Jack Monroe #248 Let's face it, she's the Rachel Dolezal of poverty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Very true @Pocahontas

I'm wondering how many Squiggles will understand (AFF) or even notice it, but I see the link's an affiliated link back to Amazon, so much for the indies and Mr Green Bookshop again.

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 47
What gets me most about "the poor are suffering the most" is not that it's blatantly obvious but that it lumps everyone together. From my limited experience, it seems that single people without children are the most likely to fall through the gaps.
Hate to say I told you so, but not surprised Martin Lewis is applauding Jack with this fake news and is unable to see how ridicious it is claiming the ONS changed something in a week. He's all about the affiliate links.

• Wow
Reactions: 54
Famouses will be very quick to hitch their wagon to other famouses if they think there's something in it for them.

• Sick
Reactions: 46
I thought the reason she wrote the first book was in order to educate food bank users about how to cook with the items in the food bank? Otherwise what was the point?
She and her followers have also suggested donating copies of her book to food banks in the past. Not needed if users can already cook, but I guesa Jack doesn’t mind implying they can’t if it gets her some ££.

• Sick
Reactions: 40
Is Jack seriously claiming to be compiling this stupid price index with pen and paper. duck off you twonk

Economists and analysts are not known for levity, but Chris Giles, Dresserman and the ONS guys must be laughing their bleeping indices off right now.

1643295589411.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
YOU FRANCE USER! (I have been on the ferry to France twice, must be an expert, except I can't actually remember much about it)
I’ve gone there and back on the speedy one so I can drive a trimaran - I stood at the front and everything.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I'd be interested to know the figures for books bought through Amazon versus books bought through independent book sellers. That rent won't pay itself. Maybe time to start flogging the silver (spoons).
Depends how she published them. Indie might offset with costs of producing, through publisher she might get quid a book if she's lucky. My sales across digital & print worked out about 1.80 a copy but my publisher had generous royalty figures.

Reactions: 28
Just having a look online to try and find some examples of price increases....I know this isn't wholly accurate as don't know the packet size, it was truly the price or whether the pasta is definitely not being stocked in Asda.

But......it was cheaper now than in 2012 🤔
Screenshot_20220127-150739_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220127-150634_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220127-151049_Asda.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.