Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not grunked yet sorry if this lands in a an odd place.
My husband watches a guy called Atomic Shrimp on YouTube. His latest video on supermarket prices could be interesting. I haven’t watched it fully yet but skimmed forward to 6 minutes where he has put prices in a spreadsheet. I noticed those 22p Asda beans that apparently don’t exist anymore are there…

I really like Mike and was thinking of sharing this here too. He specifically makes time to mention that his experience proves nothing due to the fact it's limited by out of stock products and the limit of the supermarkets in his area - which is exactly the kind of insight Jack lacks in her crowing on twitter. But Comparing a dozen supermarkets is a lot more thorough and was really interesting to watch.

His limited budget food challenges - where he also makes specific mention that they are *not* to show that living on a budget is easy, rather that it's quite hard - are also really interesting and creative. The food he manages to come up with for, say £1 for a day or £2 per 2 days, focusing on variety, taste, and adequate portion/nutrition often look really good.

Also, despite making and tasting a lot of vegan food, admits he's just a curious omnivore. No 90% vegan bs. Bit of a tangent, but it quite starkly contrasts many qualities Jack should have but lacks.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
Jack has no idea what she has taken on, does she? She can't even commit to two weeks of TV without days off sick.

• Haha
Reactions: 60
It also involves peer review. Not really sure Jack could cope with everything she did being scrutinised in the open by experts without her having the ability to set her monkeys on them.

We shall see what happens eh?
Can you imagine? I'd pay good money to be first reviewer on Jack Monroe's number extravaganza.*

*the fact I would pay for this is evidence enough why I am not an economist, and would be totally unqualified, but I'd still do it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
I did a Tesco shop this morning for research and all the Stockwell there new value range was there and all within a reasonable price range. Also interesting thing I noticed was the jacket potatoes the pack of 4 when I was a student were 50p, not they are 39p.

The biggest issue I find is energy prices and or rent are eating up everyone's money. Shopping has increased but not as much as she claims.

🔺🔺🔺🔺🔺 I was a student ten years ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
I did a Tesco shop this morning for research and all the Stockwell there new value range was there and all within a reasonable price range. Also interesting thing I noticed was the jacket potatoes the pack of 4 when I was a student were 50p, not they are 39p.

The biggest issue I find is energy prices and or rent are eating up everyone's money. Shopping has increased but not as much as she claims.
But they don’t shop at Tesco so your pricing is meaningless and is not comparable at all.

• Haha
Reactions: 62

🔺🔺🔺🔺🔺 I was a student ten years ago.
I just don’t understand why she isn’t more angry about the energy crisis.

My post made no sense so I changed it. There has to be a reason.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Newbie to Jack tbh but out of curiosity (have read the wiki) is there a reason she still pretends to live in poverty?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Just watching Ainsley on the food network here and he’s making a chocolate mousse. He does the upside down egg white over his head, can u imagine Jack trying this….. it would end up with a head full of sloppy under-mixed whites!

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Newbie to Jack tbh but out of curiosity (have read the wiki) is there a reason she still pretends to live in poverty?
WarlikeAffectionateAntarcticfurseal-max-1mb.gif

It's not uncommon. Videogame streamers, drag queens. They're all at it.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I really like Mike and was thinking of sharing this here too. He specifically makes time to mention that his experience proves nothing due to the fact it's limited by out of stock products and the limit of the supermarkets in his area - which is exactly the kind of insight Jack lacks in her crowing on twitter. But Comparing a dozen supermarkets is a lot more thorough and was really interesting to watch.

His limited budget food challenges - where he also makes specific mention that they are *not* to show that living on a budget is easy, rather that it's quite hard - are also really interesting and creative. The food he manages to come up with for, say £1 for a day or £2 per 2 days, focusing on variety, taste, and adequate portion/nutrition often look really good.

Also, despite making and tasting a lot of vegan food, admits he's just a curious omnivore. No 90% vegan bs. Bit of a tangent, but it quite starkly contrasts many qualities Jack should have but lacks.
Another Atomic Shrimp fan here 👋🏻

Reactions: 12
Anecdata incoming! Change of plan this morning so I found myself with time to go to small Asda.
I got bosh! nutritional yeast for rollback £2.50 this is the cheapest I’ve ever seen for any brand at any store
I got a net of mini babybels (I’m about 20%vegan) £1, cheapest I’ve seen in months
I think my loaf was up 5p
I forgot to look at rice prices as I had no need to go down that aisle
I heard a man telling his partner that the biscuits cost 10p less at the big Asda
In conclusion, my asda Shop was cheaper than one or two years ago, dm me your deets if you want to be in my working group, I will definitely try to do GDPR on them

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 84
Too true.

Remember that not once did she like or comment on Marcus and Tom’s weekly Instagram recipes for Full Time Meals.

Nada, zilch, nothing, radio silence, no AMPLIFICATION there Ninnies. Probably because she wasn’t involved (and no money in it for her) despite her frequent pronouncements that she was working ‘behind the scenes’ on the project…she inferred as much to that squig who mentioned Marcus yesterday.
and the Hatie Kopkins payout
And the kickstarter

Reactions: 26
I also think it's a two fingers in the air to whoever she feels has wronged her - whether that's her old workplace, parents, former partners.

• Sad
Reactions: 42
She thinks she IS poor because her most recent relationships have been with very successful, wealthy, hardworking people, so she thinks she should have the economic cushion that they have. While not understanding how to make money from working, and being too arrogant to consider taking time to learn a skill.

Also, she may possibly overidentify with her foster siblings having been (presumably) told at an early age that she should feel very sorry for them because they are from poor backgrounds. Just speculation, Your Honour!

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.