Jack Monroe #248 Let's face it, she's the Rachel Dolezal of poverty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just see what they're asking for. Next to the donation bin they usually have a list. Mine does ask for cans of things like beans but it's far more varied usually. I always try and pop in treats and foods for people with allergies too (gluten free pasta, soy milk) as well some spices and herbs and salt and pepper as when you're building a kitchen cupboard up from scratch again that can be expensive. They often also ask for toiletries too and sanitary products.
same we look on the website they have a list then throw in some sweets and things as well kids may like

Reactions: 26
Am I being stupid, or does she mean she buys her own books from indie book sellers to stock them on her own website? Wouldn’t her publisher supply copies?
Glad I’m not alone in being confused by that tweet….🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 24
That list also looks "whiter than a jar of mayo" (her words not mine). I do not have the stats but is that the kind of food that low income immigrants/refuges/BAME people would eat? Corned beef and Fray Bentos?! It all sounds like its centring around her experiences of eating tinned fish... (shock)
Right, thank you, I was going to mention this! Apart from the fact that those pies are what people eat in Viz or something the range of foods used by people in larger towns and cities is far beyond her understanding.

My brother in law would consider the fridge empty if there wasn't half a goat in there, and I do mean half a goat, so canned goods for him are going to be wildly different to, for example, an elderly Jewish lady.

The food bank I do deliveries for has notes on people's preferences and allergies etc, the idea that this could be anything other than a fairly loose idea of price increases to illustrate a trend is absurd. Forensic indeed. Good lord.

Reactions: 43
out of interest, for those who donate to food banks, what do you donate? i don't think i've ever donated a can of anything.
I tend to donate things like sanitary products, micellar water, moisturizer then a few treat bits - nice biscuits, box of chocs etc. My thinking is that most people will donate the basics and I think it'd be nice for someone to have something to enjoy rather than eat out of necessity if that makes sense. My local one always asks for feminine products and skincare stuff but obv depends on where you are/what they ask for. Best to contact them and see what they need!

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Oh and also, lads, re Rachel the very sweet doc, she's the absolute epitome of "blue ticker taken by JM" - she's lovely 🔺but is about as far removed from poverty as it's possible to be.

If you told her all people raised on council estates had webbed toes she'd spearhead a campaign to have surgeons roll out training dealing with it.

(I don't have webbed toes btw, I'm just saying)

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I thought the index was just her shopping list.

OMFG Jack. You're so beyond basic, Asda Shoeburyness don't even stock you.

• Haha
Reactions: 63
For those who suspect that Jack isn't fully cognisant with the Terry Pratchett opus outside of the bits helpful squigs type out and send to her there's a pretty big indication here that your suspicions are justified.
I've been racking my brains on this, I wondered if she meant our world? But the city name would be more appropriate. Detritus could take her in an intellectual challenge. On a hot day.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.