Jack Monroe #237 Cycles through personalities like a dying Terminator

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Excellent question, squig. I'm sure Jack will be along with an answer any .... minute .... now .....

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 09.41.02.png

• Haha
Reactions: 48
One of the top chefs...that might, might be potentially arguable if every other chef and food writer on the planet had been wiped out in a freak accident, with Jack and That Man being the only two left.

Besides, she's NOT A CHEF!

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Serious question though, has Jack ever addressed how the yes you can sufficiently and healthily feed your family for £20 a week stuff feeds into the ‘if you’re poor you’re just not trying hard enough’ narrative that is so prevalent in this country?

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Serious question though, has Jack ever addressed how the yes you can sufficiently and healthily feed your family for £20 a week stuff feeds into the ‘if you’re poor you’re just not trying hard enough’ narrative that is so prevalent in this country?
Yes, I believe the Bath conservatives pulled her up on it several years ago and she wrote a blog post saying HOW DARE YOU over and over again without addressing the actual point.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
It's amazing, isn't it - that she has (just about) managed to hide her highly successful, wealthy family whilst maintaining that she isn't at all privileged, never becomes less shocking. With all the chances she's had, it can only be her monumental laziness (and ineptitude) that has stopped her from becoming as wealthy as the lady in the news. To say, she ain't doing too bad anyway - nice place, comfortable life with (too) many things, and doesn't even have to work - but she could theoretically be really, really loaded. And on a related note: she has bitten her tongue about this influencer person, what are the chances that she can't quite summon the adequate bile because she knows full well that she's being bank-rolled on easy street, as we speak? She hasn't worked for...how long is it now? The house isn't free, not even close, not to mention her lifestyle. So either she's smashing through savings, or she's receiving support from say, the Government, or she's being bank-rolled by someone. Would love to know what it is - my guess is the bank of Mum and Dad.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
Yes, I believe the Bath conservatives pulled her up on it several years ago and she wrote a blog post saying HOW DARE YOU over and over again without addressing the actual point.
oh I will have to look, thanks.

It’s just so race to the bottom isn’t it?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
It's amazing, isn't it - that she has (just about) managed to hide her highly successful, wealthy family whilst maintaining that she isn't at all privileged
It's not even that she maintains that she isn't at all privileged - she actively promotes the idea that she's actually ~underprivileged~.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 61
On a grunk here and just wanted to say that I didn’t think I’d be Googling “Blippi poop” this morning but thank you for the education Tattle. One of my kids loves his videos and I know I’ll never feel right ever again.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
They did, but then apologised for being thoughtless. What enrages me is that she played the outraged card knowing that she could have actually had help. The whole issue would have been better served if someone who truly was in poverty with no way out of it, (rich parents etc) had taken them to task. It’s just another example of her Pov Queen drama. Im not in any way defending those Tory tw*ts but she is so fake it makes me sick.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
It's amazing, isn't it - that she has (just about) managed to hide her highly successful, wealthy family whilst maintaining that she isn't at all privileged, never becomes less shocking. With all the chances she's had, it can only be her monumental laziness (and ineptitude) that has stopped her from becoming as wealthy as the lady in the news. To say, she ain't doing too bad anyway - nice place, comfortable life with (too) many things, and doesn't even have to work - but she could theoretically be really, really loaded. And on a related note: she has bitten her tongue about this influencer person, what are the chances that she can't quite summon the adequate bile because she knows full well that she's being bank-rolled on easy street, as we speak? She hasn't worked for...how long is it now? The house isn't free, not even close, not to mention her lifestyle. So either she's smashing through savings, or she's receiving support from say, the Government, or she's being bank-rolled by someone. Would love to know what it is - my guess is the bank of Mum and Dad.
I'm convinced her landlady is a family member...how else would she afford the huge crappy bungalow?

Reactions: 29
I'm sorry but ....

View attachment 971126

You spend 12 hours cooking these things and before you serve you .... drain all the flavour from them? And then what? What happens with the stuff that's drained? Down the plughole? I truly do not get it.

I had to read the recipe several times to understand that what she means is you cook the very basic tomato sauce made out of these ingredients

1 small onion or a handful of diced frozen ones, 9p (90p/1.5kg, Sainsburys Basics)
6 cloves of garlic, 12p (35p/2 bulbs, avg 10 cloves each)
1 tbsp. oil (optional), 2p (£3/3l, Sainsburys sunflower or vegetable oil)
1 x 400g tin of tomatoes, 35p (35p/400g, Sainsburys Basics)
2 tbsp. tomato ketchup, 1p (45p/460g, Sainsburys Basics) WHYYYYYY? WHY, Monroe, why?
1/2 a vegetable stock cube, 2p (35p/10, Sainsburys Basics)
200ml water

... for 11.5 hours, then you add your drained tin of lentils for the last half hour. This isn't clear, because we are instructed to drain the lentils, but at no point told to add them to the dish. I guess it's implied. I believe most successful recipes imply some steps but include important details such as this

Peel the garlic cloves, halve them lengthways, and add those too. You can dice them up smaller if you like, but I personally love a soft little morsel of slowly cooked garlic melting in my mouth, a tiny nugget of soft sweet bliss, a reward for hours of cooking (even if, in this case, it is not particularly laborious, I am practically a dog, and will work for treats…)
I'm sure it's what Delia, Nigella and Mary Berry do all the time.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 42
How did the Bristol stool chart fair.

Have they discovered new content?

Who won the comp?

So many questions?

• Haha
Reactions: 28
So helpful, Jack, for all those people who have bought your book which is aimed at people too depressed to put on a pot of pasta, only to find themselves trying to track down edible rose petals and lavender flowers 🥰

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 11.26.26.png

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
Of course I totally disagree with MMH and the aspects of influencer and celebrity culture which equate success to hard work alone and totally disregard privilege. However I also think there is a kind of intellectual snobbery which makes it easy for JM and similar people on Twitter to bash MMH because she is young, not university educated, made her name from reality TV etc. Whereas they would never dream of challenging grifters or people who put out harmful commentary (I.e. on recovery!!) who are part of the media elite, I.e. fellow journalists, writers, established TV personalities.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
Oh my god. I'm just looking at that Bath conservatives riposte https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/02/17/my-ready-meal-is-none-of-your-fucking-business/ and ....

View attachment 971390

She's talking about Louisa Compton here. She's equating a TV executive who doesn't have an oven to people who don't have cooking equipment because they're living in hostels.
In this blog, Jack "exploded in cold fury" LOL

As Mary Poppins says, if wishes were horses

As my local nuclear reactor says, WHAT?

• Haha
Reactions: 27

Erm...

I had a peep at the Bristol thing and only one entry?

Was that all they got?

I feel so bad for them. That's pretty bad!

Bless em!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
So helpful, Jack, for all those people who have bought your book which is aimed at people too depressed to put on a pot of pasta, only to find themselves trying to track down edible rose petals and lavender flowers 🥰

View attachment 971449
What are these food grade edible flowers for in GFFBD may I ask?

I mean, we all have our own FFBD (good or otherwise- chocolate buttons (giant) are the best option in my humble opinion) but WHY THE F*** would you be pratting around with petals when you feel even slightly less than optimal?

You know when you just need to leave Earth, live on the space station and watch the carnage unfold from above for a while?

That.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.