Jack Monroe #23 Life would be so much easier if everyone was a chronic optimist.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It would be a very crowded dock, that’s for sure
It also very clearly illustrates why this court case WILL NEVER HAPPEN. It’s fluffy kittens over here compared to the bear pit that is Mumsnet. Plus Jack would be casting herself as an enemy of free speech (as well as monstrously vain). Just watch the blue ticks all melt away at that prospect.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
What’s confusing me about this leftover larder thing is that it doesn’t seem to have any point, Hellmanns don’t seem to be plugging it, Chetna didn’t seem to say anything about it (I see though that she has done some stories about cauli leftovers tonight), it just seems to be bizarre for them to spend money on nothing much really.
imho I think they've written it off, will let it run it's course and then banish it, never to be spoken of again. Even if they've spent 10k (and if i know anything, they would have negotiated a reduction after yesterday) it's a drop in the ocean for a failed marketing campaign for them

• Wow
Reactions: 14
I don’t know the details of the KH case so won’t comment on that but the thing that stands out in my mind is the image of JM walking in or out of court with the aid of a stick. The same JM who lugs 18L of paint in a rucksack, who jumps around of her sofa in satin pj’s (the same sofa she rarely uses because she’s too busy working) and carries a 93kg (?) sideboard by herself.

Sorry M’lord but It just doesn’t add up.
I mean it's not the same (at all m'lud) but it makes me think of those benefit fraud types who've been caught doing the conga in Benidorm but turn up to their trial in a wheelchair (or a Zimmer with tennis balls in Harvey Weinstein's case).

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Exactly. Can you imagine how busy the cps would be if they started policing daily mail comments ffs? "sorry guv, can't go and catch the crazed gunman in central. Nigel in Skegness has left a bitchy comment about Adeles weightless again--go go go!! "
@Harrybosch and I would get nothing done, not a thing

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
So I didn’t watch the live as was cooking and then family time - but I popped in a couple of times for a look see ... and saw these two things.
Classic. Jack.
I liked the glasses I thought it was a bit of fun and showed her relaxed and relatable

Reactions: 9
Has she really though? When asked about food banks all she really has to say is donate to them. I know she's done some events, but they were organised by other people. She could have done some good things, but I don't believe she cares enough about any of it and can't see her ever doing a good deed unless she broadcasts it.
I completely agree with this. She does very little in practical terms, most of it seems to be talk.
I remember a few threads back someone mentioned that she’d been nominated for a food writers’ guild award in the “inspiration” category.
The shortlist is below, and if you look at the AMAZING stuff her competitors are doing, it is frankly embarrassing that she was nominated alongside them.
Even when she was arranging to donate her books to food banks, you had to buy it first so that she got the money. It was NOT a selfless act.

Inspiration Award

Sally Brown and Kate Morris (Flavour School and My World Kitchen)
Barny Haughton (Square Food Foundation)
Jack Monroe (cookingonabootstrap.com)
Alicia Weston (Bags of Taste)
Chris Wilkie (Plan Zheroes)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
She reminds me of a girl I knew at university...I'm sure we've all met someone like that. This girl had food allergies that would change every week. Pregnancy scares, brain tumours, abusive partners...and after a time you start having doubts.

The thing about Jack is she lies about EVERYTHING. She seems incapable of telling the truth. The non-existent cough that became severe hayfever. The size of her knife collection. Carrying a sideboard FFS! Is she not totally exhausted by it all?
She’s baffling. I can understand the reasoning for some of the lies, like those relating to her finances - poverty is her USP, the lies are still wrong but I get it. If the lies were contained to career-furthering subjects then she’d just be an unethical businesswoman

It’s the fact she lies about literally everything, even to her own detriment (most recently implying Hellmann’s expected her to meet contractual obligations on BOT). I’ve known people who are full of tit, but Jack is by far the most prolific liar I’ve ever encountered. She could tell me the sky was blue and I’d have to double check

• Heart
Reactions: 19
To echo @Yel nobody should be intimidated or worried by these vague threats. It is laughable. Public commentary on stuff someone choses to put in the public domain is entirely legal. To even think you could close down discourse is absurd. Crazy. It would mean nobody could comment on Boris Johnson or Trump or any celebrity at all.

On the basis that Jack verbally denigrated Boris Johnson's morals on a live broadcast just a few hours ago - she should reflect on her plan for legal action.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
God yes. I knew somebody exactly the same. A show down with every ticket inspector, sales assistant, bar server, a row with another driver at a junction, somebody pushed in front of her in a queue etc. I believed it all until somebody gently pointed out this only EVER happened when she was alone and she barely ever didn’t arrive with a tall tale. At times I genuinely wondered why I wasn’t getting into altercations with every man who walked past me. I know men are trash and do shout at women/tell them to smile/wink at them/make sexual advances etc but according to her it happened about 10 times a day in broad daylight. And she always had a killer comeback and walked away victorious. Very much ‘needless to say, I had the last laugh.’ So strange. I wonder what’s she up to.....
Remember the boy who cried wolf? It’s a fact of life that bad/difficult things happen to people but everyone has a breaking point so JM may push away her support network and find herself in a situation where she genuinely needs them

Reactions: 11
Jack wears many hats including cook, writer, journalist and activist. She seems to want to focus on being a cook now.

So focus. She said years ago that she wanted to get more comfortable in front of the camera so she did some presenter training. She did some YouTube readings. She's been on This Morning a few times. I don't doubt live TV isn't terrifying but she knows what she's getting herself into. I didn't watch all the facebook live tonight but the bits I saw I felt she was best when she did the Q&A on her own as it was more her comfort zone. She has admitted that she can't cook and talk so why continue. There are so many other foodies who are doing it well and seemingly effortless that Jack should see that the nervous edge is really off-putting. When you're a professional it's not cute or endearing to keep saying you're nervous or not prepared. I'm nervous in my job sometimes but you do it and don't show it. And if it makes you feel like that then change jobs. I really think with a different approach she could really appeal. A prerecorded video cooking one of her recipes and maybe using substitutions? What about setting a £50 budget on a Monday with a shopping list and cooking meals all week - doesn't have to be videos, just a recipe to show how you can use all your food? Use recipes from your books for meals for Monday-Friday. Treat days? Fakeaways? Find the enjoyment of food and cooking it for your family and friends. It doesn't matter if you're not poor now. You don't have to be. You know what it's like and people understand that. Find your strength of which you have many and go with that.

Sorry for the long post. Had to get it out.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
She’s baffling. I can understand the reasoning for some of the lies, like those relating to her finances - poverty is her USP, the lies are still wrong but I get it. If the lies were contained to career-furthering subjects then she’d just be an unethical businesswoman

It’s the fact she lies about literally everything, even to her own detriment (most recently implying Hellmann’s expected her to meet contractual obligations on BOT). I’ve known people who are full of tit, but Jack is by far the most prolific liar I’ve ever encountered. She could tell me the sky was blue and I’d have to double check
JM would get on well with a sister of mine. They could swap lies and fantasy lives😡

• Sad
Reactions: 5
In happier news, I made Cacio de Pepe for dinner tonight. Not a rinsed spaghetti hoop in sight.
I was surprised to see JM’s rinsed spaghetti hoop abomination in this month’s Good Food mag :sick:

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
I tried to have a cheeky peek on IG at 5pm but it was running late so I had a look for Alexis and followed her (see, you fab chefs are rubbing off on me! Not literally though, there’s a law against that kind of thing 😉) but when I went back to JM, I saw that Alexis follows her. Maybe she has for some time, or maybe she’s following her to ‘keep an eye’ or maybe whatever JM said in her DM, Alexis was fine with it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
She has/had a very patient fiance by all accounts who still seems to support on social media. Has two parents who appear to dote on her and have given her a want-for-nothing childhood. She has a child who she is able to raise with an ex partner who she herself describes as being "excellent." she has a number of very devoted fans who seem to genuinely care for her and give her nothing but praise, and has very understanding PR and management who somehow see through through the whole 'chaotic' shtick and have provided endless tech support...
I don't think it's a case of her having no support at all, more just that she isn't open to accepting it. She's a victim. Or wants to sell herself as one.
Speaking of the fiancée, I notice that Louisa’s Insta has shared that one of her C4 shows has been nominated for a BAFTA. But Jack doesn’t appear to have commented or even liked it.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.