
Yep, this.

We had a tough few years when I was kid - first, the miner's strike when we lost our home and then again a few years later when my dad had re-trained as a social worker but then had a nervous breakdown and a heart attack. Looking back, I know there were times my mum didn't eat to make sure that we did. She'd just tell us that she was on a diet. I remember our meals being really carb-heavy during those times because she knew she could fill us up for pennies. A cheap tin of meatballs for example, would feed 3 kids amply when accompanied by white rice or pasta. Giant, homemade Yorkshire puds filled with mash, carrots and gravy was one of our favourites, as was a stew made with cheap mince bulked out with loads of potatoes and pearl barley. Boiled pasta tossed in a sauce made from a tin of chopped tomatoes and dried mixed herbs. Eggs, beans or tinned tomatoes on toast. Homemade curries full of lentils and veg on the turn. Not a rinsed bean in sight and it was all good, enjoyable food.

My mum wouldn't have been able to feed us as well as she did though without having basic cooking skills, and she made sure that she passed those skills on to us. I feel that's where the gap is these days - so many people don't know the basics of putting a meal together. Jack's USP of combining tins of slop to make inedible waste isn't cooking, not by a long shot. Again, this is something that Jamie Oliver has already done really well with Ministry of Food, which probably boil's Jack's piss to the point of evaporation!

EDIT - just a quick add-on to say that yes, I appreciate that there are other factors in play such as lack of time due to work and access to / affordability of cooking facilities etc.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
How funny it is that Jack has the title of campaigner and activist however Jamie Olivier has achieved so much more with his schools dinners, the cheap meals he’s done in the past and then his perfectly timed carry on cooking.
The school dinners thing wasn’t just a phase either, it’s been a big issue for him throughout is career and it’s so lovely to see him supporting Marcus.
Thinking about it as well, Jamie is constantly using his name to support others, the Friday night show on the pier often had a segment promoting areas of the food industry or highlighting an issue. (I remember one was using factory farmed eggs as ingredients.)
He also uses his Instagram to draw attention to people doing good things or struggling industries as mentioned in the above quote.
Jack just uses her stories for self promotion and awkward lives.

Can someone actually tell me anything Jack has done? I only became aware of her after the lime goss article so genuinely interested to know if I’ve missed something.
It’s because she never sticks with anything, remember the blm thing last week? That’s gone, she constantly mentions projects she’s working on and nothing ever happens

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Great post. It’s BLM all over again. Her followers read her outraged tweets, retweeted them, tsked to themselves about the poor little unwashed hungry children and then got on with their evening never to mention it or think about it again.

But in a few months when things will hopefully be better and Marcus Rashford is getting honoured then they’ll be outraged on her behalf that as the co-campaigner she isn’t being credited for her work. I’m annoyed already!
Yes, this is exactly what will happen! I can picture the outraged tweets from her bunch already 🙄

• Angry
Reactions: 12
I tell you what, I'm only on thread 8 and it seems like every time I move to the next one you lot have filled up three more! I'm going to have to take a week's holiday from work just to catch up so we're on the same page at this rate :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Jack could do with taking a solid week off work. It wouldn't hurt her income much surely.

OT, has anyone been struggling to get broccoli and cauliflower at the supermarkets the past few weeks? I caved in and bought tenderstem one instead but it was extortionate. The usually 60p broccoli heads seem to have gone AWOL at my local supermarket...
Yes I haven’t seen broccoli in weeks in any of the 4 places I shop at!

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Jack could do with taking a solid week off work. It wouldn't hurt her income much surely.

OT, has anyone been struggling to get broccoli and cauliflower at the supermarkets the past few weeks? I caved in and bought tenderstem one instead but it was extortionate. The usually 60p broccoli heads seem to have gone AWOL at my local supermarket...
Couldn’t get asparagus anywhere last I tried. Maybe picking is slowing down!

Reactions: 4
20200618_103616.jpg

I keep seeing posts like this.

a) Admittedly I'm not in the UK, but does any country on earth recommend that children eat five pieces of fruit for lunch each day? No wonder you have a toilet paper shortage.

b) Why is everyone asking Jack for nutritous food? Jack has never been about nutrition; she's always been about eating as cheaply as possible. In fact, she frequently scoffs at people who want the poor to get nutrients (see: lemons). This is a woman who rinses spaghetti hoops FFS. Are they thinking of someone else, maybe someone who has run a few campaigns about healthy school meals...? The name's on the tip of my tongue...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
On that Talking Tastebuds podcast a couple years ago, JM was asked what her death row dinner would be. Cue the perfect chance to talk about her very favourite foods, or foods that could evoke some comforting memories, like how literally all the others guests answered. But, and I kid you not, JM says she would eat her own leg. "I would be very curious to know if I taste as good as I think I do!"

She really does not like food.

ETA: Oh and @Flumps, I second @Hunty recommendation of @SoVeryBritish on Twitter - so funny!
She wants to eat herself as her last meal? Because she thinks she tastes good? Well I've bloody heard it all now 🤢🤢😂😂 Jack you won't taste good, you've spent years filling your body with disgusting slop poorly cooked by you.... Sure you can eat your own leg but you have to cook it yourself 😂😂

Morning folks 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 16

I really wish she’d gone on a That Man style rant against Marcus, could you imagine? It’d have been hilarious and all the tweets would’ve been deleted even quicker than usual 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Thoughts of Dog is one of my very favourites. It's so wholesome, it's the first place I go when I need a cheer up! I would also recommend @TheCatReviewer, @Flumps .

@Fesshole sometimes has me howling but can take a darker turn now and then.

My mum wouldn't have been able to feed us as well as she did though without having basic cooking skills, and she made sure that she passed those skills on to us. I feel that's where the gap is these days - so many people don't know the basics of putting a meal together. Jack's USP of combining tins of slop to make inedible waste isn't cooking, not by a long shot. Again, this is something that Jamie Oliver has already done really well with Ministry of Food, which probably boil's Jack's piss to the point of evaporation!
Thank you for @TheCatReviewer (and for all the Twitter recommendations, my feed is immeasurably improved already).

I've said it before, but what really bugs me about some of JM's slop recipes (I know some work, but it seems a vast proportion are hugely unappetising) is that I got, like you, a very solid grounding in food from a very young age. I helped my mum cook for as long as I can remember. I could cook edible meals by myself at 11/12 and I've never been in a position where I've doubted my ability to cook, or thought of it as an inaccessible or difficult thing to do. So, if I made one of JM's recipes and it was tit, I would automatically assume it was the recipe, not me. Actually, more likely, I wouldn't cook it at all, because I'd read the ingredients list and method and have a reasonable idea of what the finished product would be like. If I didn't have that grounding and experience, I suspect I would assume it was me that was the problem, and if I was working on a limited budget feel (a) tit about my inability to cook and (b) guilty for wasting money. This doesn't open doors to cooking, it slams them shut in people's faces and that really pisses me off.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Yes I haven’t seen broccoli in weeks in any of the 4 places I shop at!
Is frozen broccoli still available? It's quite nice in a cheese sauce, with or without cauli. Budget Bytes roasts it too, which I've not tried, but her recipes are usually really good.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.