Jack Monroe #189 Food Crime Pie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you! I have tried making crumpets before with all kinds of lemon juice faffing around and never had a great result. I didn't know Warburtons had shared their recipe.
You are welcome. I would leave the mix a little longer than 15 mins though. And don’t be tempted (like I was) to ladle loads in...you end up having to cook the tops whilst still runny which closes up all the lovely holes! 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 17
The more you look, the more you can't believe it's a real book
PXL_20210512_191910608~2.jpg

Nay a wonder she didn't include photographs of the food

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 66
Oh fraus please don’t waste food just to amuse us. It’s never going to be edible.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
OT (dont know how to operate the spoiler button, for shameth)

I've got to go to work tomorrow for the first time back, I mean, properly, go into the office, in non-gravy-stained clothes and do work, with work colleagues in the same office space. I can't slop about on here for 20 hours a day like I have been since March last year.

I'll gladly eat anyone's live time on here home made sloppings to win more time 🌰🍲🍍

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
I am not brave enough to try anything slimy or swampy (much kudos to the Fraus who dare) so I tried these...

I mean, how wrong can cookies get! Surely not too much of a challenge. Plus, I do like PB&J.

I used the same tablespoon for all the measuring (to maintain consistency).

Following the recipe was easy enough. First problem was the dough was far too dry (see mix in bowl). Like a pastry without the water being added. I added an extra tablespoon of peanut butter but still not sticking together. My egg yolk wasn’t massive - just average. I ended up adding a fairly generous splash of almond milk to get a workable dough.

The mix gave me 14 good sized cookies (not 12) but 4 tablespoons of jam was still far too much even with grownup thumbs (not the ickle smol pixie boy sized one mentioned in the recipe) so I had about 1/2 tablespoon left.

The second problem - They took 20 minutes to cook. (I checked after 10 mins, 14 mins, 18 mins and took them out at 20 even though they still looked too pale and were still a bit soft. They did not spread out.

They taste blander than I would like and the peanut flavour is only just there. They are also a bit dry (you need a big cuppa to enjoy with two of these). They have a pasty sort of texture that stick to the roof of your mouth.

Not the worst thing I have made, but not entering my repertoire of regular bakes at all. 5/10 at best. Must try harder.

Usual problems relating to Jack not testing them out a few times and tweaking. If I did do them again I would add extra peanut butter - lose at least one tablespoon of flour and make them thinner as they don’t flatten or spread at all. I suspect the “rainy day fun with tiny thumbed pixie boy” happened once. For the recipe/blog/brief.

Costing wise - didn’t have to buy anything as had all ingredients. Food is more expensive here so can’t do a fair pricing for the UK fraus anyway!

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 63
Oh fraus please don’t waste food just to amuse us. It’s never going to be edible.
If someone googles Jack Monroe white bean spinach and garlic soup from Tin Can Cook and ends up here, it might save a bit of disappointment and money for someone else. If there's one thing I've learned today, it's never ever boil an onion. Even if a published notachef tells you it's okay.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
I am not brave enough to try anything slimy or swampy (much kudos to the Fraus who dare) so I tried these...

I mean, how wrong can cookies get! Surely not too much of a challenge. Plus, I do like PB&J.

Following the recipe was easy enough. First problem was the dough was far too dry (see mix in bowl). Like a pastry without the water being added. I added an extra tablespoon of peanut butter but still not sticking together. My egg yolk wasn’t massive - just average. I ended up adding a fairly generous splash of almond milk to get a workable dough.

The mix gave me 14 good sized cookies (not 12) but 4 tablespoons of jam was still far too much even with grownup thumbs (not the ickle smol pixie boy sized one mentioned in the recipe) so I had about 1/2 tablespoon left.

The second problem - They took 20 minutes to cook. (I checked after 10 mins, 14 mins, 18 mins and took them out at 20 even though they still looked too pale and were still a bit soft. They did not spread out.

They taste blander than I would like and the peanut flavour is only just there. They are also a bit dry (you need a big cuppa to enjoy with two of these). They have a pasty sort of texture that stick to the roof of your mouth.

Not the worst thing I have made, but not entering my repertoire of regular bakes at all. 5/10 at best. Must try harder.

Usual problems relating to Jack not testing them out a few times and tweaking. If I did do them again I would add extra peanut butter - lose at least one tablespoon of flour and make them thinner as they don’t flatten or spread at all. I suspect the “rainy day fun with tiny thumbed pixie boy” happened once. For the recipe/blog/brief.

Costing wise - didn’t have to buy anything as had all ingredients. Food is more expensive here so can’t do a fair pricing for the UK fraus anyway!
Jammy Bodgers!
(Not a reflection on your cooking skills, more a stern glare at the 'recipe')

• Haha
Reactions: 47

That dough! OMG.

Actually, dough is too strong a word for the contents of that bowl...

I salute all you Frauen who are tackling the Jack Challenge!

ETA: in the recipe she suggests replacing the peanut butter with grated chocolate. So even less moisture? duck me, she is beyond useless.

• Haha
Reactions: 44

Oooh, there's 14 of them, what ya gonna do with them all?

• Haha
Reactions: 32

There's a reason we don't use tablespoons as a measurement for flour in baking. The best way is def by weight, but if not it needs to be a standardised measuring cup. It worries me that I know this as someone who doesn't enjoy baking and is very average at it. She is paid to write recipes. The mind boggles.

Reactions: 48

They look quite nice actually, you've made a purse out of a sow's ear! (The bread was just the same, absolutely no flavour at all)

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I have a feeling some of the successful squiggles aren’t exactly the best cooks to begin with. They remind me of some of “successes” on the slow cooker groups I joined on Facebook when I first got a slow cooker. Can’t say I’ve ever been tempted by a box cake mix and lemonade combo that’s been steamed into an oval brick for 8 hours.
I have a feeling they just may be 🧦🧦🧦🧦🧦🧦

• Haha
Reactions: 21
There's a reason we don't use tablespoons as a measurement for flour in baking. The best way is def by weight, but if not it needs to be a standardised measuring cup. It worries me that I know this as someone who doesn't enjoy baking and is very average at it. She is paid to write recipes. The mind boggles.
Yes - it is very rare I use such imprecise methods but the recipe is the recipe (see my pic!) I wouldn’t have bothered with the extra peanut butter or almond milk if I hadn’t already committed to getting something in the oven and (as @colouredlines rightly points out) it needed some serious help in the moisture department. I can’t imagine just how they would work with chocolate. Definitely NOT triple tested that variation, have you Jack?

@Kittypops - a neighbour politely ate two and said they were ok because they weren’t too peanutty and he isn’t keen on peanut butter! I ate two. I will probably pop the remainders into a bird feeder we have - there is a lot of bird activity in the garden at the moment and they are not as discerning!

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Omg 😱

I mean, we know she thinks and writes like this - “me me me me”! Still, every time I see it in black and white, I am absolutely aghast at her self-obsession. I slept on a mattress for a year in the house I live in now. It doesn’t mean anything, it was just there was a lot of work to do etc etc. I’ve got a bed now, so have all but forgotten about it. When I was a child, my mum ordered me a bed and a mattress, the mattress came but there was an issue with the bed and the whole thing went on for months, my old bed had been sold to make way for the new one that didn’t come. I slept on the floor for months until the new one came, it’s not part of my identity!

Jack has shown us the bed from that time, sometimes referred to tearfully as a sofa. It’s a Hemnes daybed from IKEA that pulls out into a double bed. I used to have one! Hardly a blanket on a stone floor is it? She has no concept of the reality of life for Syrian refugees, and can’t have looked into it at all or she surely wouldn’t have the audacity to make such offensive comparisons. They’ve lost everything, whereas if Jack had called her dad he could stop it all (yeah!).
Also, when Jack claims they were in a *house share* it was actually her family home!!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 63
Yeah she never fails to amaze with her words.

View attachment 571600

She's talking about the mandarin/black bean stew.
Christ! We know she is a terrible writer but who in gods holy name is being paid to edit this nonsense??? Surely to Christ that cannot be in a cookbook? Astounding! What’s the point in having editors, copywriters and recipe testers if this makes a finished product?

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 40

These look very familiar; similar to the recipe my kids made me for Father’s Day one year - except the ones made for me were *chef’s kiss*

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.