Jack Monroe #28 Mayo’s for dunking, threads are for Grunk(a)ing

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I must be completely dense because I have absolutely no clue and tbh I'm now feeling very very paranoid about all this and what people's intentions are here. Very uncomfortable as I haven't been here long but was starting to see it as a safe space.
It is, don’t fret. 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It’s all very unsettling— I felt like we were a tight knit community dedicated to pointing out utter ludicrousness, with side action on seeds, songs, recipes, general hilarity and cross-community support.

fearing that there is an actual viper in the nest is utterly horrible
That's the nature of the internet, the feeling that you are in someone's front room with your friends, but in reality you are at a public meeting surrounded by people you don't know.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I must be completely dense because I have absolutely no clue and tbh I'm now feeling very very paranoid about all this and what people's intentions are here. Very uncomfortable as I haven't been here long but was starting to see it as a safe space.
It is a safe place. But also this is still the Internet, anything you post can be read by literally anyone. It’s always good to have that in the back of your mind before posting something that you wouldn’t want everyone to know about.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
It is a safe place. But also this is still the Internet, anything you post can be read by literally anyone. It’s always good to have that in the back of your mind before posting something that you wouldn’t want everyone to know about.
I'm an open book, as I have nothing to hide but I feel I'm pretty savvy online as I work in the fraud department for a bank so have become paranoid as hell about online disclosure etc. I have shared a little on here so far but not too much, it's that balance isn't it of wanting to connect with people but remaining on guard as well. I enjoy it here I really hope whoever this is they make a swift exit.

• Heart
I guess it is a safe place to freely discuss the things influences etc do, in that they can’t delete your comments or set their minions on you but @toffeefinger is right, you do have to be mindful of the things you post. If you take the piss then you (the Royal you) are quite rightly called out - just like said influencers are.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I think this thread shows the clear divide between those of us who use Twitter, and those of us who have no clue how it works and only engage via screenshots on here!

I mean, sometimes I go on and I click on the tweet and can see loads of answers and sometimes only one and sometimes there’s a line down the screen connecting them and sometimes it’s in a box..... I was relying on you guys to tell me anything juicy! Does this mean I have to actually work Twitter out for myself??
Same babe. Totally rely on links, I've tried Twitter, don't understand it. I've even had to ask what a blue tick means - apparently it means you are important and therefore worthy of a response.

Reactions: 4
That's the nature of the internet, the feeling that you are in someone's front room with your friends, but in reality you are at a public meeting surrounded by people you don't know.
Definitely - real life can be like this but on the Internet it’s possible to be anyone and use that persona to achieve anything. It’s scary and has prevented me from joining online support groups (as there are no irl ones in my area) because the thought of being vulnerable to someone faking something, using it to exploit others for sympathy/financial gain/as a fetish, gleaning information as a predator, etc etc etc is just too much. While I think this thread and Tattle as a whole is a lovely place, I also believe it’s important not to become too invested and to keep your wits about you

• Heart
This forum is turning into a witches coven. I’ve spent this morning Grunka Lunka’ing my way through the past 10 or so pages, not a thing about Jack really, it’s all about finding out about some mystery poster.

I’m absolutely flummoxed at the suggestion @Bellybutton lint has anything to do with the Twitter thing. Not only has she said several times she doesn’t use it, a few posters here ganging up on her because of posts around four threads ago is ridiculous. Let the past go, we’ve all moved on, and honestly if you have a problem with her then DM her, don’t try and humiliate her infront of the whole thread as that’s no better than Jack setting the hounds on someone as she did me.

I’m not flouncing as I love this thread and all the people on it, but I’m certainly very wary of posting now and how my posts can be perceived. It needs to be back on Jack watch - not troll watch. Let the mods do their job and we’ll all do ours of calling out Jack.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
On a total aside, this is a really good forum in terms of functionality. It’s spoiling me. I keep going to Mumsnet and clicking on a thread and expecting to be taken to where I last read to.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Really cute cat, not as cute as my cat, but seems like less of a bleep.
Probably less of one than mine too, little shite tricked me with his stomach earlier I always fall for it and end up with a claw in my finger 😡

Reactions: 4
On a total aside, this is a really good forum in terms of functionality. It’s spoiling me. I keep going to Mumsnet and clicking on a thread and expecting to be taken to where I last read to.
To be fair, Mumsnet's interface is aggressively bad. It's hard to think of a less user-friendly forum!

Reactions: 11
I mentioned on another thread I really enjoyed Miguel's vegetarian book. I reckon his tin can one will be good. Without being doomsday about the whole thing, I do worry once Brexit really hits next year there will be food supply issues and we will be eating a lot of tinned stuff. Although should that happen my kids (and if I'm honest me too) will happily eat beans on toast for weeks on end and the need for a special cookbook on it may not be there.

Reactions: 5
I mentioned on another thread I really enjoyed Miguel's vegetarian book. I reckon his tin can one will be good. Without being doomsday about the whole thing, I do worry once Brexit really hits next year there will be food supply issues and we will be eating a lot of tinned stuff. Although should that happen my kids (and if I'm honest me too) will happily eat beans on toast for weeks on end and the need for a special cookbook on it may not be there.

I'm worried about the quality of food. We have good farming practices in the uk atm. I really don't want to buy chlorinated chicken. We try and eat local meat but sometimes it's unavoidable that you end up getting stuff from abroad. I once got a chicken pasta salad thing, it said made in the uk but closer inspection the chicken was Thai.
I can see me joining you on the beans and toast train until I figure it out. Although it's spaghetti hoops (not rinsed) in this house.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I can’t remember who the OP was but someone mentioned they thought JM was addicted to a Twitter. It’s weird because if I’m bored I’m straight on Tattle or Facebook mostly and it does change the way you feel (not always in a good way). If I was in the public eye and had a big following, I would definitely have a Social Media Manager too or if I didn’t need it for work, I would probably come off it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.