Jack Monroe #219 Why you sob? Russell Hobb

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you were craving chocolate cake (and if you were skint, which I always assume is one of the requirements when having to consult one of Jack's 'recipes') surely you would A) buy a wee cheap cake for £1 or so, or B) buy a packet mix cake for a similar price.

That recipe is one of pure desperation and I don't mean moneywise, I mean stranded on a desert island and the only way to get off it is Mary Berry herself (rip) has demanded you produce a baked good out of those particular ingredients
LJC, I just had to google ‘is Mary berry still alive?’ I’m pleased to say she is, although she might not survive tonight’s baked goods if she happens upon them.

• Haha
Reactions: 50
Fraus I sob, my kettle is a Russell Hobbs 😭 . The next one won't be.
Me too 😱. However, it's stainless steel so, despite my actually diagnosed dyspaxia, so hard to break. Again, the next one won't be as RH are joining the boycott list along with Del Monte, Helmanns, LMcC and Nestlé (the last for very many non-Jack reasons).

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Hello lovely fraus. I used to comment occasionally during the heady days of DKL and her live appearance on this thread. Was furloughed at the time then gave up my account when I went back to work as I have no will power and this place is too funny and I was spending far too much time here!

Anyway I created a new account as I missed the mithering ninnies of the cabal. Couldn't resist coming on to say thank(space)you to @BeautifulTrauma for tonight's cookalong and I hope the prune smell goes away soon.

And also to say that Mushroom Rogan Josh recipe has me gobsmacked - 200g of mushrooms, 1 tin of tomatoes and two onions - serves effing FOUR? How does she get away with this bollocks. Isn't the entire recipe is like 250 calories or am I just missing something?

• Heart
Reactions: 79
Me too 😱. However, it's stainless steel so, despite my actually diagnosed dyspaxia, so hard to break. Again, the next one won't be as RH are joining the boycott list along with Del Monte, Helmanns, LMcC and Nestlé (the last for very many non-Jack reasons).
I have dyspraxia too and never broke a kettle by smashing it, now dry boiling it yes.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Thank space YOU for the evidence based chaos that proves Jack’s recipes are literal shite. Thought it would be sloppier than that but maybe I assumed prunes would get more liquidy. I’m sorry your house now smells of prunes and has been sacrificed.

Anyone craving actual chocolate goodies in a small portion look up Nigella’s emergency brownies which will definitely sort out one greedy goblin or two ordinary people.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
LJC, I just had to google ‘is Mary berry still alive?’ I’m pleased to say she is, although she might not survive tonight’s baked goods if she happens upon them.
Gotcha! Have to keep the cabal on their toes (it's what Viv would've wanted)

• Haha
Reactions: 31
And also to say that Mushroom Rogan Josh recipe has me gobsmacked - 200g of mushrooms, 1 tin of tomatoes and two onions - serves effing FOUR? How does she get away with this bollocks. Isn't the entire recipe is like 250 calories or am I just missing something?
I totalled up the calories on Nutracheck (as it's a UK website). Minus the couple of pinches of spices, in total, the curry comes to 629 calories - between four people it's 157 calories each (minus rice/breads). This is supposed to sustain people living in poverty :mad:

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 61
I totalled up the calories on Nutracheck (as it's a UK website). Minus the couple of pinches of spices, in total, the curry comes to 629 calories - between four people it's 157 calories each (minus rice/breads). This is supposed to sustain people living in poverty :mad:
And sorry for quoting myself, but I forgot to say that this doesn't take into account the available calories after digestion and absorption (i.e. with the fibre content, the body won't necessarily get 157 calories out of that).

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
She'll be snaking into Russell Slob's DMs trying to be some sort of middleman for them donating somewhere so she can get the credit for it

• Angry
She'll be snaking into Russell Slob's DMs trying to be some sort of middleman for them donating somewhere so she can get the credit for it
Wouldnt be surprised if there was angling for a matching toaster and microwave thrown in. Desperate times and all.

• Angry
Grunking but @Lanie not sure I can cope with charred sardine pasta, prune cake AND doughnut of doom in your avatar

• Haha
Reactions: 23
But…but….she’s in a meeting right now 😂

Said nobody ever at 5pm on a Saturday evening. You have to wonder what sort of rehab she’s at if this is their practise.

I think next up someone should recreate the cremated sardine spaghetti with lemon, salt, garlic and of course POBP.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.