Jack Monroe #251 There isn’t a big enough salary in the world

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Didn't know that, seems a bit sexist though. Shockingly enough from a former Conservative cabinet minister
Quite common in the north Highlands as well, I know a Hugheen and a Donalda about the same age as Nigella.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
Thank goodness for Tattle. Otherwise we would all be at home independently wondering if we were going mad. Or if everybody else was. Muttering 'but she isn't poor' 'she lives in a huge house' 'she can't cook'.
It is easy to get despondent at the utter unfairness of a grifting fibbing smug chancer being rewarded so well for doing sweet duck all. And it is completely unfair.
I have decided to try to look upon it all as entertainment. Every tweet of hers is so hilariously pompous and entitled - mixed with a hideous faux modesty. She is utterly ridiculous. Her ego is balloon like. She really is quite monstrous at the moment.
I had the rage about her twatting about and raking in the free money but then I thought - she’s still such a knob.

She’ll always be an uneducated gobshite and I live for the day when she’s hoisted by her own petard.

Also, wouldn’t it be luverly (mockney tribute) if Channel 4 were working on a grifter exposé. We can but dream. Save us LJC!

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I had the rage about her twatting about and raking in the free money but then I thought - she’s still such a knob.

She’ll always be an uneducated gobshite and I live for the day when she’s hoisted by her own petard.

Also, wouldn’t it be luverly (mockney tribute) if Channel 4 were working on a grifter exposé. We can but dream. Save us LJC!
Has the petard been found in the box of rusty spoons?

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I was grumbling to my son earlier about Nigella's tweet and the extra patreons. He said to me "There's nothing you can do, if it's bothering you so much, stop looking." I think he has a point. I enjoy the threads for the banter, which IMO gets better when JMs quiet.
Jackl Monroe gives us opportunites to practice the serenithy prayer on a daily basis :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Aldi's too common for Princess Jack, and yet how many industry awards have their products won for quality? She's such a basic little snob
Growing up in Holland, Aldi was not middle class at all, it was very look down on. The history of Aldi is quite interssting, where the north and south branch split up years ago, over an argument between the brothers Albrecht whether or not to sell cigaretttes in their stores. One became the extreme el cheapo version which I remember from my Dutch youth, and the other that became more of a middle class favourite (I am sure some still look down on it). The UK got the latter one. There are some countries that have both Aldi Nord and Sud and it might be that Aldi Nord has changed the passed decades too. But when I arrived int he UK the Aldi was very different to what I rememberred from NL. The Aldi I grew up with was so notourious for cutting costs to keep things cheap, they did not have electric sliding doors, they would never advertise and most things would be on pellets in cardboard boxes. (Not that anyone asked..and I am sure in reality things were a bit more complex than that, I am not an expert on Aldi, haha).

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
So due to current events is the index purely academic now has she realised that all she had to do was ask the manager or even the people on the shelf floor to request items to return.

I can see her attitude putting loads of staff of in her Asda her shouldering her way past the shoppers and shelf stackers to reach the last flea bitten bag of value rice,whilst screaming inequality of the poors and how the end is nigh!

No one will help a complete tosser on the rampage.

Reactions: 23
I always thought foster parents did it because they wanted to help a child. I'm quite shocked at this quote. Those poor kids.
Sadly there are those who are definitely in it for other reasons. My mum used to work at school for children excluded from mainstream education. A lot of these children had behavioural problems and many had learning difficulties and/or disabilities. Mum said it was easy for her to spot those who had fostered some of these kids in order to get a cash injection from the authorities. You get more money depending on the needs of the child. They also got a lot of kudos from friends and family "well done you for taking on such a challenging child, you're such a good person" etc.etc. I think mum found it really difficult dealing with some of the parents as she's amazing and was obviously in it for the right reasons. Thankfully some were lovely and just wanted what was best for the kids.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 39
The only reason for her to complain about her index not working anymore with the cheap products being back is that she can't be the 45p rice victim anymore (forgetting for a moment that international pric indexes for rice and such showed none of the 340% price increased she dramatically claimed).

Instead of being happy that the cheap options never really went that far, she again is the victim. She coudl now focus on some actual campaigning. For example for cutting VAT on energy, or against the increase in teaxes that are planned. But I guess that would mean doing actuall campaiging work, which takes time and can be boring. Whay do that if you can sit back while the Patreon funds come in and tweet some shite.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Sadly there are those who are definitely in it for other reasons. My mum used to work at school for children excluded from mainstream education. A lot of these children had behavioural problems and many had learning difficulties and/or disabilities. Mum said it was easy for her to spot those who had fostered some of these kids in order to get a cash injection from the authorities. You get more money depending on the needs of the child. They also got a lot of kudos from friends and family "well done you for taking on such a challenging child, you're such a good person" etc.etc. I think mum found it really difficult dealing with some of the parents as she's amazing and was obviously in it for the right reasons. Thankfully some were lovely and just wanted what was best for the kids.
This. I know someone who's high up in education and they struggle with this.

• Sad
Reactions: 28
It’s difficult, much as I don’t like renegade squigs using our lingo and making it seem like it’s us doing it, right now I commend the tenacity of repeatedly popping up and mentioning the tax, no Patreon rewards. It’s factual and yes apparently you do get piled on as “ableist” for pointing out the accounts are overdue
Anyone I've seen commenting on FB in the wild gets told that just because her accounts are overdue doesn't mean she hasn't paid her tax.

Like just because there is smoke coming from the house doesn't mean it's on fire!

No hope for these people.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
Growing up in Holland, Aldi was not middle class at all, it was very look down on. The history of Aldi is quite interssting, where the north and south branch split up years ago, over an argument between the brothers Albrecht whether or not to sell cigaretttes in their stores. One became the extreme el cheapo version which I remember from my Dutch youth, and the other that became more of a middle class favourite (I am sure some still look down on it). The UK got the latter one. There are some countries that have both Aldi Nord and Sud and it might be that Aldi Nord has changed the passed decades too. But when I arrived int he UK the Aldi was very different to what I rememberred from NL. The Aldi I grew up with was so notourious for cutting costs to keep things cheap, they did not have electric sliding doors, they would never advertise and most things would be on pellets in cardboard boxes. (Not that anyone asked..and I am sure in reality things were a bit more complex than that, I am not an expert on Aldi, haha).
Aldi and Lidl both had a pretty bad reputation when they first started in the UK & Ireland...the tiny aisles, the uncomfortably fast service, and remember the days before trolleys, when you'd have to find an empty cardboard box to hold your shopping? But I think people gradually realised that the food was comparable to any other supermarket, in some cases better (the chocolate!!). The city centre Lidl in Dublin was a godsend when I was a student...

Plus they have great weekly offers - when I lived in a very tit city in the south of Spain, Lidl's revolving national weeks were the only opportunity to get a lot of ingredients that other supermarkets didn't stock. I once bought 3kg of halloumi in Greek Week, and I have no regrets. Where I live nowadays, Lidl is a 45-min walk away and Aldi a little closer but with big hills. I still go to get chocolate and a few other things. Some vegans have told me that they can get better food at Aldi/Lidl too.

I think nowadays most people have got over their distrust of Aldi and Lidl. The shopping experience can be quite stressful, but they stock a lot of good stuff, and they're so widespread now. It's mad that Jack just pretends they don't exist - surely the first piece of advice you'd give someone trying to save money is "look for your nearest Aldi or Lidl"?

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Has she had her meeting with Asda?

I wonder what lovely gifts 'a friend' will send today? With accompanying tortured explanation. And which family member or dear friend will step in to make sure she is eating? 🤮

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
Ive always been a bit surprised Jack doesn’t go to Aldi as I thought the affluent middle were big fans (not sure about Lidl? Are they a bit non U?). They tend to love the European experience and of course saving pennies. Maybe one of her exes used to shop there and her grudge has encompassed everything they did and liked (my narcissist mother did this🔺). Or of course it could just be the fact that it is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE for her to travel more than 1.6 miles to a supermarket for some reason.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
She could also totally afford a bike (or find one in a puddle or have a friend gift her one) with good panniers and cycle to Aldi or Lidl if she wanted to.

Reactions: 21
She could also totally afford a bike (or find one in a puddle or have a friend gift her one) with good panniers and cycle to Aldi if she wanted to.
It's a catch-22, the only place that sells bike gear cheap enough for Jack is...Aldi itself.

#AldiBikeIndex coming soon to a Patreon near you!

• Haha
Reactions: 35
What a contrast with Jack! A thoughtful meal plan based on stuff people might actually want to eat, no rinsed beans or pointless additions to recipes, no larping as a poor- just a bit of thought and the desire to be helpful.
I've run a playgroup for NCT when my eldest SB was indeed small and she's probably seen more people struggling than Jack . It's also a relatively thankless task to rock up early and set up the equipment with your toddler helping and then ignoring said toddler whilst you try to get everyone to sign in for fire regulations whilst not pushing the donation fee in the faces of those who might need the money for milk

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.