Jack Monroe #191 The sound of silence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember the mushroom stroganoff years. The yummy mix of sticky rice and slimey mushrooms.

On thread, Thread one lasted ages, if Jack hadn't started kicking off at Jamie Oliver it would probably still be running.
And then the mushroom risotto years.
Two for the pre-Jack Archives of Slop.

Reactions: 23
I am treating myself to thread #1. So much better with a year of hindsight.

Much of the arrogance went over my head at the time but for her to kick off because that man got a TV show and then condescendingly 'offer' to co-host it is just an ego on another level.

• Haha
Reactions: 52
I am treating myself to thread #1. So much better with a year of hindsight.

Much of the arrogance went over my head at the time but for her to kick off because that man got a TV show and then condescendingly 'offer' to co-host it is just an ego on another level.
Not sure if it's in the first thread, but I love the irony of her thanking all the squigs for getting her the DKL show, which ultimately started the slow death of her career. Nice one squigs!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 76
Been a long time and Matt has not had her back . Others been on several times.
On thread, Thread one lasted ages, if Jack hadn't started kicking off at Jamie Oliver it would probably still be running.
Not sure if it's in the first thread, but I love the irony of her thanking all the squigs for getting her the DKL show, which ultimately started the slow death of her career. Nice one squigs!

Along with her own misjudgements and chaos, I do think the Lime Goss article is a work of art that helped turn the 3 month 1st thread into a juggernaut. She must have really pissed them off on DKL because it is ridiculous to think she has never once been invited back to the Saturday version of the show.

1621768157544.png

1621768578906.png

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 69
Along with her own misjudgements and chaos, I do think the Lime Goss article is a work of art that helped turn the 3 month 1st thread into a juggernaut. She must have really pissed them off on DKL because it is ridiculous to think she has never once been invited back to the Saturday version of the show.

View attachment 586733

View attachment 586739
That's just it isn't it. I have never seen her come back to something she had already done and any of the really big name shows or bake off, or celebrity MasterChef you never even hear her or her food mentioned.

Reactions: 35
The funniest part of that is "banging out free stuff" !?#*! uh, no. Charging for everything she can, even when she's nicked it from elsewhere.

Slightly OT, have folks seen the stories about Diana Hentry, a very good cookbook author? Over the past 18 months she has been seriously ill, breast cancer and then vasculitis, but kept it off social media and got on with her treatment and her life. Such an inspiring story, unlike the awful JM and their searching for sympathy (i.e. money!)

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Well as one of those squigs I Russell Brands hands you!

• Haha
Reactions: 27
The funniest part of that is "banging out free stuff" !?#*! uh, no. Charging for everything she can, even when she's nicked it from elsewhere.

Slightly OT, have folks seen the stories about Diana Hentry, a very good cookbook author? Over the past 18 months she has been seriously ill, breast cancer and then vasculitis, but kept it off social media and got on with her treatment and her life. Such an inspiring story, unlike the awful JM and their searching for sympathy (i.e. money!)
I also think the pandemic speeded up Jack's career demise. I mean, her constant begging and sadfishing was really shown up for what it was when so many people were going through much, much worse.

Kim, There's People That Are Dying | Know Your Meme

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 61
The hilarity of the humble brag 'oh btw I've got a new BBC show, no big deal'

Reader, it WAS a big deal but Jack bollocksed it right up. Needless to say, Jack did not have the last laugh.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
I've lost track - did she ever get her last book submitted?
Or was that something else that got swallowed up in the hasty departure from Southend and SM?

The hilarity of the humble brag 'oh btw I've got a new BBC show, no big deal'

Reader, it WAS a big deal but Jack bollocksed it right up. Needless to say, Jack did not have the last laugh.
Where do we think it all went wrong? I think on three fronts mainly (I'm ignoring the tech duck ups as they weren't deal breakers on their own imo). 1) She is a very awkward and self conscious presenter with seemingly no ability for spontaneous banter. This makes her uncomfortable to watch including the constant 'I'm so nervous' stuff. 2) Her food looks unappetisingly grim and always badly prepared. 3) Her twitter presence around it all. Nothing much more to be said about that 😖

I know she blamed here for watching along commenting putting her off - but if she had been half decent we would all have got quite bored no doubt.

Reactions: 50
@Ellabella was Mystic Meg on thread #1. I don't know how to quote from that thread to this but you said. 'Don't worry everyone, she will be dreadful on the show as she is complete devoid of warmth and charisma'.

I 🦉 and 🍾 reading the crystal ball prediction that came oh so true.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
I also think the pandemic speeded up Jack's career demise. I mean, her constant begging and sadfishing was really shown up for what it was when so many people were going through much, much worse.

View attachment 586777
Agreed. & suspect had GQ not exposed Marcus to just how awful and self obsessed she is (GQ man of the year is note worthy unlike Diva’s influencer of the year, so imagine opening your spread to see Jack’s life story yet again) she may have been in with a chance of appearing on full time meals. As it is he doesn’t even follow her she was that horrifying.

• Haha
Reactions: 56
She can't cook.
Yes it basically comes down to that
Agreed. & suspect had GQ not exposed Marcus to just how awful and self obsessed she is (GQ man of the year is note worthy unlike Diva’s influencer of the year, so imagine opening your spread to see Jack’s life story yet again) she may have been in with a chance of appearing on full time meals. As it is he doesn’t even follow her she was that horrifying.
I don't think I'll ever get over the cringe of Jack saying she took Marcus to one side and (can't remember the exact words mercifully) 'gently and softly' explained to him her poverty story while he quietly listened.
Does he really not follow her? 😂 And he strikes me as a very nice kind person, so there really must be a good reason why he doesn't, or was advised not to. Odd since Jack 📞him, it said so on her chart.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 64
I like to imagine that when Tom Kerridge first met Marcus, he was like 'so, do you have much experience with cooking?' and Rashford was all like 'well I was taught how to make meatballs at my old primary school by someone called Jack, she made me rinse baked beans', and it's just followed by this horrified silence until Tom finally says 'well, we'll start with some basics then'.

• Haha
Reactions: 67
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.