Jack Monroe #242 Sell the Burberry jacket, pay your taxes and polish your spoons.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I see that James O'Brien of LBC has spotted the thread.

Mind you he spent quite some time promoting the paedophile Carl Beech

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
From reading the breakdown she seems angry that the price of rice is rising?

Not to mention everything else.

To be honest I would fight the same corner as that man that healthy food should be cheaper and more commercially available.

Also everything she cooks is mixed together.

A basic meal of jacket potato and beans with a smattering of cheese would be cheap.

She adds a collection of random ingredients and boils them alive or mixes then to hell and then says job done.

Also all the value ranges have gotten names to stop the stigma of people buying a trolly of blue and white stripes.

I live close to a medium sized Tesco's and it'a "value range" is quite good, not too mention the club card savings. The other week I struck lucky and saved 10pounds on my weekly shop.

Education is also something that needs addressing, years ago you got your money in your hand on a Friday and it was spilt amount of ways to see you out, now card and online backing you just see numbers on screen. I don't think it's the same as actually seeing the cash dwindle.

People need to be taught better budgeting and organising of their funds. She's defo not the one for this job.
Your point about education is spot on! Basic budgeting skills, how to save money shopping around etc all seems easy but if you don’t know you don’t know. Go back to basics -teach older kids the basics. Get them into the habit of checking their spending, learn the difference between needs and wants. Money is so abstract these days - bop a card and off you go.

Reactions: 33
Surely a supermarket must reply (indirectly) to call out her 12 year old manipulates figures and facts to discredit them?

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I was BUSY and she’s invoking the accountants?!

You don’t employ an accountant Jack - you engage one. And they have probably sacked you off for being AWFUL.

She’s so stupid and she waves some fake numbers around. And they all retweet her! Are they doing this to wind us up? Where is Dr Hannah Fry to explain the CPI?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
she later says, in a softball response to being asked whether a different index measure would be more appropriate (coz she couldn't do the supply chain and margins chat lol) "I do think the price index should be based on different incomes (what?)...rather than this vague generalized figure that takes lamb and champagne into account but not y'know the basics like pasta and canned soup and y'know bread and other um.. oh apples was on my list yesterday! and mushrooms. this isnt, y'know, ingredients for a good old jolly knees up (again WHAT) it's the absolute staples you need to construct some basic healthy meals."

i'm grunking cos I'M BUSY, but i just had a can of minty lamb soup for lunch, so i need to know if that constitutes a jolly good knees up or a basic meal, according to jack

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Education is also something that needs addressing, years ago you got your money in your hand on a Friday and it was spilt amount of ways to see you out, now card and online backing you just see numbers on screen. I don't think it's the same as actually seeing the cash dwindle.
This is so true - my Niece is 14, if I give her a £20 note she will not spend it, she doesn't want to break it - that means a lot to her, having a £20 note and seeing it split even if she spends 50p makes her wince. If I put £20 in her bank, she will happily wazz through it on shite from Shein without blinking an eye!

• Heart
Reactions: 39
The issue I have is that Jack is partially correct in how food price and heating costs hits the lowest paid disproportionately BUT because her food price examples are WRONG and easily disproved that will be the defence from anyone with half a brain who wishes to counter her argument

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 54
Surely a supermarket must reply (indirectly) to call out her 12 year old manipulates figures and facts to discredit them?
No one calls her out for anything. Ever.

If it hadn’t been for her little appearance on here I would actually start to wonder whether she actually existed.

It is more baffling than how they let the final series of GoT through*

* not that I have watched it- I heard a dragon dies.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
The issue I have is that Jack is partially correct in how food price and heating costs hits the lowest paid disproportionately BUT because her food price examples are WRONG and easily disproved that will be the defence from anyone with half a brain who wishes to counter her argument
A good point poorly made is no point at all (a bit like Jack really, no point to her at all)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
I feel like i’m going insane. It’s like the emperor’s new clothes, the products aren’t the same!!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 62
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.