Jack Monroe #26 Jack be bitter, Jack be quick, Jack stop being such a dick.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I saw that on youtube last night too, Flash. It's maybe just me (or my cooking) but the texture of cheese inside a burger gives me the dry boak. I can't see how she'll fit enough of the elements in this to make it small enough to count as a nugget. Or she'll just put tiny amounts in to say she's done it, but will the taste be there?

What does she mean by burger cheese?
I think burger cheese is the plastic pre sliced rubbish.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The maddest thing about Jack's vegan(ish)ism is that after curing herself of meat addiction (to be added to the list of ailments?) and banging on about cruelty and abattoirs for a week or two and forcing SB to buy his own sausages...

...she went back to the cheapest, nastiest meat products. She's always eating jarred hot dogs FFS. There was no "veganism's not for me but I have learned to pay attention to provenance", it was "I now eat vegan 90% of the time and grated corned beef the rest!"

(Do we think the 90% veganism falls entirely into the 99.9% of her life lived outside the public eye? I suppose it's the sort of thing a professional food writer would prefer to keep quiet...unlike labia tucking.)
This really bothers me too - Gizzi Erksine is a good example of someone who eats meat but is so passionate about promoting ethical farming and being aware of where you buy your meat from ie not battery farmed supermarket tit. But going to buy ethical meat from an organic local butcher is too FANCY for jack isn’t it

Reactions: 24
Morning all 😊. Came across this little gem of an article that you might like to peruse for your Sunday morning reading. The article is from Feb 2019. Quite a few LOL moments contained for you to splutter your coffee on. My personal favourite alla Twitter 👇🏻😂 Thank goodness JM keeps us all under control...... via the block button 🙄

“Recently she’s cut her online media time, aiming for 15 minutes a day.
“To have that many people demanding your attention – if I wanted that kind of bloody nonsense, I’d have been a primary school teacher at a pupil referral unit! It’s like being playground monitor, all these unruly people expecting me to keep them under control. I’ve walked out the gate now, you can all do it yourselves!”
That article (which I read through my fingers) really reads as if the journalist doesn’t like her

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
That Man’s son Is obviously quite passionate about food. You can he was brought up learning about flavours and fresh ingredients. And he’s a decent presenter too!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
So she drank too much because she worked in professional kitchens? When was that? I thought she wasn’t trained & had never worked in a kitchen?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
The cheese is inside, the thing is she said 2slices of cheese which would be literally impossible to fit in a small nugget, loads of people do this with burgers already it’s not even a new idea, I really get the feeling her fans don’t watch any other cooking shows/ read cookery books and give way too much credit to her
We do it - using decent mince and real cheese. All you do is mush up the seasoned mince with your hands so it's malleable - you don't need to add a million binding agents, onion chunks or a Bernard Matthews Kiev-style coating as long as you actually put your clean hands to use - make meatball sized pieces, flatten them out in your palm, put a couple of bits of good cheese - anything that is a texture like Brie upwards, blue being the best - into the cup shape, then press a second flattened meatball on top and spend some time pinching and firming the burger back up. Then stick them in a pan on a gentle heat so they cook through, allow to rest and they're done. No breadcrumbs, plastic cheese, no egg, no deep fat frying, just meat (10% fat is plenty, you can use any meat mince you like), seasonings and a couple of ounces of cheese.

If people are poor, they need to get the best nutrition possible for the money and, from experience, use the fewest ingredients to get it - an unnecessary egg means one less breakfast, a burned topping or coating of breadcrumbs and plastic cheese means money wasted for zero nutrition. And the cost of deepfrying means half a bottle of oil wasted (plus the fire hazard).

The best thing somebody can do for their health when they're skint is to buy the largest bag of potatoes they can, a bag of onions, some fat/oil, some flour (plus a raising agent or two if you can't be doing with sourdough starters), seasonings/spices/herbs and some broad spectrum multivitamins. And good teabags. Anything else is a bonus and should be bought with consideration to flavour, nutrition and appearance as well as having at least five different ideas of how to use it. After those essentials, I reckon that the next things on the list should be pasta/rice, tomato puree, eggs/tinned chickpeas (as dried ones use a lot of electricity or gas to prepare) and a bag of carrots and a large, dark green cabbage or frozen peas, cheese and full fat milk if you do dairy.

That'll give thousands of combinations, no need for fancy equipment, and it will feel a lot less depressing than rinsing a tin of beans or risking a chip pan fire for oily little meatballs that cost way too much and few people will like.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
There is no such thing as ‘90% vegan’ or ‘mostly vegetarian’ or any of this bleeping nonsense she (and a lot of other people spout) because people on the whole are omnivores and their diets are made up of both animal products and vegetables. It’s the abstaining fully that makes it into a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle (if that’s the right word?). It’s the 10% bit that’s the important bit, Jack you utter muppet!
I am vegetarian and I eat a lot of meals that don’t contain any animal products (so vegan meals). I would say that makes up around 50% of my diet because I eat a lot of veggies (totally enhanced by the recommendation of The Green Roasting Tin book which I ordered after reading about on this thread btw so whoever that was then THANK YOU!) but I would not claim to be 50% vegan because that is an utterly meaningless sentiment when I eat cheese the rest of the time. You wouldn’t label a roast dinner ‘mostly vegan’ even though the majority of the plate doesn’t contain any animal products, it’s the massive piece of beef.
Anyway that’s my rant for the day!

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Morning Hausfrau,
I’ve spent some of this morning catching up on other Tattle threads as this one has been a full time job recently.
One in particular is a local influencer with questionable...everything; who initially brought me to Tattle with her rants about the site.

Some of the posts literally breath away. Opinions and comments on everything, stuff in public/private knowledge. Really really unkind. Jack.’s thread is not at like that. This is an interesting and thoughtful thread with genuine community spirit and care. She should have a read of some others...
I wonder if we have been catching up on the same one because the influencers' I have been catching up on, my god the people posting have shocked me the things being said it's just page after page of nastiness. Nothing like this thread at all.

Reactions: 6
That Man’s son Is obviously quite passionate about food. You can he was brought up learning about flavours and fresh ingredients. And he’s a decent presenter too!

About the same age as SB.

Let's hope privacy concerns prevent any facsimile attempts. Without any snidey comments about doing so.

Reactions: 6
Think she has deleted the tweet about making these on her IG live? I can’t see it, but might be my pesky iPhone 11 playing up?
Yes, this tweet has been deleted.

Screenshot_2020-06-14_120533_1.jpg

So, she's either given up on her not very original idea before she's even test run it, or they won't be "teased" on her IG live?

She'll be dipping something in Hellmann's before rolling it in breadcrumbs though, I bet. We'll find out on Tuesday.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
I think burger cheese is the plastic pre sliced rubbish.
god I miss these. With marmite in a buttery crusty baguette. And mature cheese, red leicester......
I’ve tried all the vegan cheese and they’re just not the same. Obviously! I’m sure watching Jack ruin them on tuesday will cure me of any craving.

Yes, this tweet has been deleted.

View attachment 153740

So, she's either given up on her not very original idea before she's even test run it, or they won't be on the IG live? She'll be dipping something in Hellman's before rolling it in breadcrumbs though, I bet. We'll find out on Tuesday.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Cheeseburger nuggets sounds like one of those horrible sponsored Tasty/Buzzfeed recipe videos you see when you scroll through instagram. JACK, YOU ARE NOT A GOOD COOK AND YOU DO NOT DESERVE THE AMAZING OPPORTUNITY THAT HAS BEEN GIVEN TO YOU.

I'm hungover and particularly not 'here for it' with Jack today

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
You would think someone would be intervening.

As for the cheeseburger nugget disaster she’s going to be cooking next week someone just suggested meatless farm as a substitute for the vegan version

I’d be amazed if that worked. Just my personal preference but I tried the meatless farm mince and really didn’t like it, it’s got quite a crumbly texture.

She’s going to have a task on her hands veganising that disaster.

Still, there’s always tofu and a carrot as a substitute
I think you could use the Ikea veggie balls, wrap the cheese, then dip in breadcrumbs. But as it sounds rank, I am never going to try thid

• Haha
Reactions: 9

How can a pre-teen be better at presenting a cookery show than Jack is?! Doesn’t she look at herself and cringe at how bad she is?

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I keep thinking about this...
Screenshot_20200614_115812.jpg

and something about it makes me feel uncomfortable in a power/control kind of way 😕 Wanting someone to be dependant on you for food 🤔 I don't know, I'm thinking aloud here but something about it seems wrong.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
Im on a low income and vegan. I believe I’d spend far more on food if I ate meat. I honestly don’t know why she’s suggesting that you would struggle to be vegan on a low income

I absolutely get it if you were existing from foodbanks only and some people are in that position.

She’s the person who said herself that she was eating mainly veggie meals when she was in poverty. So how can being vegan be too expensive? It’s not. Some of the pre packed stuff is eye wateringly dear but you can cook a cheap vegan meal from scratch very easily plus if you buy veg the ends of veg can always go in soup.

As for vegan cheese I used to buy vegusto but sadly their website isn’t delivering to the Uk just now.

Applewood vegan cheese is supposed to be very good. Scheeze is ok if you like a cream cheese substitute.

I miss the thought of cheese more than I miss cheese if that makes sense.

Nutritional yeast tastes quite cheesy.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.