Jack Monroe #242 Sell the Burberry jacket, pay your taxes and polish your spoons.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A large potato is 30p. A tin of beans is ~20p for a non branded one. Cheese can be a bit more, but it keeps okay and you get a lot of servings. So assuming half a tin of beans is a serving then you're looking at about 60p a serving for that.

And as I've said before, pasta is about £1 per kg, at most (unless you're buying organic fresh pasta, but why would you if you're short of cash). That's 10p per serving if you eat 100g at a time (most recipes say 75g, FWIW). Tinned tomatoes are 50p for the level above the value ones and a tin is enough for two servings. Same point about cheese as above. Now just pasta and tinned tomatoes is a bit bland, but herbs aren't expensive and neither really are mushrooms and even bacon.

Compete coincidence that I happen to have bacon mushroom and tinned tomato pasta for dinner today.
Call the onion police where are the shallots

• Haha
Reactions: 34
@hollowhusk I hear you. She creates so much potential for harm with the health stuff. If she puts one person off getting help for a seizure by giving the impression that it's something you go and have a lie-down over, that is one person too many. If one line manager penalises someone for not coming into work/going to get checked out for having a seizure, because a public figure implied that it was NBD, then that's one person too many.
Rinse and repeat for all of Jack's many ailments.

All part and parcel of the utter lack of professionalism or sense of personal responsibility we see in the 'campaigning' (nonsensical figures, no understanding of the socio-political context or basic maths), the way she interacts with Patreons, the way she speaks to people who somehow want her to work with them, just no understanding of her position, her influence and how she impacts on other people. No ability to think things through to their logical conclusion. She's dangerous, presenting her opinions as though they are professional advice. If her house isn't insured you can bet she doesn't have any public liability insurance or professional indemnity insurance for the rubbish she spouts, and calls 'work'.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 41
I have regained my composure and taken my old mum's advice. Getting upset over bad people only hurts you not them. I am calm(er) now.
I had to post this. Vlad really got me this time. I won't read the past comments from you all. I know you do sterling work, each and every one of you.
Screenshot_20220120-123252_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 63
I have regained my composure and taken my old mum's advice. Getting upset over bad people only hurts you not them. I am calm(er) now.
I had to post this. Vlad really got me this time. I won't read the past comments from you all. I know you do sterling work, each and every one of you.
View attachment 1002022
Hairy Poppins lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
There's a good reason why kitchen floors are either vinyl or tiles, it's so rugs with stupid loops on them don't get food spills and crumbs and grease all over them.
ETA, and stuffed llamas and wicker baskets on top of cupboards which will also attract moisture and other cooking smells.

It looks like the poverty campaigning has been forgotten already.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 35
Of course, because she is talking about her own personal lived experience for tip jar-rattling purposes. Not actually making any credible point about pricing using recognisable research techniques, leading to FACTS. Hopefully this will now become clear to assorted blue tick should-know-betters but I won't hold my breath.

• Sad
Reactions: 33
The insight was astounding! She finished really strong with "when you don't have any money you can't go and buy food."
but you can buy £105 worth of rusty spoons and then ask for a whip round the next day, so...

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
Also, Jack is so ethnocentric. Lots of people shop at international stores which can be found in the smallest of towns now. Or they get free delivery from Amazon (and canny shoppers know where the bargains are). Jack's index is very white woman and dated. Has she heard of online shopping?

• Heart
Reactions: 57
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.