Jack Monroe #199 Just mind-bogglingly, gobsmackingly stupid

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Me too I'm afraid. I'm 45 and didn't have pasta until I was about 13 or 14. I was probably a bit of a nightmare because I became vegetarian in a staunchly meat and two veg lower middle class household.
I probably didn’t have your farfalle “pasta” until I was in double digits but if you exclude the Spaghetti Hoops I ate from the age of about two then no, I didn’t eat pasta until I was at big school.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I probably didn’t have your farfalle “pasta” until I was in double digits but if you exclude the Spaghetti Hoops I ate from the age of about two then no, I didn’t eat pasta until I was at big school.
Ah yeah to be fair I would have had tinned spaghetti hoops.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
My first born arrived the same week as Jack did in 1988. I have a beloved photo of him aged about one sitting in his high chair with spag bol all over his face, hair, hands and the high chair 😬.

Not that this proves anything but given Monrocchio's record for truth and recall I'm sceptical. First born loved spag bol, he called it persgetti.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
SB must be fizzing with excitement, it's the holibobs and he's having a wizard time doing fiendish puzzles and making complicated, expensive food with Mama. What larks, eh ☹
I recall the six week holiday flying past when I was a kid. I suspect the same will not be true for SB.

eta: Jumping on the pasta bandwagon, I'm the same age as Jack if you don't go by her data on Companies House and I remember having pasta in my pack-up at primary school around 1994 or so. And I'm from a town in North Yorkshire where anything past York is considered foreign and weird.

Seriously, is she performance art or a character, like Lorraine Kelly?

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
My first born arrived the same week as Jack did in 1988. I have a beloved photo of him aged about one sitting in his high chair with spag bol all over his face, hair, hands and the high chair 😬.

Not that this proves anything but given Monrocchio's record for truth and recall I'm sceptical. First born loved spag bol, he called it persgetti.
Yeah, I'm older than Jack and spag bol was a fave, also lasagne. My dad also made this wonderful pasta sauce which was just passata, olive oil, chunks of mozzarella and basil which I can never recreate properly even though it's dead simple. We were pretty FANCY obviously!

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I suspect that if SB really could have anything he wanted he may opt for a burger that didn't have kidney beans and carrot or eyelid sausage in it!
Right?! On the rare occasions I’ve looked after pre teens for the day it entails a trip to KFC (sorry chickens - your sacrifice noted x), desperately trying to bag a front seat on the DLR so we can do a “ride”, and when that inevitably falls short downloading some tit game that’ll send me push notifications until the day I die. What child wants this 70’s swingers party salami? Ameretto?!!

• Haha
Reactions: 65
Yeah, I'm older than Jack and spag bol was a fave, also lasagne. My dad also made this wonderful pasta sauce which was just passata, olive oil, chunks of mozzarella and basil which I can never recreate properly even though it's dead simple. We were pretty FANCY obviously!
I'm clearly old enough to Jack's mum. Spag bol, was a regular on the menu in the 70s. Mum also worked her way through all the classics of the 60s and 70s with this recipe book. Lasagne, goulash, beef strogonoff, chilli con carne etc.

51aojaYV7JL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF,BottomLeft,360,-6_...png

I might see if I can get a used copy of this from Amazon for nostalgic reasons!

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Not again. No new content. Does she think people are dim ?
Yes, absolutely x

Apologies if already been said. Am grunking and have 5 pages to catch up on - just like the old days.

Sad to see the break has done nothing for her snarkiness on the hellsite aka twitter.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
She's a liar. There were jars of pasta-based baby food in the eighties. And I don't believe her parents, busy foster carers that they were, wouldn't have slung bowls of pasta on the table. It's a saviour meal for families.

Reactions: 46
Because I clearly hate myself, I watched the entire Edinburgh Festival video on my lunch break and, LJC, it's an absolute slopmine of new (to me) information:

-The first time she applied for the fire service job (strongly encouraged by her dad) she didn't get it; she then "worked out and got fit" (not sure why she'd need to for a call handler role, but whatever), went and sat in the control room to see how the job worked (I'm sure any other applicant would have been afforded the same privilege and nepotism played no part at all!) and passed the interview with flying colours the second time. Funny, that.

-When offered her first £25k book deal, she thought to herself "That's basically my fire service salary, and all I have to do is look like I'm working for 12 months" (I see her outstanding work ethic and attitude to contractual obligations were always present).

-Even if she didn't end up writing the book, she'd still get her £8k down payment, so she signed the contract.

-Describes SB's fussy eating habits as "ridiculously embarrassing" and implies she takes them as a rejection of her life's work. Says she already goes to therapy twice a week and doesn't need a third appointment because of this.

-Describes yet another train incident whereby a group of drunk men were being loud and aggressive. Says she sat there like a quiet little mouse but if it had been on Twitter, she would have gone in with all guns blazing (paraphrasing, but the keyboard warrior admission is there).

-Describes her circle of friends as "ridiculous, feckless ready meal enthusiasts."

-Calls herself a "one woman cookery school" and in the next sentence admits she can't cook rice, which is why her books have so many risotto recipes ("All you have to do is stand and stir a pan for a really long time").

WHAT. A. WEAPON.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 84
And even a quick scan of IG shows that she has so much really talented and thoughtful competition out there - talented cooks who run supper clubs for example, who style their food beautifully, who have so much energy and enthusiasm for promoting the stuff they love and care about. It really shows up how much she is just half-arsing it and how little she knows. One of the things I hadn't noticed before becoming a dedicated follower of this thread is how warm and supportive the online food community is in general in promoting each others' work - Jack definitely benefitted from this back in the day when she was a little newbie waif, she has never reciprocated or paid it forward by tagging in others or retweeting (unless they are fellow blue ticks and she's bigging herself up) and her isolation is beginning to be quite noticeable, unsurprisingly. I think the failure to promote Full Time Meals was the final straw for a lot of people.
I'm clearly old enough to Jack's mum. Spag bol, was a regular on the menu in the 70s. Mum also worked her way through all the classics of the 60s and 70s with this recipe book. Lasagne, goulash, beef strogonoff, chilli con carne etc.

View attachment 680507

I might see if I can get a used copy of this from Amazon for nostalgic reasons!
I still have a copy. I like looking at the pictures.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Monrocchio MUST be the next thread title. I care not about rules. It’s too perfect.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 78
Holy fuckcrackers! How did I miss so much already? Couple of days off because I had to do unusual stuff like work/interact with my family etc and I have SOOOOOO much to catch up with now!
Anything particularly special I should know before I start trawling?
I did briefly see some pages ago something about ole Jackanory considering a go fund me to buy themselves a house???? That can't be true surely? Even the Jackal can't be that deluded and self serving???

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Holy fuckcrackers! How did I miss so much already? Couple of days off because I had to do unusual stuff like work/interact with my family etc and I have SOOOOOO much to catch up with now!
Anything particularly special I should know before I start trawling?
I did briefly see some pages ago something about ole Jackanory considering a go fund me to buy themselves a house???? That can't be true surely? Even the Jackal can't be that deluded and self serving???
She’s considered it more than once 🙄

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27

Nah, Jack was already ten by the time your bubs popped out :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 35

Monrocchio - I am ended!! 😂😂😔

• Haha
Reactions: 29
My dad also made this wonderful pasta sauce which was just passata, olive oil, chunks of mozzarella and basil which I can never recreate properly even though it's dead simple.

I hope your Dad hasn't been stringing you along all these years like this poor Country girl. 23m 55s onwards before a shocking revelation at 28m 47s.

Coincidentally, couldn't help noticing some bonus content with an excitable "Ooooh" at 33.36 followed by a Nigella lovefest with real sincerity at 37.30.

Daily_Kitchen_Live_Series_1_-_08._Episode_8_m000hk4b_original - video Dailymotion

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.