Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Argh just had a look at her twitter, it’s awful seeing everyone slagging off the help they’re getting and Jack encouraging it. I’ve had to deactivate my account so I’m not tempted to @ her.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I cannot go with that whole 'you're poor so you shouldn't have X/Y/Z'
Poor people shouldn't have TV's
Poor people shouldn't be able to smoke or drink.

Aye duck off whilst they sit in the dark and stare at the wall. People who have income problems are allowed to have pleasures in life too.

Anyhooo, that's a rant for another day
I spent most of the day arguing a similar point on a FB group. Someone said 'why do people have children if they can't afford them and continued to double down on that opinion. I tried pointing out that the children may have come before the family found themselves in poverty etc. We went back and forth til she deleted the post which I take as the Social Media equivalent of throwing in the towel. She asked why I never agree with her... I said its cos our political opinions are opposites, I should have added that she is a right wing old boot. I didn't

• Heart
Reactions: 29
@TheDragonWithAFlagon you’re right, they definitely want and need pet food. They facilitate giving it to foodbank users under the Trussel Trust for sure. Anybody thinking of donating, they will always be grateful for things that fall outside of their remit - so treats, things like mince pies at Christmas and Easter eggs in spring. Toiletries, stock cubes and gravy powder, herbs, cupcake mixes. They give each person that comes in a designated list and amount for their household, but they will always chat and establish if they might need things like tampons, deodorant, or even dog food.
Me and some mums at our school did a Christmas foodbank drive - mince pies, gravy, stuffing, etc. But also a big collection of advent calendars for the kids, so they’d have a treat leading up to Xmas. Always make sure I put some chocolate in for the kids as well now - I know it’s bad for the teeth but it’s a treat.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Wow. I feel somewhat exhausted and more than a little bit jittery after all that catching up. I almost deleted my account a few days ago: not in a JM flouncy way, but this thread was/is taking up way too much of my time...!* Then came in for “one final read/catch up” and seems like I’ve missed the most explosive/eventful days we’ve ever had on this group...

As always, not much to add, but thank you hausfrau for maintaining the cabal and ensuring it remains a place of high quality entertainment. Let’s hope the trash learns to take itself out 😉

I do miss the simpler days of DKL, recipe, seeds and book sharing though. Seems like a lifetime ago! On the book front - someone (maybe @Harrybosch ?) said they were only going to read BAME authors this year. Loved that idea and I’m doing the same now, and so bought (thanks to another hausfrau influencer) A Little Life. Half way through and it’s the best book I’ve read in years and I read a LOT. So thank you...

Now going for a lie down. WAY too much excitement for one afternoon/evening.

as you were 😘

*not that my time is any more valuable than anyone else’s! Just that I’ve 2 young kids and a baby at home, none of whom seem to get just how gripping this all is. Apart from the baby who is a total enabler... “just off to feed the baby” (and read 50 pages of JM posts)

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
Now I'm not a published food writer, but I'll tell you two things that DON'T come to mind when I think of what to do with a tin of sardines: pesto and motherfucking curry

Rundown.

It's amazing.

First recipe online -
2 cans mackerel
1 medium onion (sliced)
1 clove garlic (crushed or sliced)
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
10-15 grape tomatoes (any tomato – chopped)
2 tablespoon chopped parsley
3 sprigs thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
2-3 scallions (chopped)
1 1/2 tablespoon tomato concentrate (paste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Optional – juice of 1/2 lemon + spicy peppers

Usual cooking method for people who know how to cook - cook onions, etc, add tomato, add Mackerel & thyme, finish with parsley, lemon, peppers. Serve with rice or roti.

Second Recipe online -

• 3 tablespoon(s) Grace Coconut Oil
  • 3 clove(s) garlic, minced
  • 1 ounce(s) ginger, peeled and sliced
  • 1 tablespoon(s) curry powder
  • 6 whole pimento berries
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 stalk(s) escallion, chopped
  • 1 sprig(s) thyme
  • 2 can(s) Grace Mackerel in Coconut Sauce (Rundown)
  • 1 tablespoon(s) Grace Green Scotch Bonnet Hot Pepper Sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) Grace Caribbean Traditions Black Pepper (optional)
Cook aromatics, add fish, add pepper sauce. Serve with rice, green bananas, Johnny Cakes or cornmeal.

It's not hard.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I cannot go with that whole 'you're poor so you shouldn't have X/Y/Z'
Poor people shouldn't have TV's
Poor people shouldn't be able to smoke or drink.

Aye duck off whilst they sit in the dark and stare at the wall. People who have income problems are allowed to have pleasures in life too.

Anyhooo, that's a rant for another day
This always winds me up too. Everyone should have pleasures in life, and if nothing else a TV and a subscription package is a much cheaper option than cinema tickets/other forms of entertainment long term.

Also, and this is what really pisses me off, it's the judgement thing. Like making less than ideal choices re: money becomes a morality* question when talking about low income people, unlike when people with more income do it. I just think it's awful. And it seems obvious to me that making good choices is a duck of a lot easier when you are having quite a pleasant time of it financially.

*Not talking about extremes where neglect is happening, obviously, but just general bad choices that we all make from time to time.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
To add on top of this, cook the bacon first then use the bacon fat oil to sautee the onions/celery/garlic...god i love animal fat

Adding to the bacon fat chat. If you like bacon in your mac and cheese cook it off, take the crispy boiii bacon out with a slotted spoon and use the fat in your roux. YUMMMMMMY.

I made my own lard the other day from the skin/fat on my pork shoulder I was slowcooking. I'm trying to be less wasteful. I chopped it up and put it in my cast iron pans. They got extra coating, I got some cooking fat and the dog got crackling. All from a bit of the pig I'd have put in the bin.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
yeah Marcus. Well done! But why don't you run although and leave it to the expert white woman. This is Jack's niche. She has been on telly and every thing, she has LIVED through poverty for WEEKS.
Edited that for you and for accuracy. Hope you don't mind.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Now I'm not a published food writer, but I'll tell you two things that DON'T come to mind when I think of what to do with a tin of sardines: pesto and motherfucking curry
She uses this line so often. 'It's all im eating atm!' 'I eat it up like a greedy goblin' 'I have eaten 20 jars of mayo'

Except....you don't lose nearly 3 stone eating all this stuff? And were you not just living on Ramen the last few weeks??

I don't believe for one moment she eats the shite she peddles. I think she has a really hate for food. All the other cooks and chefs you see you can see it just makes them happy and they absolutely love it. For Jack i don't get that opinion. It's as if she's making all this 'delicious' food for show.

I don't know guys. Ive had enough. I am just so completely fed up of all the bullshit.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
My local Tesco has a donation bin to put pet food in. I would actually starve to feed my cats. I’m more worried about brexit for them than for me

I would say if you have a food bank donation point just give some pet food as well.

I’ve had loads of grief for having pets and being poor but I don’t care. I had cats when I was in work and all my cats are rescues and I’d go without to make sure they are looked after.

Just going to say. I’m a bit of an oddball when it comes to fruit. I don’t like bananas unless I bake banana bread. So I’m not the best person to advise on whether a banana recipe is rubbish or not.

But this is actually a banana microwaved with two squares of chocolate on top.

Sorry. But that gives me the actual boak.

(Sick for people who aren’t Scottish).

I would honestly drink a stock cube dissolved than this.
She really likes a plate of sloppy mush doesn’t she. You’d think she had no teeth.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Even when talking about something like free school dinners, she’s got to turn it round to be about her first and foremost 😡
And it’s all dealt with so aggressively in a very right/wrong manner.

The reality is that School meals and therefore free school meals are complicated. Jamie did do well in getting rid of Turkey twisters and other revolting meat products but lots of children are fussier than ideal and lots of school cooks are low skilled. Am blaming no one for either of these situations it is what it is.

We all want children to be fed a nutritionally balanced meal with low food waste and delicious menus. But we also want them to eat, as part of a previous job I did, I ran some school residential trips. The chef at the campsite was brilliant, yes he cooked chicken nuggets, chips and beans But those children were away from home for the first time and doing physical activities all day so he wanted them to be fed. We knew they would eat his food, present them with Jack’s slop and ...well it would be interesting!!!

In terms of the food packages going out to families, again the situation is complicated. There should be some nutritional guidance but from what I have seen there are some that have baked potatoes with beans or cheese, some pasta with sauce, some sandwich components with a piece of fruit and a biscuits. This is what I know lots of children will eat.

There is clearly a discussion to be had here but I think it is complex and doesn’t have to be aggressive.

Edited to add, because some else went there I will also go there...the discussion doesn’t have to be centred around middle class values. Im not suggesting that children who qualify for free food don’t deserve the same quality food as middle class folks but there should be a voice of the people receiving the food included not just the MC discussing ‘them’ and ’their’ food on twitter. Hope that makes sense and isn’t totally insensitive!

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I’m not going to be able to catch up tonight as I’m super-sleepy and I’m working tomorrow so I’m kinda praying it’s quiet on the JM night shift tonight 😂

When some of you lovelies were talking about the Alison Hammond interview earlier, it reminded me of my go-to You Tube clip....Ross Kemp flossing on Loose Women 😂. I can’t figure out how to add the link but if you need a giggle, would recommend as it’s like nothing you’ve ever seen!

• Haha
  • Heart
Not trying to do a Jack here but also remember being one of the talkers about A Little Life. That book ruined me for all other books for a good month after reading it X

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.