Jack Monroe #213 Something for nothing is her USP

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think one of my favourite lines in that taxi driver tale is 'I was like her reindeer' not to mention 'she was charming' šŸ˜‚

It was just so blatently Jack I couldn't breathe for laughing.
I must be really slow as this is the first time it has occurred to me that the taxi driver was Jack! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 38
I must be really slow as this is the first time it has occurred to me that the taxi driver was Jack! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
It's because everything was moving at such a pace back then, you've only just started catching up on your 'What The Fucks?'

• Haha
Reactions: 31
It's because everything was moving at such a pace back then, you've only just started catching up on your 'What The Fucks?'
It did seem to go in such a blur at times! I remember the taxi driver being there and then they werenā€™t! Anyway itā€™s probably time to get the sprouts in the slow cooker in time for Christmas

• Haha
Reactions: 40
I will never understand why anyone leaves their Facebook account open for the whole world to see. Surely basic common sense would prevail.

Having said that, it is nice that the parents seem to have a good relationship with each other. It looks like Jack has a really good support network.
This my facebook was private as soon as i opened it. I didnt even fill in my bio apart from my date of birth. šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It did seem to go in such a blur at times! I remember the taxi driver being there and then they werenā€™t! Anyway itā€™s probably time to get the sprouts in the slow cooker in time for Christmas
Late this year? You Divil!

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I think Iā€™m genuinely more interested in the truth about Jackā€™s taxi driver than I am in what her so called ā€œlow paid part time jobā€ is. Thereā€™s a part of me that thinks it was all true. Itā€˜s just too weird yet too dull to be made up.

Ultimately thoughā€¦

D5908CD4-C7C3-4F67-85A9-1F5FBF0E74D3.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
I think Iā€™m genuinely more interested in the truth about Jackā€™s taxi driver than I am in what her so called ā€œlow paid part time jobā€ is. Thereā€™s a part of me that thinks it was all true. Itā€˜s just too weird yet too dull to be made up.

Ultimately thoughā€¦

View attachment 813281
tbf, I am too. the side characters here always leave us wanting more

love to see my work in the wild too ā¤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
tbf, I am too. the side characters here always leave us wanting more

love to see my work in the wild too ā¤
So true! Thereā€™s a high chance it was a genuine cabbie who just thought weā€™d be interested in the story, hasnā€™t thought of since, and has no idea that weā€™re still speculating months later.

Your work is iconic! I love that thereā€˜s a signed edition.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I may be recalling it wrongly but I think the ā€œsex workā€ only happened once, it was before she was a mother and she said her abusive female partner (during the pregnancy) used it against her and taunted her about it.
It was that strange article on buzzfeed where Jack later ā€œcame outā€ as being the girl in the story, there was originally a false name
Itā€™s worth revisiting that tale because itā€™s a doozy. So horrific and yet so implausible. But only a monster would ever openly suggest that Jack is lying or embellishing. Same with the ā€œsex workā€.

Jack, using the pseudonym ā€œSamā€ describes being a mere three months pregnant the first time she is raped by a female partner. So, after falling pregnant to a male colleague, within weeks sheā€™s in an established relationship with a woman, which has already progressed into severe and violent abuse? But later on in the piece, talks about ā€œLynnā€ lavishing her with attention and poetry in the early days of their relationship. Either the honeymoon phase went dark literally overnight, or things donā€™t add up.

She uses Victorian attitudes to lesbian sex to justify why she didnā€™t tell anyone (i.e. a woman canā€™t rape a woman because it ā€œdoesnā€™t countā€). She talks about feeling alienated by the language used by womenā€™s refuges, always assuming that the abuser is male (where were Jackā€™s supportive parents and/or supportive baby daddy at this time?). Friends may not have believed that Jack was being raped but surely Mum, Dad and Ex wouldnā€™t have?

The pregnancy isnā€™t referred to beyond the first line of the article. No talk of being afraid for the life of the unborn baby. Not even when Jack talks about having a knife held or her throat, or the final incident which is so ā€œviolent and extremeā€ she canā€™t talk about it. She also says that Lynn ā€stuck needles in meā€

After Sam became pregnant, she grew isolated from her friends ā€“ either, she says, because they were busy going out clubbing, or because some deemed her not a ā€œrealā€ lesbian because of the pregnancy. They did not know that Sam had previously, briefly, worked as a prostitute to try and survive financially. But Lynn knew.
So here, Jack had sex for money pre-pregnancy. And yet in the post BlendedSlop added this afternoon, it was in 2013 (which is at the height of the poverty, when her son was small, right?)

50C21293-0E77-4C0E-8B7C-F5B17DB71D5C.jpeg

Also, when she talks about SBā€™s birth (silently ripping the radiator off the wall etc) she never talks about having recently escaped an abusive relationship so violent she regularly feared for their lives? Donā€™t you think someone like Jack would want to refer to that, even if to simply express gratitude that she had her Mum and Ex looking after her again?

Two years after the Buzzfeed article she decides to mine the story again - putting her own name to it this time.

I feel grubby even dissecting all of this. Because who would even call Jack a liar here? A story so violent and frightening? And yet, knowing what I know about her, here I amā€¦ šŸ˜³

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 70
If Jack says she did sex work then she did sex work, thereā€™s no way to know if itā€™s true or not. I just wish she wouldnā€™t use offensive triggering language about it.

Reactions: 30
I feel grubby even dissecting all of this.
Thank you for sharing all these links and this comment isnā€™t a reflection on you sharing this so pls donā€™t feel bad but does anyone else find her back catalogue if #content involving pregnancy or children SO triggering? The comment regarding needles is the worst by far, the next worst being references to a hungry cold baby but both give me onset of a panic attack feelings theyā€™re such terrifying concepts? I know sheā€™d say ~thatā€™s the scary reality hun~ but duck me if an abusive childhood alumni is scared by your content maybe itā€™s just really bad to say?!?!

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Thank you for sharing all these links and this comment isnā€™t a reflection on you sharing this so pls donā€™t feel bad but does anyone else find her back catalogue if #content involving pregnancy or children SO triggering? The comment regarding needles is the worst by far, the next worst being references to a hungry cold baby but both give me onset of a panic attack feelings theyā€™re such terrifying concepts? I know sheā€™d say ~thatā€™s the scary reality hun~ but duck me if an abusive childhood alumni is scared by your content maybe itā€™s just really bad to say?!?!
It's the trauma version of her sickly, flowery over indulgent food descriptions. She does the absolute most to be hard-hitting and gritty, it leaves a bad taste (also like the food)

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Okay so the taxi driver signs up to Tattle the month after (?) Jack appears on these very threads for some unknown reason........

Then drops his Jack the cheeky little Christmas elf tale, I *think* when we were talking about how exhausting and take take take any kind of friendship with her would be....

I mean....holy coincidence Batman! šŸ˜‚ It seemed to me at the time that it was almost a direct response to what was being discussed.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Iā€™m really sorry that it upset you. But thatā€™s the thing about Jack - she seems to share these awful stories not to make something good out of it (to ā€œraise awarenessā€ or encourage women in similar situations to seek help without shame) but to shock and to self-publicise. I mean, her main income stream even now is speaking engagements in which she mines The Poverty. Such a narc move.

If Jack says she did sex work then she did sex work, thereā€™s no way to know if itā€™s true or not. I just wish she wouldnā€™t use offensive triggering language about it.
And, equally, I believe women when they say theyā€™ve been raped. Which is why, like I said, it makes me feel so grubby pointing out all the inconsistencies.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Joe Le Taxi affectionately recalls heartwarming tales but signed up after realising what a neā€™er do well Jack is. I personally had it pegged as FiremanPapa

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
Especially with her parents being registered and active foster carers at the time. How utterly crappy does her tale make them look?
There's also the claim that they essentially kept her autism diagnosis from her and did nothing to get her appropriate support - as Jack said, it was just "shut away in the box of things we don't talk about in my family." That seems at odds with the approach expected of experienced foster carers who may have been looking after children with complex needs?

Her various tales don't cover them in glory at all. But as we've all observed many times, there seems to be so much resentment towards them on her part that it's impossible to know how much of it is bullshit.

Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.