Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When she gets on to the subject of the cost of school uniform, I'll join in. wouldn't want to give her the heads up before she runs off at the mouth about them.

Reactions: 25
im sorry to jump in...i only pop in and out of reading this thread occasionally, so sorry if its been repeated.

but what is she talking about? does she think the government are going to take a look at her receipts and tip the economic world on its head because of her?

her figures are all over the place, tesco is the same price or cheaper for the things she is naming- rice, bread, baked beans.

since she has been involved in soooooooooooooooooooooo many government reports, surely she must know about statistical integrity? surely she has played around with spss?
Because i will guarantee that her data will come back as unreliable, biased, and fail in a normality test. And therefor unusable, unpublishable and no academic would be interested in it.

she has said the way that inflation is measured is flawed, but this is so unbelieveably flawed that its making me angry. she cannot measure cost of living based on sainsburys alone. all the hours she is wasting, she could just write them a nice letter-

Hi sainsburys, your prices have gone up.

Thanks Jack, we are aware.

To do what she wants (or i think she wants) isnt really possible. She would need the prices for each of the supermarkets last year, and this year, and account for the "local" versions which are always more expensive. And then what? I dont know- possibly a comparison of food bank usage to postcode, to which supermarkets are available. Thats the only way you could prove statistically that inflation hits poorer areas the hardest using supermarket data.

But thats a very statistic heavy analysis which she simply isnt capable of.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
Suitcases under those eyes.

the enormity of what she has promised will crash down and nothing will actually be produced. The media will have moved on and won’t care.

when No One is talking about her anymore - imagine the crushing darkness of the soul…

• Heart
Reactions: 38
She can absolutely get to duck splurging the content of DMs from vulnerable people (if they exist) in tabloid interviews. Ghoul.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
How much was the sideboard in the background?
🎶 the one with the waggly tail 🎶 😂😂
Loving the subtle wee William Morris and Emma Bridgewater items in the background along with the apothecary cabinet from Ye Olde Wayfair.
She’s such a posing bastard

• Haha
Reactions: 55
Suitcases under those eyes.

the enormity of what she has promised will crash down and nothing will actually be produced. The media will have moved on and won’t care.

when No One is talking about her anymore - imagine the crushing darkness of the soul…
I’m betting all my slopcoin on Sunday Night Snark

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I also feel like Jack has a really bizarre (read: unhinged) conception of how other people function when money is scarce.

It feels so patronising for her to behave as though someone living below the poverty line might never have purchased branded foodstuffs. People choose to spend their money as they see fit. There's a whole host of complicated, nuanced relationships that people have with food that go beyond Jack's "no money smartprice beans" attitude.

She's also boring. And I know that's not an erudite criticism of her, but she's so bleeping boring.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 63
The Fisher Price toy telephone in the background…erm…hoping people still see her as a struggling single mum with a very small child, maybe?

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 67
im going to stop looking after this, but can someone help me understand what she is saying?

" This time last year, the cheapest rice at the same supermarket was 45p for a kilogram bag. Today it’s £1 for 500g. That’s a 344% price increase as it hits the poorest and most vulnerable households. "

what??!!
She is talking about Asda, she's moved.
Also, people have posted that Asda does have 45p/kg rice, so possibly just not at Jacks Asda.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I am a lurker, I follow several threads on Tattle but don’t reply as I don’t want to be accused of bullying (as work for NHS) so this is my first post but I’ve been a Tattle lurker since the first lockdown and this is the first time I’ve ever felt enraged enough to post. I’m still grunking my way through the last thread and just want to say HOW DARE SHE? Some of us have actual issues, don’t eat enough and use what little income they get (supported by UC) to take care of their children. I don’t have the luxury of shopping around. I live in a city centre and shop daily at the express versions of the big TWO. It’s all I have time for because I WORK, BUSY, etc etc. I get yellow sticker items when I can but otherwise it’s nutritionally balanced basic meals that I actually cook rather than just melting everything into inedible slop. I don’t whine about it. I don’t have a tip jar. I just get on with it like a lot of people living in less-than-ideal circumstances do. Sorry if my incandescence shines through but she is so full of tit and I wish I could call her out. She knows nothing about struggle. Back to continue grunking last thread now kids are asleep. Hi by the way.

• Heart
Reactions: 143
She is talking about Asda, she's moved.
hahah i cant keep up with her shenanigans. maybe she should have written an article for the guardian, where shes pictured looking out of a rainy window and telling the world about her decision to shop at asda.

otherwise, how would i know? im just one person.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
The Fisher Price toy telephone in the background…erm…hoping people still see her as a struggling single mum with a very small child, maybe?
Interesting, I was just thinking how cute it was. Dingbat.

And for normality tests? Jack won’t need them. Her data is special not normal.

(being facetious btw- she wouldn’t know a Field textbook if it came in the colour eau de nil)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.