Jack Monroe #242 Sell the Burberry jacket, pay your taxes and polish your spoons.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was all this really just an excuse to rehash the 'I was on benefits for a year in my early 20s'* tale of woe?? It's 2022 now Jack ffs get a grip. Grow up.

*hardly unusual

• Haha
Reactions: 52
Why would you nibble on a stock cube? It would do nothing to stave off hunger.

As I said, we were poor growing up, my Nan lived opposite the school gate, so we would go there for lunch. Often it was an OXO cube dissolved in boiling water with a slice of bread. Now that staved off hunger.
I still have bovril / oxo cube drink because its an excellent way to boost isotonics after weight lifting.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Chris don’t you dare piss on her (smart price) chips! Imagine taking on the financial editor of the FT. Talk about delusional.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Indeed, that's what I do (although I'm by no means poor and would never claim to be).

It's why my tins cupboards looks, as my mum put it, "as if you're preparing for a nuclear war".
Babe, same.
I’m grunking and new pages are appearing every time I refresh, I can FEEL the chaos! Can’t believe we’ve hit arseholery so quickly. I expect to see Cooper very soon.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
I just can't fathom letting your child go hungry when all you had to do was ask family /dad of child for help.

But even that doesn't hold up because surely child would be spending time with dad anyway and if it was that dire then dad would of kept child with him.

Just thinking outloud obviously

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Babe, same.
I’m grunking and new pages are appearing every time I refresh, I can FEEL the chaos! Can’t believe we’ve hit arseholery so quickly. I expect to see Cooper very soon.
Same,but I also have 2 children with autism and one also has ARFID so I have to keep certain things stocked.

Zombie apocalypse come out me bro 💅💪

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Couldn't afford milk, but asked a café owner to put 6 spoons of sugar in her tea as it is the only calories she would have that day. How much is a cup of tea in a café? Not embarrassed to ask a café owner for six sugars, but family and friends must never know she is struggling as it is embarrassing.

I don't know why I try to make sense of it all, it is just exaggerated drivel.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Has she done the broccoli pasta recipe yet for the poors? She promised 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Couldn't afford milk, but asked a café owner to put 6 spoons of sugar in her tea as it is the only calories she would have that day. How much is a cup of tea in a café? Not embarrassed to ask a café owner for six sugars, but family and friends must never know she is struggling as it is embarrassing.

I don't know why I try to make sense of it all, it is just exaggerated drivel.
A variation of this happened in Angela's Ashes.

Frank, his siblings and his Mother trail around NYC asking bars for bottles of sugary water for the twins.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 32
She always has to caveat her increasingly passive aggressive, defensive arguments with some sort of personal woe.

‘I haven’t slept a wink, Chris. I was up all night turning my kitchen into a sarcophagus of hell.’
Bookmark 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.