Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
OT my lovely thread mates.

Has anyone here ever taught english as a second language? All being well I'll be holding zoom classes for refugees, migrants, economic migrants etc. (I know me, who never proof reads and looks illiterate on here all the time)
Anyway, I need to send in a lesson plan at A1 level to make sure I'm suitable. I was just wondering if anyone had any resources they would recommend beyond the ESL website?
This is my job.

TBH a lesson plan at A1 level will be slow-moving and basic. Lots of repetition, lots of almost physical theatre on your part to get meaning across. Most standard resources will be fine (really, there's not a huge amount of variety possible at A1).

Two random tips:

* based on your post you'll likely be working with Arabic speakers. If you handwrite anything (some online teachers set up whiteboards etc behind them), don't join up your letters and don't write in all-caps. That can be confusing for people with other alphabets.

* check for guidance about no-go topics. I've never taught refugees but a friend did, and a huge number of standard-seeming topics were to be avoided (spending time with family, trips by boat, holidays...). Always check material in advance. As I said, I haven't worked with refugees but years ago, I was working with Brazilian students and had to adapt material to avoid topics about murder etc.

I'm happy to look over things for you or give you advice when you get going - feel free to PM whenever!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This is my job.

TBH a lesson plan at A1 level will be slow-moving and basic. Lots of repetition, lots of almost physical theatre on your part to get meaning across. Most standard resources will be fine (really, there's not a huge amount of variety possible at A1).

Two random tips:

* based on your post you'll likely be working with Arabic speakers. If you handwrite anything (some online teachers set up whiteboards etc behind them), don't join up your letters and don't write in all-caps. That can be confusing for people with other alphabets.

* check for guidance about no-go topics. I've never taught refugees but a friend did, and a huge number of standard-seeming topics were to be avoided (spending time with family, trips by boat, holidays...). Always check material in advance. As I said, I haven't worked with refugees but years ago, I was working with Brazilian students and had to adapt material to avoid topics about murder etc.

I'm happy to look over things for you or give you advice when you get going - feel free to PM whenever!
@colouredlines this is OT but have you done a DELTA course? I’m starting one in Augusta and shitting myself so always looking for advice 😂

Reactions: 3
Thank you all for your tips.

You have to start being a horrid cabal of hausfraus again. We have a reputation to upkeep.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Thank you to those of you who mentioned donating herbs and spices to food banks. When you're broke it's hard to justify spending money on food items that won't fill you up. I had to use a food bank a few times and got given a jar of smoked paprika once. It made the meals I used it in feel like more than just survival food. I actually cried the first time I added it to my beans on toast!

Edited to say sorry, I don't mean to do a Jack-style poverty brag. Things are much better now.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
@colouredlines this is OT but have you done a DELTA course? I’m starting one in Augusta and shitting myself so always looking for advice 😂
No, I've looked into it and have friends who've done it but I can't justify the expense. Where I live, it just doesn't give a big enough return on wages. Friends who've done it say the worst part is the lesson plans; the level of detail expected is absolutely mental, apparently. Oh, and brush up on your IPA if you haven't already...

Reactions: 1
Someone upthread mentioned they were watching a docu on northern soul. Have you watched Soul Boy on the BBC? It's a 30 min documentary and is absolutely gorgeous. Shows the power of a community.

Reactions: 12
Genuine question re #JackMonroesLockdownLarder why would you ask for a recipe for evaporated milk 'hopefully' fudge when you can just Google?

Same with banana blossom? Google it?

It's a Caribbean staple, along with Condensed Milk. I'd go for custards, smoothies, bread and butter pudding, rice pudding, porridge, iced coffee (I'd use Camp Coffee because I like it more than having to fire up the coffee machine or wank around with cold drip tossery), ice cream - or just tosh it over a tin of peaches and have done with it.

I think the 'I have x ingredient' phenomenon is partly due to the way cooking programmes are scripted these days - you can't have an incredibly competent cook already knowing 100 things to do but just wants something they haven't thought of before, every supporting actor has to be a complete idiot who has never seen a tin of Carnation in their life so that the Star of the Show can bestow their expertise with a benign smile and little Cherubin floating around their head. Which means that it's seen as how cooks want to be approached.

Reactions: 10
No, I've looked into it and have friends who've done it but I can't justify the expense. Where I live, it just doesn't give a big enough return on wages. Friends who've done it say the worst part is the lesson plans; the level of detail expected is absolutely mental, apparently. Oh, and brush up on your IPA if you haven't already...
Thanks! Yeh my IPA skills are non existent 😢 yeh I found the Celta really annnoying in that regard, lots of what we had to do was just box ticking

Reactions: 1
Afternoon Hausfraus!

I also recommend Nigel Slaters RFF. Lovely, simple food that is delicious and easy to prepare. Also enjoying his dry responses to manifestly stupid questions on twitter.

I think the thing that is riling me most JM re all the food bank stuff is this - Marcus Rashford has LIVED EXPERIENCE of growing up in poverty. He knows what it's like. She doesn't.

The people putting together the food parcels will also have direct experience of working with and supporting families who are living in poverty. Again, she doesn't.

THEY are the experts, not her. She should have the grace and decency to stop running her mouth off and let them get on with it (we all know she won't though).

She is not the only person who has been poor and knows about cooking on a budget ffs!

• Heart
Reactions: 31
OT my lovely thread mates.

Has anyone here ever taught english as a second language? All being well I'll be holding zoom classes for refugees, migrants, economic migrants etc. (I know me, who never proof reads and looks illiterate on here all the time)
Anyway, I need to send in a lesson plan at A1 level to make sure I'm suitable. I was just wondering if anyone had any resources they would recommend beyond the ESL website?
ESL Ana on Instagram has some amazing resources, if you have Instagram of course

• Heart
Reactions: 5
This tweet wasn't answered yesterday so they're having a second attempt today. Just bleeping Google it Good luck 🤞🏼

Screenshot_2020-06-18_145127_1_1.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
I have burgers, buns, and cheese. Any suggestions hausfraus?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
This tweet wasn't answered yesterday so they're having a second attempt today. Just bleeping Google it Good luck 🤞🏼

View attachment 157173
I've never wanted something more than I want this person's question answered. I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting with baited breath. The direction of my life will be decided by the answer to this question, an answer that surely cannot be found anywhere else in the world and most definitely not on a popular search engine search

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I am a bit old fashioned if i don't know how to cook something I ask my mum. 🤣 If she doesn't know I use goggle. I'd never think to ask jack and if I didn I don't think id like the answer. I am sure her food is lovely for some people but I honestly don't think it's for me. I don't like fruit in anything, I don't like beans very much,. I hate tinned meat. I'd rather not have meat, if that's my option. I grew up poor and I didn't eat these things. I just ate whatever else was on offer and gave the meat to my sister,brother or anyone else that wanted it.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.