Jack Monroe #250 Jack Monroe’s Patreon is a scam

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jack has retweeted Nigella.
View attachment 1027667
Hats off to her, in a way. To say, she has somehow managed to land on the perfect grift - normally, content-creating Patreon types put in a bit of effort, produce something for the masses, and then present it with reminders for donations. Monroe, on the other hand, has bleeping managed to convince these gullible fuckwits that she is *always* working, discreetly and tirelessly behind the scenes and as such, a tweet reminding them to pay her what she thinks she is owed is about all she has to bother to do, no effort required.

She's a shameless, horrible fucker but she at least has made the most of her one and only, single talent - the scamming of simpletons out of money.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 64
Let’s give someone who has written about addiction issues a duck ton of cash, where she doesn’t have to work or do anything constructive. Genius.

I hope she’s shitting herself from the backlash of not sending stuff out.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
This is it lads. While she's out at the meeting Charlie Bigham HIMSELF will arrive at the bungalow like the Milk Tray man and STEAL the notebooks. As he's leaving he'll say "all because the lady loves empty shelves" then he'll do a laugh like Skeletor.
“ * gasp *finally, I have my hands on the precious Monroe Moleskins ! Using their forensic and granular research into the food prices of the The Poors , I shall be able to launch my new povvo ready meal range “Brassic Binghams Bung it in ” . I’ll just leave Jack a quick note , and a voucher for 10% off - I reckon the “ cut price peach curried Muddy Puddle Lobster” will be right up their street * skeletor laugh * “
1286115D-C6B3-4E61-805E-EE3A3CB50B37.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 55
Rarely a troll in her replies. The real reason she limits them is incase somebody talks sense to the rest of them, she hates us seeing that.

What a tit show, I just hope at least a percentage of the new Patreons hold her to account to provide something - if not physical items then some evidence that she's doing something other than lolling around the bungalow on the hammock or collecting pieces of broken pottery from the nearby beach. Jack hun your lazy days are over 😬

Reactions: 43
She isn’t a charity.
It’s taxable.

her fees also have vat on them - I wonder if Patreon sorts out the VAT. Which is odd as I would have thought the ‘creator’ was proving the vatable goods or services not Patreon. I’m not a vat expert. But vat returns will then be another thing to deal with.
There's a threshold before you're liable for VAT. This new cash injection may unexpectedly take her over that, creating another layer of complication and extra work to add to her current taxation issues.
Edit: this might be different for digital products and services. A more learned Frau will be along with a better response soon.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Let’s give someone who has written about addiction issues a duck ton of cash, where she doesn’t have to work or do anything constructive. Genius.

I hope she’s shitting herself from the backlash of not sending stuff out.
She won't though, her whole career has been built on a sob story, she will be rattling them off left, right and centre to these poor souls to get out of what she needs to do. And they will let her.

Reactions: 21
I'd wondered whether her near total silence about the patreon explosion was out of fear. If I had hundreds of people suddenly subscribing to a service I knew I was failing to provide, but had been getting away with it, I'd be a clammy mess.

It would be so stressful, I think I would be in blind panic trying to think about what I could to appease the new subscribers or how to change the tiers slightly to make the deliverables actually achievable.

But nope. Jack is so non-plussed she's given it a second boost, without even acknowledging her income from it has likely more than doubled in the last 24 hours.

Cash in first, cry later is the strategy I guess?
I bet Jack was fully aware that Nigella was going to tweet the Patreon link. I can't see anyone of Nigella's breeding not confirming it was okay beforehand.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
I'm a Patreon for a couple of podcasts (and get bonus episodes for them). For one of the podcasts, they specifically tell you not to subscribe to their Patreon at the end of the month and that you should wait a few days before you join.

You'd think Jack could at least have waited until Tuesday to retweet Nigella, so that they wouldn't be charged for two months :rolleyes:

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 49
There's a threshold before you're liable for VAT. This new cash injection may unexpectedly take her over that, creating another layer of complication and extra work to add to her current taxation issues.
Edit: this might be different for digital products and services. A more learned Frau will be along with a better response soon.
bleeping good!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
2 pages behind so it’s probs been said but all she’s doing with that is priming/grooming her audience to believe that anyone who has anything to say is some alt right nutter.

People should be allowed to comment on any/everything. This is why the internet is so amazing and can host weird communities like ours?! And I say this as someone who is married to someone who’s received more than his lifetime share of (more often than not fair) comment, criticisms, memes, as well as tiny dashings of (admittedly quite scary) abuse. It’s really bleeping weird to expect everyone to fawn over you and not comment on the fact you’re raking in £2k pcm for your “work” on austerity?

• Heart
Reactions: 74
Poor smol pixie, wrapped in layers of her own bullshit safe from those mean people who just want to gently softly correct her, not fold her head in.
Exactly, absolutely no one here is telling her to kill or harm herself. We're just calling BS.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
It's the way the drama is starting already. I dunno about anyone else, but the second I bought one of her books I took extra notice of her and what she was saying/doing. Bound to be a few Squigs who will be keeping an eye on their investment

• Heart
Reactions: 33
She isn’t a charity.
It’s taxable.

her fees also have vat on them - I wonder if Patreon sorts out the VAT. Which is odd as I would have thought the ‘creator’ was proving the vatable goods or services not Patreon. I’m not a vat expert. But vat returns will then be another thing to deal with.
Sorry to post so much but I’d never paid attention to this, should I be including VAT in our estimates? I had assumed this was paying Patreon’s VAT liability rather than hers, if we think she’s receiving that 20% we should include it as the figure we share is gross.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Ok Nigella can definitely get to absolute duck now too.
All of these overprivileged wankers like her and Hugh Grant with their performative twattering. Can’t even give them the benefit of the doubt any more - they’re not well meaning if a bit clueless. They’re selfish and they don’t give a duck about the little people. It’s so galling how they pretend.
Think I’m letting my PMT take over a bit here, sorry.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Sorry to post so much but I’d never paid attention to this, should I be including VAT in our estimates? I had assumed this was paying Patreon’s VAT liability rather than hers, if we think she’s receiving that 20% we should include it as the figure we share is gross.
I don’t know to be honest. All the Patreon pay vat which will be then paid to HMRC so I think net amounts are accurate for what she is getting.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.