Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve paraphrased him slightly
“So is there a hierarchy on poorness then? Those that live near the Asda are true poors whereas those that live near Tesco should think themselves lucky because they can still get a tin of beans for 20p”
Thread title klaxon 🚨

Reactions: 25
Tax Fraus - apologies if this has been mentioned before but would money she rakes in from her various tip jars be given to 'Jack Monroe' or 'On a Bootstrap' - i.e. are they two separate entities tax-wise? (Jack as an individual/employee/freelancer vs Jack as a company) And would she be able to get away with not declaring any of these (e.g. if it comes through F&F on PayPal etc)? I know there'll be a rule about how you should pay over a certain threshold, but would anyone actually check? If it's already been answered could you link me... funnily enough it's hard to search here for tax, tip jar etc with Jackie!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
What has Jack done to help poor people in the last year?

- Free school meals tantrum on Twitter
- Promised family recipes during school meal saga (never delivered)
- Partnership with Del Monte, claiming that Del Monte canned goods are worth spending more on
- errrr...
- Sticky brown poo?
- Helped anonymous secret toothpaste eater on Twitter (allegedly)

That's it. She hasn't even provided budget recipes. Being poor is not fun, but there are things you can do to make it more tolerable.

She NEVER offers solutions. Whenever someone says "Tesco is cheaper" or "Aldi is great" she starts ranting about how irrelevant that is because apparently she is legally prohibited from shopping anywhere but Asda. Instead of offering tips, she tells people they are going to starve to death.

Ironically, this should have been the best year of her career, as more people than ever are on tight budgets. But she has no interest in doing anything productive.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 63
Yes. Yes, they are really this bleeping dense. See screenies below for the fan who doesn’t mind if taxes aren't paid
What happens if her company is struck off?

Can Cooking on a Bootstrap just disappear and be replaced with Bootstrap Cook ltd the next day with Jack as director or would there be penalties stopping her from setting up a new business for a period of time?

Reactions: 26
Just been having a look through twitter. Some of the squigs are having a hard (actually awful) time at the hands of the FMs. There’s probably a handful of non-JM specific squigs that seem to be trying to set people straight but there are none so blind as my gran would say.

• Sad
Reactions: 37
Highly recommend the Twitter of James Rebanks (hope it's okay to post this here...he is a blue tick with 160k followers). He is a farmer and gives a good overview why cheap food is not the answer...

"In ten years talking about this stuff I’ve never had a poor person tell me they want cheaper food - they want better jobs and opportunities and the things the rest of us want I’ve had about a thousand right wing affluent people tell me cheap food is all for poor people’s sake"

• Heart
Reactions: 64
I've mentioned on the early days of these threads that I've had the misfortune of meeting Camilla Batmangelidgh many times.
She is vile. Her sycophantic staff were like a cult. She would literally sit and hold court in meetings, sometimes actually sitting at her feet and gazing up at her. Yes really. It was horrible.
The actual volunteers who ran the 'charity' were so keen to help and tbf it was a really worthwhile cause but the whole thing was a glory festival for their goddess Camilla.
Jack is 100% the same. The same sick smug grin when getting that Narc supply.
I think I was sort of taken in by CB mainly because I didn't give her much thought. I heard a couple of interviews and it was all about her disarming dangerous youths and thousands of deprived children who had never owned underwear which I was a bit Hmmmmm about.

It wasn't until the expose and details of the vast amounts of money that I dug a little deeper. And duck me, she makes Jack look like a rank amateur

She was another one the Guardian loved.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
Highly recommend the Twitter of James Rebanks (hope it's okay to post this here...he is a blue tick with 160k followers). He is a farmer and gives a good overview why cheap food is not the answer...

"In ten years talking about this stuff I’ve never had a poor person tell me they want cheaper food - they want better jobs and opportunities and the things the rest of us want I’ve had about a thousand right wing affluent people tell me cheap food is all for poor people’s sake"
He did a really excellent thread on cheapening food in early December and how it only leads to the rich getting richer.

• Wow
Reactions: 35
What happens if her company is struck off?

Can Cooking on a Bootstrap just disappear and be replaced with Bootstrap Cook ltd the next day with Jack as director or would there be penalties stopping her from setting up a new business for a period of time?
It’s called phoenixing and you aren’t supposed to be able to do it. Every time it gets near strike off it is stopped so I think HMRC are objecting so they get a tax return.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
She's been a long-term twitter bugbear of mine. Nasty person, I'm not sure how some of the decent people she works with tolerate her 🤷‍♀️
Oh my days thank GOD I’m not the only one who thinks this. I have a mutual friend with her who is lovely and I just cannot understand why she likes this hateful git. Every time I see her weighing in on an issue with her po-faced misreading of social justice issues I shudder.

Back on topic: seeing Jack under the headline “THE POOR WILL STARVE” with that sepulchral smirk has turned my stomach. Roll on spectacular fallout from her inability to complete the index.
(Also wonder how her publishers feel about her having two extremely overdue books while taking on this project? Not a particularly professional decision *pretends to be shocked.GIF*)

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I think I was sort of taken in by CB mainly because I didn't give her much thought. I heard a couple of interviews and it was all about her disarming dangerous youths and thousands of deprived children who had never owned underwear which I was a bit Hmmmmm about.

It wasn't until the expose and details of the vast amounts of money that I dug a little deeper. And duck me, she makes Jack look like a rank amateur

She was another one the Guardian loved.
As were we as an organisation. We were thrilled she wanted to work with us.
Thankfully the powers that be in our organisation listened to staff concerns and noped out of any collaboration with them.

• Heart
I actually think this fantasy index is dangerous, especially since she will be banging on about those £20 shops again. It will simply reinforce the thoughts in people's minds that people on low incomes (who I am not going to refer to as the poor) should be able to feed 3 people on that joyless basket of food. Why would we need to raise benefits or wages when people can eat some kale and yellow sticker chicken wings? Families should be able to feed themselves decent quality food that actually tastes good. It's such a worthy idea people should be eating chickpea curry when almost every child would rather have a plate of chicken nuggets or some pizza and a roast chicken on a Sunday.

Remember the food she used to claim to give sb for packed lunch? Cheap white bread sandwiches with cheese spread and grated carrot served with some smart price maize snacks, does anyone have the receipts for that?

I bought some lamb from Asda yesterday which obviously makes me part of the aristocracy. In reality that £3.50 pack of lamb will make 4 portions of tagine. I also bought biscuits, coffee and other decent food. The prices are going up (my 4 pints of milk had gone up from £1.10 to £1.15) but it is not 300%.

When I worked at CAB there was something known as a trigger figure when working out debt repayment plans. When someone had debts it would allow you a figure for food as an essential spend before they calculated any surplus to be paid to creditors, unfortunately, these figures are only viewable if you have a license but I seem to remember years ago it was £35 for an adult and child.

There are organisations that already calculate the effect of prices on people who are struggling. After every client comes into CAB the advisor fills in a stats form. It tells them what the issue is i.e. debt, delayed benefits, food bank voucher, found fit to work when disabled etc. They then put together yearly reports. The child poverty action group have been around for 50 years and also produce excellent materials and campaigns around poverty.

The people headline about the poor starving to death was also highly irresponsible.

Anyway, I have created the grifter index. Let's calculate the cost of the following essentials and hope the tip jar rattling can keep up with demand.

Ouchy mouth pringles.
Sherbet dib dabs.
Sardines (extra special).
Eggs (from the greengrocer).
Milk (from milk and more)
Sideboards (Cotswold).
Cat food (gourmet perl).
Bottled lemon juice.
Pot noodles.
Haircuts at Toni and Guys.
63 different eyeshadow palletes.

Does anyone have anything to add to that list?
Contents insurance.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Tax Fraus - apologies if this has been mentioned before but would money she rakes in from her various tip jars be given to 'Jack Monroe' or 'On a Bootstrap' - i.e. are they two separate entities tax-wise? (Jack as an individual/employee/freelancer vs Jack as a company) And would she be able to get away with not declaring any of these (e.g. if it comes through F&F on PayPal etc)? I know there'll be a rule about how you should pay over a certain threshold, but would anyone actually check? If it's already been answered could you link me... funnily enough it's hard to search here for tax, tip jar etc with Jackie!
1 they are two seperate entities
2 you can get away with anything until they catch you. Tax is self assessment unless paye so it is your responsibility to report and pay the correct amount. HMRC can check you have done this. When that happens to her she is probably screwed.

• Heart
He did a really excellent thread on cheapening food in early December and how it only leads to the rich getting richer.
Yep, that is the one I am quoting from but I am not tech savvy enough to post it here directly. I wish people like him with a well balanced view and first hand experience but get a voice in the media not that incompetent lady.

Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.