Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Genuine question re #JackMonroesLockdownLarder why would you ask for a recipe for evaporated milk 'hopefully' fudge when you can just Google?

Same with banana blossom? Google it?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I've been looking at the Jack approved food parcel and does that look much for £30? It is a lot of fruit and veg which just isn't that expensive. And all very nice but how useful really? And it is two weeks worth so far too many perishables. Looks nice though.
And Jack and her chums all nitpicking and finding fault when they couldn't give a tit two days ago is beyond galling. Luckily I imagine Marcus R is sublimely unaware of her nonsense (lucky man).
I remember someone on these threads weeks and weeks ago mentioned Marcus and the work he is doing - and we know she reads here so can't say she didn't know.
Anyway I imagine this time next week she'll be onto the next thing, leaving this campaign tucked away in her abandoned shed along with her carefully curated book of experiences of black people and her detailed blueprints of Grenfell Tower and the political manifesto she is working on.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Had a bit of a catch up session. She is exhausting, nothing is ever good enough. The packs I've seen are a bit boring, but if people have enough things to make sandwiches/pasta for 5 days, with some fruit or a snack for "afters" I think it's OK as a short term thing. The most important thing is kids who need it are being fed.

I had some terrible news yesterday about a good friend that has knocked me for six. So my patience for JM's nonsense is at an all time low. She doesn't realise how bloody lucky she is. I might take some time away for a couple of days. Not flouncy or anything, but I may get banned if I start effing and blinding about her. See you in a bit everyone x
Take care of yourself, sending you lots of love and soothing, comforting hugs. See you soon xx

Reactions: 10
Whilst that veg and meat box looks absolutely delightful, even I, an excellent cook (if I do say so myself), just couldn't be arsed with that at lunch time. It's got to be quick, easy and bung in oven/microwave so we can get back to Tattle work and PS4 schoolwork. We've all just had a Chicago Town cheese pizza and it's was perfect.
Love a Chicago Town pizza. I like the little ones with pepperoni and I still maintain they are better if cooked in microwave than oven.

Reactions: 7
So sorry to hear that, a couple of days away to look after yourself sounds like a good thing.

This reminds me of my younger brother's "white food" phase. I posted earlier in the thread about our carb-heavy meals as kids to keep us filled. When times were better and money wasn't so scarce, my brother decided that he would only eat:
- plain white milk roll bread
- plain boiled pasta
- plain boiled rice
- turkey (and you couldn't give him chicken, he knew the difference)
- cheese spread
- custard cream biscuits (he used to take two out of the tin and leave on the cupboard shelf overnight to go soggy)

The only thing he would drink was the weakest orange cordial ever, and only from his red plastic Manchester United cup. This went on for YEARS. My mum was pulling her hair out, the doctor wasn't concerned at all because he was eating something and growing normally. He's 32 now and eats pretty much anything you put in front of him.

Has ur brother got autism xx

Genuine question re #JackMonroesLockdownLarder why would you ask for a recipe for evaporated milk 'hopefully' fudge when you can just Google?

Google it was pretty much my suggestion as a reply to that banana blossom tweet :)

Back in the 80's there was a lady - Bernadine Lawrence "How to feed your family for £4 a day - The Benefit Book" which she has updated over the years. She I suspect would be very helpful in how to use the food packs.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Because then JM can google in, claim the recipe her own and be declared a saint and saviour of the world. Allegedly.

I have an evaporated milk recipe of waffles, you can have that one on Kirk.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I can't be bothered to screenshot, ,but here's another riveting question for tonight's lockdown larder:

What to do with a bag of quinoa sent by asda as a substitute for brown rice? Thanks for yiyr help Jack

My personal top tip is to cook it according to packet instructions and eat it instead of brown rice. @Silver Linings Any other thoughts? Dip it in mayo, maybe?
There was a delicious recipe on Sunday Brunch last weekend with quinoa in it! The chef blended up a sauce with jarred red peppers and garlic and stuff, then toasted some halloumi in a pan, dumped it all in a bowl. Looked amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
There was a delicious recipe on Sunday Brunch last weekend with quinoa in it! The chef blended up a sauce with jarred red peppers and garlic and stuff, then toasted some halloumi in a pan, dumped it all in a bowl. Looked amazing.
If it's not from Jack I'm not interested.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Has ur brother got autism xx
No, he was just a really picky eater. Funnily enough considering the posts above, it was Chicago Town individual pizzas that ended it - they must have been a food revelation to him! As mentioned before, there's nothing he won't eat now.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I can never figure this out either.

They just want a reply from her?
The pity her and want to make her feel useful?

Reactions: 10
I have no words.

1.png

Oh, another excellent question. So, so relieved Jack is around to help.

What can I do with fresh runner beans?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
OT my lovely thread mates.

Has anyone here ever taught english as a second language? All being well I'll be holding zoom classes for refugees, migrants, economic migrants etc. (I know me, who never proof reads and looks illiterate on here all the time)
Anyway, I need to send in a lesson plan at A1 level to make sure I'm suitable. I was just wondering if anyone had any resources they would recommend beyond the ESL website?

• Heart
I have no words.

View attachment 157131

Oh, another excellent question. So, so relieved Jack is around to help.

What can I do with fresh runner beans?
I smell an opportunity for new thread name suggestions. What is the most inane cooking advice question you could ask? How about "Just had an extra bottle of milk delivered. Help, what can I do with it?"

• Haha
Reactions: 16

Has anyone here ever taught english as a second language? All being well I'll be holding zoom classes for refugees, migrants, economic migrants etc. (I know me, who never proof reads and looks illiterate on here all the time)
Anyway, I need to send in a lesson plan at A1 level to make sure I'm suitable. I was just wondering if anyone had any resources they would recommend beyond the ESL website?
Check out the Cambridge Assessment website. https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teaching-english/

They are currently running a range of free webinars for teachers on teaching online. The ones you've missed are still available online. Hopefully that will help you plan your online lessons.

This is also a good intro to lesson planning: https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/lesson-plans

Have you ever taught before or are you new to it?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The paperback copy of Real Fast Food is worth *every* *single* *penny* if you can get it. If just for the chilli chicken pitta and the omelette in vinaigrette recipes.

I love Nigel's books, but I have cooked the most from Real Fast Food and Appetite.
Second this Flumps! My copy is REVOLTING now though - I’ve used it so much and I’m such a messy cook! 🙈
(Wouldn’t sit on the sideboard in my knickers though - I do have some standards)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

The british council is very good especially for low level class plans, I teach elf so feel free to send me anything if you want me to check x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Check out the Cambridge Assessment website. https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teaching-english/

They are currently running a range of free webinars for teachers on teaching online. The ones you've missed are still available online. Hopefully that will help you plan your online lessons.

This is also a good intro to lesson planning: https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/lesson-plans

Have you ever taught before or are you new to it?

Thanks so much for these Harry. Will get on them tonight.
I've never taught before but I am thinking about retraining. I looked into volunteering during covid and have ended up signed up to this, online classes with young children and as a mentor to upper high school kids in care.

Just trying to be useful.

• Heart
I can never figure this out either.

They just want a reply from her?
The pity her and want to make her feel useful?
It seems an odd way to interact regardless of it being Jack? I can understand more "what is your favorite aubergine recipe"

Oh well back to the day job :)

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.