Jack Monroe #191 The sound of silence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't think I'll ever get over the cringe of Jack saying she took Marcus to one side and (can't remember the exact words mercifully) 'gently and softly' explained to him her poverty story while he quietly listened.
Does he really not follow her? šŸ˜‚ And he strikes me as a very nice kind person, so there really must be a good reason why he doesn't, or was advised not to. Odd since Jack šŸ“žhim, it said so on her chart.
He definitely has her muted on Twitter, he must rue the day he met Jack.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
I like to imagine that when Tom Kerridge first met Marcus, he was like 'so, do you have much experience with cooking?' and Rashford was all like 'well I was taught how to make meatballs at my old primary school by someone called Jack, she made me rinse baked beans', and it's just followed by this horrified silence until Tom finally says 'well, we'll start with some basics then'.
I like to think that Jack is the in-joke with the proper TV cooks. They all just keep her in mind enough to keep her on the hook, when in reality they all can't stand her and prob have their own Tattle-esque whatsapp group to laugh at her antics.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
I like to think that Jack is the in-joke with the proper TV cooks. They all just keep her in mind enough to keep her on the hook, when in reality they all can't stand her and prob have their own Tattle-esque whatsapp group to laugh at her antics.
Well that GQ article with Tom and Marcus did seem to confirm this to an extent. When asked about cooking at his old school Marcus 'groaned' and 'Oh god I knew you were going to ask me about that' šŸ˜–
And they all laughed about the meatballs at the end.
Hardly a ringing endorsement for our maverick pixie.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 56
I've lost track - did she ever get her last book submitted?
Or was that something else that got swallowed up in the hasty departure from Southend and SM?

Where do we think it all went wrong? I think on three fronts mainly (I'm ignoring the tech duck ups as they weren't deal breakers on their own imo). 1) She is a very awkward and self conscious presenter with seemingly no ability for spontaneous banter. This makes her uncomfortable to watch including the constant 'I'm so nervous' stuff. 2) Her food looks unappetisingly grim and always badly prepared. 3) Her twitter presence around it all. Nothing much more to be said about that šŸ˜–

I know she blamed here for watching along commenting putting her off - but if she had been half decent we would all have got quite bored no doubt.
It was obvious the Matt neither wanted or needed Jack as "co-host' and it showed. Especially as he knew she only got the job as the result of her massive tantrum about not getting the Channel 4 gig.

It looked very much like someone was calling in favours on Jack's behalf, and Matt has no say in the matter. But I think he is now refusing to work with her.

Conjecture, a lot of the difficult to work with came from his side, and Cactus TV haven't had her in anything since, and have erased DKL from their website.

But, God, can you imagine the shitstorm if she had got the channel 4 programme. LJC would had to resign and get a job at Asda.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
Yes it basically comes down to that

I don't think I'll ever get over the cringe of Jack saying she took Marcus to one side and (can't remember the exact words mercifully) 'gently and softly' explained to him her poverty story while he quietly listened.
Does he really not follow her? šŸ˜‚ And he strikes me as a very nice kind person, so there really must be a good reason why he doesn't, or was advised not to. Odd since Jack šŸ“žhim, it said so on her chart.
Donā€™t know how sheā€™s not utterly mortified by this. It would be like most of the population gently, softly explaining their skint student days to someone who had lived thru and is currently (effectively) campaigning against child poverty. Hopefully he downloaded the sample on kindle too and saw V1 of that ridiculous story and thought no thanks.

Maybe she had tasked PR Vix with saving her & getting her in with Marcus and Tom and thatā€™s why sheā€™s been exiled. Not fair rly the woman canā€™t work miracles can she.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
This week Tom is making an omelette in a kettle. Iā€™m a bit disturbed he is slipping into slow cooker tea territory. But at the same time I bet there are kids who would turn their noses up at eggs who might want to try this and if it gets them eating something nutritious and cheap then Iā€™m all for it.
Marcus is just lovely. I loved that bit in the guardian article where he talks about rereading his favourite book and making notes and LEARNING. Shows he has real personal growth. Unlike some people.

Reactions: 34
Granola looked nice. Unfortunately.

Stroganoff looked like the stuff I got in halls at university when everyone else got yummy food.
I did a three week trip to Gibraltar years ago for a big NATO exercise as a reservist. They had tri-service messes and we were fed at the army camp. I had some variation on pasta for every cooked meal and some variation on a cheese sandwich for every box meal on duty. Gods, I missed the navy chefs; even Sodexo was better for veggies.

Reactions: 25
I've lost track - did she ever get her last book submitted?
Or was that something else that got swallowed up in the hasty departure from Southend and SM?

Where do we think it all went wrong? I think on three fronts mainly (I'm ignoring the tech duck ups as they weren't deal breakers on their own imo). 1) She is a very awkward and self conscious presenter with seemingly no ability for spontaneous banter. This makes her uncomfortable to watch including the constant 'I'm so nervous' stuff. 2) Her food looks unappetisingly grim and always badly prepared. 3) Her twitter presence around it all. Nothing much more to be said about that šŸ˜–

I know she blamed here for watching along commenting putting her off - but if she had been half decent we would all have got quite bored no doubt.
I think she could have got away with a LOT more if she was personable and had good banter.

No wonder she hates the Cabal so much, the spontaneous bants is rife here. Bet she reads her threads and has a sulk because she didnā€™t think of the quips first!

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Once Iā€™ve finished grunkaing all the Marvel films then Iā€™ll grunka Jack properly from the start (Iā€™ve had a few failed attempts), but in the meantime could someone please point me in the direction of the threads that gave rise to LJC as the Brexit stockpile thief?

Thanking you dearest Cabal!

Reactions: 26
I miss late 90s vegetarian option at fancy places- red pepper and goats cheese filo parcels. I got really annoyed with them back then, not appreciating that replacing the meat at Xmas dinner, or any main meal at all.
Now itā€™s all butternut squash and kale risotto. I like squash, but risotto can duck off. I like chewing my food.
On topic- I hope Jack is learning about ā€œhubrisā€ they were breadcrumbing that they had a slot on This Morning for months until TM cleary said no in unequivocal terms. Then there was the tantrum about losing their slot because of slightly undercooked pasta.

Once Iā€™ve finished grunkaing all the Marvel films then Iā€™ll grunka Jack properly from the start (Iā€™ve had a few failed attempts), but in the meantime could someone please point me in the direction of the threads that gave rise to LJC as the Brexit stockpile thief?

Thanking you dearest Cabal!
Iā€™m going to say Nov-Dec time but will have a search. I think it was Poca or Alansbigplate who created it in a rage.
@thedowager try thread 125, and if you find the Brexit Tin Thief origin story let us know!!!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Well that GQ article with Tom and Marcus did seem to confirm this to an extent. When asked about cooking at his old school Marcus 'groaned' and 'Oh god I knew you were going to ask me about that' šŸ˜–
And they all laughed about the meatballs at the end.
Hardly a ringing endorsement for our maverick pixie.
Itā€™s 2020 and weā€™re in Marcusā€™ home. He picks up the phone to call MMM (Marcusā€™ Mum Melanie)

MMM: ā€œHello Marcus, whatā€™s happening?ā€

MR: ā€œMum GQ want to do a spread with a cook called Jack Munro, Iā€™m going back to school to do it. Have you heard of them?ā€

MMM: ā€œHmm, no I havenā€™t. Letā€™s google. So GQ though, thatā€™s so exciting! I love the direction of this, itā€™ll be more people to raise...oh noā€

MR: ā€œWhatā€™s wrong Mum?ā€

MMM: ā€œNo that canā€™t be rightā€ (gulps nervously) ā€œIt says here she is the most poor person ever to exist and she....(whispers) rinses beansā€

MR: ā€œMum, what she gets up to in her own time is none of my business!ā€

MMM: ā€œNo Marcus baked beans. She rinses baked beansā€

MR: ā€œOh wow. But why?ā€

MMM: ā€œIt doesnā€™t say lad, why canā€™t you ask me an easier question like what is the meaning of life?!!ā€

MR: ā€œWhat will I do mum? I canā€™t let the kids down and the most important thing is that we raise awareness of child poverty as much as we can. So even though Iā€™ve never heard anything quite so absurd or disgusting, Iā€™ll do itā€

MMM: ā€œAnd everyone will stop and clap their Russell Brands and tell you that you are a starā€

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
On topic- I hope Jack is learning about ā€œhubrisā€ they were breadcrumbing that they had a slot on This Morning for months until TM cleary said no in unequivocal terms. Then there was the tantrum about losing their slot because of slightly undercooked pasta.
Yes weren't there lots of hints about being invited back to TM? Being in talks possibly for a more permanent slot?
I can't then remember the order next - voluntarily stepping away from TV work for MH reasons (I think???) - or as you say losing her slot unreasonably, in her opinion, for ever so slightly raw pasta.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
No shade to Miguel's attractive slop or recipes (I haven't tried them) but my brother describes trying to use his Ā£1 meals at university as 'some of the most depressing evenings of my life' šŸ¤£
I thought his recipes were OK compared to Jack. Nothing too exciting. The main issue for me is that theyā€™re not really ā€˜Ā£1 mealsā€™. Like Jack, I feel he takes a tiny portion and claims ā€˜itā€™s just one pound for this dinnerā€™ but if you make enough for a family youā€™re going to spend Ā£5-6.

But I am a greedy goblin. And I like recipes that are generous with leftovers for lunch.

Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.