Jack Monroe #242 Sell the Burberry jacket, pay your taxes and polish your spoons.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just listening to her segment again, truly so confusing (as ever.) They introduce her point of view as the statistical number of the CPI going up/down does not truly reflect the monetary impact on tight budgets (which, agree - statistics make sense of a complex world but don't tell a good a story as the cost of a basket of shopping this year vs last.)

However according to Jack this isn't her point of view - her point of view is the CPI is wrong (economists, mathematicians, social scientists weep) because it includes things like Lamb and Champagne (which everyday people aren't putting in their baskets.)

So her POV becomes ever MORE redundant as yes the CPI includes lamb...but it also includes beef and veal, pork, goat, poultry, edible offal, dried salted or smoked meat, and "other meat preparations."

As for alcoholic beverages, the CPI does not list champagne as an individual division, it would have to be included as "wine from grapes" if anything I guess. The other alcoholic beverages are spirits, wine, wine from grapes (as mentioned) wine from other fruits, fortified wines, beer, lager beer, and "other alcoholic beverages."

So what is her point on this?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 58
Morning Cabal.

Please accept my apologies for yesterday.
I thought I had become immune to Jack's fuckery but she found a chink in my armour.
I had convulsions after my Brain tumour treatment and her being so blasé about it made me flip.
Again, apologies.

• Heart
Reactions: 95
“It feels a bit trite….” But I’ll do it anyway as I need the dopamine rush of people gushing over my awful kitchen.

The fact she believes she’s some modern day Mary Poppins is actually the funniest part, when all’s said and done, we always know Jack is Jack and she will be caught out in a lie. Hopefully on a national scale this time.
she always does this when one of her food poverty tweets go viral! She can't help but take advantage of the brief attention in that moment, she's desperate for people to pay attention to her for her quirky personality rather than the repetitive crap she spouts.

re: the rag rug kitchen...i'm genuinely speechless and slightly nauseated

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Those apocathery drawers wouldn't have been cheap. (I actually quite like them but agree they take too much space in yet kitchen to be practical.

Reactions: 30
Does anyone actually listen to this radio station though? Today will be the most listeners they've ever had!
Times Radio is my husband's favourite radio station. He listens to it on the app so he can take it from room to room. I do not like Times Radio.

Unfortunately he is at WORK where they favour Magic FM so he couldnt listen.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Value ranges are not rising in price.

Supermarkets are not discontinuing value ranges, if anything they're expanding them more and more to compete with the budget ones!
Apologies if someone has already made this point, but I’ve noticed that basically all supermarkets have rebranded their Basics/Value ranges, possibly to remove the stigma that says THIS IS THE BASICS RANGE.

Taking Sainsbury’s as an example. These (attached) all used to be from their Basics range and used to be in distinctive “no frills” white and orange packaging. Now you would have no idea they were all formerly Basics items.

So when Jack does her annual takedown of supermarket value ranges, how does she track them down when they aren’t easily searchable anymore? Or… does she search for “Basics”, fail to find anything, and deduce that it’s discontinued?

I really, really doubt that she’s carefully cross-referencing House 247 vs Lovetts vs Hubbard’s Foodstore vs Mary Ann’s Dairy, and then doing the same for Asda and Tesco. That would take a lot of time and work, and as we all know, Jack would rather spend her time tweeting and endlessly moving hoarded crap around her house.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 57
All those head pats from Twitter are nauseating.
Tom Kerridge and Marcus Rashford don’t fawn like this for attention and both of them had hard times in their youth - Marcus especially. Marcus is also doing actual activism. She’s pissing about on Twitter and comparing prices.

Loling at Martin Lewis - wonder if Peston is thinking ‘not bloody likely’
Wonder if Peston has texted ML after that… “hahahaha thanks head. No chance”

• Haha
Reactions: 46
3.5 million people have read the thread - how is that worked out?
Sorry guys being boring again lol - guessing she’s using impressions as that’ll be the largest number but that doesn’t necessarily mean unique users seeing it. Doesn’t even mean it’s been read as people scroll and +1 goes on the impressions counter even if only a slither of the tweet is visible anyway. Also very, very few people will go “below the fold” (one scroll) it’d be most accurate to use reach (a unique count of accounts viewing) on the bottom tweet. But it’d be in the 100s of thousands so not as an effective bat call to brands to partner with her.

I love that you guys are doing a live view along ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I think the cluttered chaos kitchen is an effort to recreate the Allegra years. The more minimalist early Jan tidy was the LJC look.

Yesterday’s performance was ridiculous . All the talk of forensic analysis and mindless virtue signalling from blue tickers, thoughtless and inaccurate. Peanut butter for another example, how big a jar? Tesco have some for 25p/100g Sunpat upwards of 62p/100g, other brands way north of that. Tesco’s cheapest price matches Aldi but isn’t labelled value, it’s called Stockwell & Co.

As others have said, it’s the basics and value terms that have been reduced, not the cheaper offerings. No doubt some items have increased, but nowhere near to the degrees she’s punting.

cross posted @maytoseptember 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 48
"When I WAS living in poverty I ate so much rice I didn't want to look at it again for a very very long time."

Hear that squigs? WAS. Was living in poverty. Past tense. Don't give her money.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
Morning Cabal.

Please accept my apologies for yesterday.
I thought I had become immune to Jack's fuckery but she found a chink in my armour.
I had convulsions after my Brain tumour treatment and her being so blasé about it made me flip.
Again, apologies.
No need to apologise Xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 27
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
Sorry guys being boring again lol - guessing she’s using impressions as that’ll be the largest number but that doesn’t necessarily mean unique users seeing it. Doesn’t even mean it’s been read as people
The average person scrolls 20 double deckers on social media a day (or something like that 🤡) I don't think tweet impressions really count for much.

I'm sure twitter manipulates people like jack with a reasonable sized audience to give them a viral tweet every so often. To get those endorphins and keep them on the platform ever posting hoping to get another high.

• Wow
Reactions: 40
The average person scrolls 20 double deckers on social media a day (or something like that 🤡) I don't think tweet impressions really count for much.

I'm sure twitter manipulates people like jack with a reasonable sized audience to give them a viral tweet every so often. To get those endorphins and keep them on the platform ever posting hoping to get another high.
tit, really?! 😬

Yeah it’s all a bit black mirror. I know that gets said a lot but it’s always the lofty big heads who think they’re above being manipulated when she so clearly is.

I feel like you’re giving her the answers here. Please stop making good points until after she’s written her homework!
Well if she's going to make a hash if it Id rather she had actually thought things through. She has not got half of the info she needs to argue her case. I'm embarrassed for her. Its like the recurring dream I have where I am back at uni and an forgotten to hand in a vital piece of coursework.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.