Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cucumberthunder

VIP Member
Would any more learned and experienced fraus be interested in compiling a #JMEI (Jack Monroe Earnings Index) to work out how much money she has made over the last 10 years (remembering that for a chunk of them she lived with very well of partners and I assume had v low outgoings)

Kickstarter - £68k
Hellmann's " 5 figure deal" - £12k being conservative?
Del Monte - ? But I assume similar, or more actually as they gave £10k to charity. So maybe £20k?
Netflix - they aren't short a bob or two - £10k?
DKL - no idea!
126 articles and recipes for the guardian (I counted) - £250 each (? No idea) £31,500
18 months of Patreon - let's call it £1k a month ( v conservative, I suspect someone may have a more accurate figure) £18k

So that's £160k before the book deal, website, other appearances etc. Plus fumbled deals like sainsburys and Linda McCartney. And all of the things I've forgotten

I wouldn't be surprised if she's been earning well over 40k a year - a reasonable amount (although if she'd got her act together it could've been a lot more imo) and she definitely shouldn't be pleading poverty.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 73

Flash123

VIP Member
4C1DAB2C-C6EA-4F8F-A320-DD8C8445FEC8.jpeg

Rice-Bag Accountant (blue squigg) still sticking by his sensible opinion. I hope he takes an interest in the cherry picked index if Jack actually does release something. I think he likes number facts. Hopefully tax facts too when that Glorious day comes.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 72

BeautifulTrauma

VIP Member
Can we all just agree at this point that the toothpaste guy doesn’t exist?
I find it fascinating how his story (the way she worded it) was that a long time ago he ate toothpaste, but apparently he’s in need now of food, yet she won’t let anyone else help him but her because she is a twat. Or he doesn’t exist, like the receipts.

In fact, I never seem to see stories under her comments like the ones she talks about. They all go in the mystical DM folder apparently for her to recycle as her own stories.

• Heart
  • Sad

BlendedSlop

VIP Member
Jack loves to marginalise people. She described public transport users as smelly, Aldi and Lidl are not posh enough for her plus she'd have to mix with the proles, she is racist, classist and weirdly scathing of anyone suffering from an addiction despite allegedly doing so herself. She regularly shows her contempt for people in poverty and sees herself as above them.
BiB: this exactly. I've posted this before, but this quote from one of her early interviews is telling and probably closer to her actual, unfiltered views of the people she claims to dedicate her life's work to.

Screenshot_20220123-123812_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Angry
  • Wow

blurstoftimes

VIP Member
i see she’s using words like ‘our’ and ‘we’ when talking about people with very little. of course all poor people have at least once stayed in a london aparthotel for 16 weeks of rehab, right?

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 71
asda.png

Seems like she just had a problem with what her local shop had in stock. I mean, I guess 'Local Asda out of vegetable stock cubes and pasta' should be headline news I guess.

• Haha
  • Wow

MooBelle

VIP Member
Lads, calm yourselves. I know she is infuriating but we have to get through this
She has to rise before she can fall.
The higher she climbs, the giddier she becomes. Then she'll do something stupid and her lies will be all the more public. She'll face questioning from people who actually know what they're talking about and it will start an avalanche of backlash against her.
She's publicly named and shamed supermarkets and they really won't like that. They will have a response and it will be well researched by people who actually know what they are talking about.
Oh and it will definitely be the taxman or taxmanlady that brings her down. She'll either get in serious poo for not filing and face public scrutiny for it or she will file and the lies about how much she earns will be made public.
We just have to wait.

• Heart

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
It’s always fascinating to see her in action, a real Walter Mitty. It’s like watching someone you know fall in love with a 21 year old Bar Man in Turkey, utterly see-through and manipulative but nothing you can do to convince them.

• Haha
  • Heart

linzilou

im sorry to jump in...i only pop in and out of reading this thread occasionally, so sorry if its been repeated.

but what is she talking about? does she think the government are going to take a look at her receipts and tip the economic world on its head because of her?

her figures are all over the place, tesco is the same price or cheaper for the things she is naming- rice, bread, baked beans.

since she has been involved in soooooooooooooooooooooo many government reports, surely she must know about statistical integrity? surely she has played around with spss?
Because i will guarantee that her data will come back as unreliable, biased, and fail in a normality test. And therefor unusable, unpublishable and no academic would be interested in it.

she has said the way that inflation is measured is flawed, but this is so unbelieveably flawed that its making me angry. she cannot measure cost of living based on sainsburys alone. all the hours she is wasting, she could just write them a nice letter-

Hi sainsburys, your prices have gone up.

Thanks Jack, we are aware.

To do what she wants (or i think she wants) isnt really possible. She would need the prices for each of the supermarkets last year, and this year, and account for the "local" versions which are always more expensive. And then what? I dont know- possibly a comparison of food bank usage to postcode, to which supermarkets are available. Thats the only way you could prove statistically that inflation hits poorer areas the hardest using supermarket data.

But thats a very statistic heavy analysis which she simply isnt capable of.

• Heart

Whisperer

Long-time lurker of these threads. She is so disingenuous with what she is doing. I can't believe she has signed off and think it is okay to have that as a front-page cover.

Anyway, after my shift today I went to Asda, and lo and behold they had rice at 45p, pasta at 29p, and spaghetti at 20p.
I wish she would stop cosplaying poverty. Like many on these threads, I grew up in poverty and I work as a nurse in a hospital in a very deprived area. She has no clue whatsoever.

• Heart

dinosaursideways

I'm sure others have more eloquently said this already, I'm feeling a bit too frustrated to even catch up properly, but - what does anything of this achieve?!?!? What does being able to demonstrate what prices have changed DO?! How does this help anyone?! All it's doing is giving one person attention and money, and giving a load of other people the chance to pat themselves on the back and feel like they've done something but....they haven't?! Nothing's happened?!

'Awareness' doesn't effect systemic or structural change. Maybe a boost to Trussell Trust et al. donations is a short-term positive but, none of that actually does anything upstream, and the awareness is just endless bleating of OMG NOW I KNOW THIS IS A PROBLEM. Okay good for you but, the government regularly acknowledges the social injustices and inequality and deprivation that many people in this country face, that health and social care (and police...and so on) and the third sector are flailing in the face of. It's not a secret. Its spelled out in any number of reports and briefings and enquiries and even bloody inquests and ITV documentaries and so on. The people living it know it, the people living and working adjacent to it know it. Its not hidden or unknown. But it persists, and creating a new deprivation index ISN'T GOING TO DO ANYTHING. Dear Jack, stop raising awareness of JM and DO SOMETHING.

• Heart

Cucumberthunder

VIP Member
I bet she gets lots of challenges like we've been suggesting - "what about school uniforms?" "Not everyone has kids" "you don't need meat and it's too expensive" "my grandma would feed the whole family with the leftovers from the Sunday roast" "I buy in bulk" "not everyone can do that" "I grow chard in my garden" "some people don't have time to garden" "not everyone knows how to cook, you need to include ready meals" "not everyone loves near an ASDA" "my kid is allergic to peanuts, he might have a reaction if you include peanut butter" "I don't eat chocolate" "poor people deserve a treat"

It'll end up so cumbersome it'll be useless on an individual scale (and maybe some people will realise why the CPI is like it is).

I do have an idea she could use but I'm keeping shtum because I don't want her to nab it.

Also I did some searching online abd a couple of the red tops have done before/after pandemic prices of some items and there were some that went up, some down with the overall basket marginally cheaper... Imagine that!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70