Jack Monroe #235 Goggleslop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I rarely drink, in fact despite there being alcohol present at my families all Christmas I chose a cold cola/ hot drink alternative. Now I know I don't have a drink problem but there is so much more available than alcohol in most people's homes and restaurants and also if she really wants to watch what she drinks she could do that crazy thing and bring her own...
I know maverick here. I always bring a bottle to a party and I usually drink it.
Late to the party (grunking as usual) but I bring a bottle even though I do drink! Isn't it quite common for guests to take a bottle of wine/few beers to a dinner, or even a bottle of spirits to a house party? Surely you could just bring a bottle of whatever alcohol free drink you fancy in leiu of wine, she could even bring a bottle of that tea stuff she insists is so good and maybe share it around to anyone interested as I/others do with their wine/gin/whatever. Especially if you have problems with alcohol, surely a more responsible message is to take ownership of what you drink and make sure you take along non-alcoholic options you actually like, rather than running the risk that there's nothing but warm cola and thinking "oh in that case, one wine won't hurt..."

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Ah, I once delved into the jackatapinch era, when Jack was briefly the most trans person alive. Every other post was a rant about the Daily Mail.

It lasted about a month. IIRC it ended when she started the Kickstarter, and Trans Jack gave way to Severely Disabled Jack.
This was the point where I started thinking something was wrong. Iā€™d liked her up to that point, but then Allegra seemed to disappear without a word and I wondered if it was because she was trans (is non-binary the same as trans? I didnā€™t think it was, because if gender is a construct then surely we are all non-binary, really?) I thought she fully wanted to transition to trans male and thatā€™s why Allegra ended things, and I felt sorry for her AGAIN and then all that stuff started and I was, hmm, wait a minuteā€¦I actually contributed to that bleeping Kickstarter, Iā€™m so ashamed!!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 53
Lol, I remember when Alice first started showing the signs of a drink problem.
Wonder if jack would take UMBRAGE at this comparison to Alice from AMBRIDGE ?

The best fiction descent into alcoholism has to be Phil Mitchell, one day completely non problematic drinking, the next day careening around the streets with a bottle of non identifiable spirit wrapped in a brown paper bag.
Ah Phil and his legendary black hat.

Poor Alice, as if being married to that misogynistic twit Kristifer wasn't bad enough.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
The minimum she would get from patreon now is Ā£854 pm. For doing absolute nothing.
Serious question re Patroen, how do they work? Is is handing money over each month and getting something back or just handing over money and think you are supporting a struggling artiste (or a grifter like Jack) to follow their destiny albeit on your coin?

Reactions: 18
Serious question re Patroen, how do they work? Is is handing money over each month and getting something back or just handing over money and think you are supporting a struggling artiste (or a grifter like Jack) to follow their destiny albeit on your coin?
I support some newsletters on Substack with a paid subscription (not dissimilar to Patreon). I don't expect subscriber-only posts though, I think of it as financially supporting them to write. They are good writers though and don't promise what they cannot deliver!

Reactions: 28
This is spot on. In fact, I remember seeing someone comment a while back (not sure if it was here or Mumsnet) about how Jack was regarded as the pub bore at the Groucho, getting increasingly loud and drunk and holding court, boring everyone senseless. I can well imagine it.
I think sanctimonious, pontificating Jack is the absolute worst of her many ghastly iterations. How DARE she appoint herself as the expert on sobriety?? She herself has not only failed multiple times to keep off the booze (no shame in that - but it certainly doesnā€™t mean she can lecture others), but she also lied and lied and lied about it, claiming umpteen times that she was ā€œx days soberā€ when she was drinking all the time. Not to mention what was going on with the other substances. All those times when we thought she was drunk or ā€œonā€ something, the dino naps, etc. And she was claiming she was sober all the time.
Sheā€™s a liar and a hypocrite.
She's bores me drunk or sober. I have a few mates who's friends not mutual sound a bit like her, boring know it alls who actually know as much as a newborn.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
The patreon rules say that if the artiste fails to deliver, contact th m yourself or vote with your wallet and pull your sub!
I have one sub to RHLSTP which I enjoyed hours of before my benefits kicked in, it goes towards making more of them and Iā€™d happily have gone to a few IRL if I could go out, Ā£36 a year is worth it for me. Thereā€™s lads of extras you get but I donā€™t bother with those.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Just had a look at Secret Drug Addictā€™s page and couldnā€™t help but notice this tooā€¦

Jack: take note.
Jack follows this account, which has also retweeted the Neville Southall retweet šŸ˜±. This is EXCITING.

ETA she also follows Southall šŸ˜‚

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 83
I'm a tiny bit younger than Jack and until about Year 9 we did extensively use the land line to chat - ringing each other when it was the cheaper rate times. So I think for once this is pretty legit. Mobile phone texts were still like 10p and even to ring someone on pay as you go was expensive. Why would I waste my credit on calling a friend when we were both in our houses and could just do so on the landline!

However, as soon as MSN became a thing my parent's house phone became a Boomer only zone šŸ˜‚
Aah memories and then getting turfed off because your mum wanted to phone your auntie that wasnā€™t your auntie just your mums best friend.
Omg Jack got a lie correct praise beans šŸŽ‰.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
This was the point where I started thinking something was wrong. Iā€™d liked her up to that point, but then Allegra seemed to disappear without a word and I wondered if it was because she was trans (is non-binary the same as trans? I didnā€™t think it was, because if gender is a construct then surely we are all non-binary, really?) I thought she fully wanted to transition to trans male and thatā€™s why Allegra ended things, and I felt sorry for her AGAIN and then all that stuff started and I was, hmm, wait a minuteā€¦I actually contributed to that bleeping Kickstarter, Iā€™m so ashamed!!
Don't be ashamed. A lot of us are ex Squiggles, myself included šŸ¤¢

She is excellent at appealling to people's better nature using emotional manipulation and lies, of which she almost always only ever doubles down on. All the deleting and timeline changing make it very hard to know what is the truth and lies without the backing of a cabal's arch lever file full of evidence. The wiki page writers and all those who have trawled through Wayback, old editorials, created amazing Patreon data scrapers etc deserve investigative journo prizes tbh.

I used to get niggles of doubt about her origins when following her but honestly thought "well I can't question it as someone who, while has experienced periods of low income, grew up middle class and continues to be middle class." Turns out she's just as middle class, if not more (no range rovers or Ā£4k watches for LavaFlake) as me šŸ˜‚ But her story seems legitmate at face value to many because who would lie about such things?!

• Heart
Reactions: 58
Did you get your book or whatever you paid for ?

Reactions: 17
All I want is for the patreons to stop paying or to get something for their cash. Itā€™s the bare minimum she should do.
I wonder if there is zero chance of another book coming out, she seems to have lost all interest in food posts.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Did you get your book or whatever you paid for ?
Oh my god, eventually! There were SO MANY pity meeeee emails about the endless delays though - my favourite was how hard it was for her poorly smol hands to hand write so many addressesā€¦!! (and it was crap quality!!) I also ordered one to go in a local library but I never heard which one that might be or if it actually ever happened or she just pocketed the difference.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 69
Patreon lets the artist set different tiers of support. Some have low-level "just supporting you!" tiers but each tier has a description of what the artist promises you if you subscribe at that tier. I subscribe to one Patreon where every month I get a bit of absolutely beautiful mail that is a wonderful, happy surprise.

At the Ā£3.50+VAT tier, Jack promises:

"This tier unlocks all of the Patron-only posts, which will include a new discount code for my website at the start of every month. Discount codes are exclusive to Patrons only and will last the entire month, and will be posted as a post here on my Patreon page - so keep your eyes peeled! "

At the Ā£7+VAT tier, Jack promises the above plus 3 limited edition postcards per month. At Ā£10, weekly/monthly (location dependent) all-new recipes on high quality postcards. Ā£12, EVEN MORE POSTCARDS. Ā£24.... you guessed it........ even more postcards! If you are a high-level Jack patron and she wasn't a blatant liar, your postman would hate you. Also, signed books (that she never writes). Then finally for Ā£44, all that tit plus framed, signed prints.

So you are ostensibly paying for what the artist promises they will do based on how much you pledge. And is a prime reason these chumps should cancel their subscription (which I bet for many is just a forgotten direct debit). They'll never get any of the tit postcards. And why would you want them?

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.