Jack Monroe #189 Food Crime Pie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Talking of spinach, she's made some interesting concoctions with it in her time. Wonder what this is like, and what holds the tinned spinach together??
Someone just posted evidence of her saying tinned spinach was very grassy. Who were these 6 people raving about this dish? Rabbits?

• Haha
Reactions: 47
honestly, I'm torn between "ffs, stop wasting food making these absurd recipes, fraus" and "Louisa J Christ, these are bleeping hilarious"
Hopefully it'll soothe your soul to know all the slimy bread I threw out for the birds this morning was mostly gone just now as we walked pass again. Some poor feathered fucker was game. So not a complete waste xxx

(Jack Monroe; Wildlife ambassador)

• Haha
Reactions: 53
Love the idea of some birds back at their nest feeling all gassy and grim

'Maybe you'll be a bit more careful about what you shove in that beak of yours Clive! Fack Monroe!'

• Haha
Reactions: 49
Hopefully it'll soothe your soul to know all the slimy bread I threw out for the birds this morning was mostly gone just now as we walked pass again. Some poor feathered fucker was game. So not a complete waste xxx

You’ll find a whole flock of gloves on your walk tomorrow :(

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 55

Handy to know if I ever get to the end of my tether with the harpy possum in the tree behind my house. I'll whip up some claggy Jack bread, might keep her quiet for a night.

PS If you're keen for a fright look up Australian possum noises on YouTube.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
I'm just chatting to a friend who's a bit skint at the moment and decided to take advantage of that 'too good to go' app where you can get cheap bags of near end-date food from various shops.

I asked him to let me know what he gets as I'm always looking for ways to have more money to spend on shite save money on food. Last text says 'magic bag was disappointing, crab sticks and custard anyone?' and I'm sorely tempted to point him in the direction of this thread, except I do quite enjoy his company and would like that to continue.
I get one from Morrison’s once a week. Generally fruit and veg and odd bakery stuff.

Reactions: 23
Someone just posted evidence of her saying tinned spinach was very grassy. Who were these 6 people raving about this dish? Rabbits?
One was an activist and campaigner.
One was a bestselling cookbook writer.
One was Greek.
One was Irish.
One was an enigmatic Scot by the name of Benedict Cumberscotch.
And one was poor Caroline. 😥

• Haha
Reactions: 57
@Orphan_Black oh you are spoiling us today! I think I know what the roots say, there’s a secret message which spells “just throw it away” isn’t there!

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I thought that Orphy B had made all the cans into Jack Monroe cans.....but.... Google tells me that's how the original cover was. 😬😂 The arrogance of mackie!

Just like when she pasted her name all over the food bank donation.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 55
I thought that Orphy B had made all the cans into Jack Monroe cans.....but.... Google tells me that's how the original cover was. 😬😂 The arrogance of mackie!

Just like when she pasted her name all over the food bank donation.
It's irrationally annoyed me that two cans are missing from the top of her hoard. She is an expert on Pythagoras Theory, you need three more cans to triangulate dear Jackie.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
🦉 🍾 🦉🍾🦉🍾🦉🍾

I am about to move house and need to use up my tins and other bits and bobs. I don’t even know where to begin with the hideous options available. But if I do stumble across anything that matches up roughly with what I have, I’ll happily take one for the cabal.

What I have in the house:
Mouldy old under-the-sofa crumbs
Heinz Beans (rinsed)
Two frozen Mackerel fillets
Black olives - tinned
Oil is oil is oil OIL
Long blonde drain hair

Pretty sure this is all I need for headrush spaghetti, no?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Oh tit, I've been rewatching Peep Show, and this scene shows Jack's exact recipe making process:

(Also, this thread title reminds me of Super Hans "the secret ingredient is crime")
Early hours grunka here. I love peep show.
Chuckling into my bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes. One of those dishes which cannot be improved. Straightforward, simple, delicious.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I see Lidl are doing “tile” a kind of mini version for £12.99 in the middle lane of shite this weekend. You use your phone to make it play a tune (exactly like those 80s key rings!) range is only 200ft and it is key ring type, not fantastical train floor adhesive sort.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I am not brave enough to try anything slimy or swampy (much kudos to the Fraus who dare) so I tried these...

I mean, how wrong can cookies get! Surely not too much of a challenge. Plus, I do like PB&J.

I used the same tablespoon for all the measuring (to maintain consistency).

Following the recipe was easy enough. First problem was the dough was far too dry (see mix in bowl). Like a pastry without the water being added. I added an extra tablespoon of peanut butter but still not sticking together. My egg yolk wasn’t massive - just average. I ended up adding a fairly generous splash of almond milk to get a workable dough.

The mix gave me 14 good sized cookies (not 12) but 4 tablespoons of jam was still far too much even with grownup thumbs (not the ickle smol pixie boy sized one mentioned in the recipe) so I had about 1/2 tablespoon left.

The second problem - They took 20 minutes to cook. (I checked after 10 mins, 14 mins, 18 mins and took them out at 20 even though they still looked too pale and were still a bit soft. They did not spread out.

They taste blander than I would like and the peanut flavour is only just there. They are also a bit dry (you need a big cuppa to enjoy with two of these). They have a pasty sort of texture that stick to the roof of your mouth.

Not the worst thing I have made, but not entering my repertoire of regular bakes at all. 5/10 at best. Must try harder.

Usual problems relating to Jack not testing them out a few times and tweaking. If I did do them again I would add extra peanut butter - lose at least one tablespoon of flour and make them thinner as they don’t flatten or spread at all. I suspect the “rainy day fun with tiny thumbed pixie boy” happened once. For the recipe/blog/brief.

Costing wise - didn’t have to buy anything as had all ingredients. Food is more expensive here so can’t do a fair pricing for the UK fraus anyway!
The photo of the dry dough has reminded me of one of my favourite childhood books! Holes, by Louis Sacher. For any fraus unfamiliar with the story, it's set in the desert...

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I was not at all BUSY so I was digging through the archives. Jack time is bendier than the slimy streak in slow cooker bread. So it was 2 months ago today that we had stalker-gate. I was going to say teacher-gate but realised there were more than one incident we could call that.
So yeah, stalker gate where Jack revealed she had been groped by a primary school teacher at age 9 and stalked by him ever since, causing her to change her name and move house, take out credit cards and debt in order to pay him off, pull out of running in the election and...he lives just over the road. The tweets are still up.
Then two weeks later and it’s all pink sofas and ODAAT in east London.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 57
I was not at all BUSY so I was digging through the archives. Jack time is bendier than the slimy streak in slow cooker bread. So it was 2 months ago today that we had stalker-gate. I was going to say teacher-gate but realised there were more than one incident we could call that.
So yeah, stalker gate where Jack revealed she had been groped by a primary school teacher at age 9 and stalked by him ever since, causing her to change her name and move house, take out credit cards and debt in order to pay him off, pull out of running in the election and...he lives just over the road. The tweets are still up.
Jack time really is like no other. That whole nasty episode seems sooo long ago now. I guess when you change your identity as often as they do, time flies!

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Don't forget, she was in a fugue state when she tweeted all that...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
Tinned spinach is also very wet is it not? Another dish full of texture then. 😬

ETA just seen she calls them "light fluffy puffy" dumplings. They do not look light and fluffy to me!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.