Jack Monroe #250 Jack Monroe’s Patreon is a scam

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
(I hope this thread title is ok, legally?) 😬

Title by @PortiaControl Nominated by @FunnyFuneral

Please remember no thread title nominations until the tail end of the thread and to add ‘thread title’ or ‘thread title nomination’. No swearing in them please.

Wiki is the pink button for newbies.

250 threads. Wow. Sadly it’s a little overshadowed by Nigella Lawson telling her 2million plus followers to join Jack’s patreon, which they happily did. Cheers Nige, threads crying.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 112
589 subs. That's £1800 assuming higher fees (not going to work out tax because, let's face it, she won't).
Because of the way patreon takes fees, she'll be getting at least £1000 this weekend the new subs (350-fees), plus the full £1800 on 1st Feb (ignoring annual subs).
For doing what? Some factually dubious tweets about the stock in her local ASDA, followed by claiming credit for changes the ONS were going to make anyway...
Plus the crafting of carefully worded tweets breadcrumbing poverty.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 93
Mateys, if I were paid to grunk I'd be on penalty rates by now.
Nigella is disappointing but I'm consoling myself by thinking about when I worked in returns for her publisher (RH)
and we'd open her returned books and piss ourselves at photos of her coyly peeking out from behind bunches of dried spaghetti like a silly goose.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
Imagine waking up to an extra grand in your account for doing precisely nothing, knowing that the income from your little side gig of setting up a profile on a website and writing some guff about tiers has just doubled overnight and that it will continue to pay out on such a level indefinitely. And to think she wasted so many of her grifting years on silly things like kick-starters...she could have been doing this all along. With no thought to the sacrifices those people have to make to bankroll her lifestyle, remember, she truly believes it's the least she deserves just on account of who she is and will no doubt put it down to the prayers that she's apparently been saying to herself. The world is broken.

Not that it really changes much, as there is and never has been any doubt in this Tattler's mind, that she's properly loaded anyway. Expect more tweets, more grifting. Lazy Sundays, 7 days a week for the foreseeable then, would be surprising if she did an honest day's work ever again.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 68
The average patreon donation across the whole platform is $6.70. I bet she's got a couple of big donors and loads not on the minimum.

It's easily possible she's pulling in 3 grand a month from it, every month 😳 .

That money could really help a small charity. Enabling Jack for years to carry on being on twitter isn't going to help her one bit.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 79
I know this must have been asked countless times but how will this index she's going on about work?

People send her receipts and her 'maths brain' puts all this random stuff into spreadsheets?! I'd done such a good job of avoiding her until she was suddenly everywhere again.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Jack Monroe is not a blogger - her blog is hardly ever updated.

She has been described on the media as doing forensic research She doesn't. That's a self description. And poor journalism just to copy it.

Spending money on her books for recipes. A waste of money. The Internet has loads of free recipes for whatever you are looking for. And - even better than a cookbook - most sites have comments and feedback so you can get a better picture if its right for you.

Jack doesn't listen to feedback. She is still churning out recipes with poor portion control, pointless steps eg rinsing beans (wasteful) and ones that just don't work. Jack is so resistant to constructive criticism that those who feedback unless it is with praise are treated as troll.

And yes the patreon is a scam.

• Heart
Reactions: 82
Imagine waking up to an extra grand in your account for doing precisely nothing, knowing that the income from your little side gig of setting up a profile on a website and writing some guff about tiers has just doubled overnight and that it will continue to pay out on such a level indefinitely. And to think she wasted so many of her grifting years on silly things like kick-starters...she could have been doing this all along. With no thought to the sacrifices those people have to make to bankroll her lifestyle, remember, she truly believes it's the least she deserves just on account of who she is and will no doubt put it down to the prayers that she's apparently been saying to herself. The world is broken.

Not that it really changes much, as there is and never has been any doubt in this Tattler's mind, that she's properly loaded anyway. Expect more tweets, more grifting. Lazy Sundays, 7 days a week for the foreseeable then, would be surprising if she did an honest day's work ever again.
The worst thing about all this is that a chunk of that ‘free’ cash she’s getting will be coming from those that can’t easily afford it, the very people she purports to be helping.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 54
I keep reading posts and nodding along because I agree with so much that has been said. She is literally taking away from those who can least afford either directly (those who are on limited income) or indirectly (the money could have gone somewhere like a food bank, charity or community project) and she has the absolute gall to pretend that she is has nothing and rattles her tin can. I bet in a month or so when the media hype has died down she will plead poverty again, but I hope that because SO many people have signed up that someone will hold her accountable.
And you Nigella? Hang your head in shame for supporting such a fraud. You disappoint me.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
If she ever says she’s poor again, or even hints at it ... then I hope she’s called out for it. I’ve been trying to stay detached from feelings of anger because there’s not much point in that 😂 but do feel sick at how much she gets away with, and her self-victimisation.
Which also makes me think - if she were ever cancelled, there’s no doubt the big light will go off and the many ailments milked more than horses.

• Heart
Reactions: 82
Me, this morning

1643529027796.gif

I hate waking up cross, but I’m still furious

• Heart
Reactions: 39
The worst thing about all this is that a chunk of that ‘free’ cash she’s getting will be coming from those that can’t easily afford it, the very people she purports to be helping.
Similarly, a chunk of that cash (particularly from the Nigella call-out) will be coming from pretty well-off people who could be doing so much good with that money- a monthly payment to a food bank, a local women’s charity etc. So either way, the money is being essentially wasted.

Jack must be feeling deep-down terrified right now. She claims she is booked up for the next 2 weeks, this behemoth index that had been promised to the world has to be completed and now, all these new patreons have arrived, bright eyed, waiting for content. Now normally, Jack would ignore them. But they have come from Mom, she cannot let her down, she is the ultimate blue ticker and therefore she cannot let these new gullible Patreons down. She must realise what she has let herself in for with all these commitments? What having 500+ Patreons linked to one of the famous chefs in the world means?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 77
It's utterly depressing that there are hundreds of people who have enough disposable income to give monthly donations, who actively choose to give that money to one person who doesn't need it instead of a foodbank or charity.

It doesn't matter whether you think she deserves it for all her 'campaigning', more good would be achieved if the money went elsewhere.

I don't think there will be a Patreon uprising. These people don't want postcards and framed prints. They want to feel warm and fuzzy for being good and generous. And they do now, in the same way Nigella et al feel for 'amplifying disenfranchised voices' (retweeting Jack).

And Jack sleeps soundly, because she believes she deserves it all for her many years of ardourous work.

On another note, because it gets asked all the time, any income, whether be it on Patreon, tipjar, PayPal, etc. has to be declared as income. We have no evidence to suggest she hasn't done this.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 73
If she pulled her finger out ad produced some decent content to keep the new followers happy (not beyond her I don't think) she could be set for a long time here.

Reactions: 24
Similarly, a chunk of that cash (particularly from the Nigella call-out) will be coming from pretty well-off people who could be doing so much good with that money- a monthly payment to a food bank, a local women’s charity etc. So either way, the money is being essentially wasted.

Jack must be feeling deep-down terrified right now. She claims she is booked up for the next 2 weeks, this behemoth index that had been promised to the world has to be completed and now, all these new patreons have arrived, bright eyed, waiting for content. Now normally, Jack would ignore them. But they have come from Mom, she cannot let her down, she is the ultimate blue ticker and therefore she cannot let these new gullible Patreons down. She must realise what she has let herself in for with all these commitments? What having 500+ Patreons linked to one of the famous chefs in the world means?
She won't care. There'll be an excuse. There always is, and these gullible fools will buy the poorly sick smol pixie story, just like they always do.

I'm so angry at Nigella for what she's done.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
I've woken up to my first ever thread title! Thanks so Matt much Matt! Covid can't stop me!

Is this how J1g feels?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 75
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.