Jack Monroe #242 Sell the Burberry jacket, pay your taxes and polish your spoons.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Couldn't afford milk, but asked a café owner to put 6 spoons of sugar in her tea as it is the only calories she would have that day. How much is a cup of tea in a café? Not embarrassed to ask a café owner for six sugars, but family and friends must never know she is struggling as it is embarrassing.

I don't know why I try to make sense of it all, it is just exaggerated drivel.

But...but...she says she asked someone at the foodbank to give her 6 sugars as she wouldn't have any other calories that day. But if she was at the foodbank....surely she would be collecting...food???

ETA: Sorry @MancBee, I don't want to sound like a mithering ninny!

Also, I am fortunate enough to have never needed a foodbank, but if there are cafes there for people who aren't able to collect food (as I know it is limited in terms of the times you can visit) in between, then I apologise!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Oh she's being such a terror.

We had periods of financial instability when I was a child. I don't equate it to poverty because it wasn't. It's not poverty when you have a way out, and especially not when you choose not to take said way out like Jack.

Good parents will do anything they can to keep their child safe, warm, fed, happy and healthy. That doesn't mean that not being able to give your kid one (or all!) those things makes you a bad parent; on the contrary. But denying your child that safety, food etc. because of your pride is beyond the pale.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
But...but...she says she asked someone at the foodbank to give her 6 sugars as she wouldn't have any other calories that day. But if she was at the foodbank....surely she would be collecting...food???

ETA: Sorry @MancBee, I don't want to sound like a mithering ninny!
My thoughts exactly!
Before we moved we had a food bank at the top of the road. I'd drop good there every few weeks and they always had cake, biscuits etc out for visitors.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I'm pages behind (been BUSY in my PAYE job) but hello there Jack!
I stand by my comment of today - it's school age politics & economics. Would you prefer I said sixth form, or is that hurtful as you didn't get enough GCSEs?
And the cutting of prices isn't the answer as it impacts the farmers, pickers, manufacturing plants, drivers, supermarket staff.
Grow up will you.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Oh she's being such a terror.

We had periods of financial instability when I was a child. I don't equate it to poverty because it wasn't. It's not poverty when you have a way out, and especially not when you choose not to take said way out like Jack.

Good parents will do anything they can to keep their child safe, warm, fed, happy and healthy. That doesn't mean that not being able to give your kid one (or all!) those things makes you a bad parent; on the contrary. But denying your child that safety, food etc. because of your pride is beyond the pale.
For that alone, Jack should forever feel ashamed. Putting herself before the wellbeing of her child. Despicable (if it were true)

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Oh I hadn’t spotted that Stylist featured her thread in their stories on Instagram today 🤢

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
How can she have 'literal receipts' from 10 years, when they're printed on thermal paper and last a max of about 1-5 years IF stored properly (we know she's not got expertise in this area.)
So I guess she has them scanned on to her laptop, except... Oh. No, that was stolen. So maybe they're saved onto her cloud... But... Oh, no didn't she lose her actual book draft because she hadn't backed anything up?

.... Odd 🤔
She has boxes and boxes of little bits of blank paper, which may well well have been receipts, once

• Haha
Reactions: 38
This is going so fast, maybe too early for a thread title but "But at my supermarket these are the prices!!!"

When this bubble has died down there are many journalists that may want to look into her grifting and lies - maybe the troll accounts have already been nudging.

Her actions will not change things when it's peppered with lies and it's people in the government that can only bring about the changes.

Also, all those illnesses and no PIP nor effect on daily living - not helping!!!

ETA - write to your MP, more luck getting somewhere than a narc on a high

Reactions: 34
For that alone, Jack should forever feel ashamed. Putting herself before the wellbeing of her child. Despicable (if it were true)
Sadly I believe out of the whole sorry mess of her backstory that particular element is true.
I never understand why here is the only place to question why she chose not to avail herself of the help on her doorstep. She has made her family and her son's dad look terrible people.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Catching up after a busy day at work so apologies if this has been said already: her 10m views and retweets from celebs are based on her local supermarket alone? That’s her RESEARCH? Oh how the mighty will fall.

Isn’t it funny how we all KNOW of Hugh Grant questioned her she wouldn’t get narky with him the way she does with the people who are sending money to her PayPal?

• Haha
Reactions: 45
Idk how she can be so vile and blasé, the calibre of candidates for that job will be absolute 🔥🔥🔥 not some tit thicko like her? These publications and data journalists are creating industry/practice leading content and it’s upsetting to see them being spoken to so poorly and lambasted with highly triggering threads.
I would actually pay to read some of her articles if she were to be given a trial probationary period as Economics lead writer for the FT. Can you just imagine. 😂 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 45
And that says it all. Jack doesn't understand anyone's job, or qualifications and experience that would be needed to do it. She has no clue as to the complexities involved in following a real career.

"Economics lead writer, I can do that, piece of piss."

Jack, you are not a genius, you do not have unrivalled abilities Ya Prune.
an old acquaintance from school writes for Reuters on economics, surprisingly he has an economics degree

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
When I logged into fb and saw Jack tweets being shared as essential reading, I knew there had been a chaos. Off I go to grunk

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.