Jack Monroe #187 Who does she think she is, flippin' Cher?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t see it either! I really hope that’s the case. Even if they sort out the address issue, it’s still just such a bad idea.
Agreed.

It genuinely makes me feel sick.

In other news.

Has her super cringe bio update been shared?
Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 11.17.23.png

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
Agreed.

Babe, same. What gives me a bad feeling about it is that Twitter is not just encouraging and enabling grifting, they’re normalising it. I don’t want to sound all tin foil hat, but I get a feeling it could have serious social and cultural repercussions. It’s hard to explain, it’s just one of those gut instinct feelings.
And of course, as others have said, people that are genuinely in need will be too ashamed to ask, and the ones most likely to donate are those that don’t have much spare themselves.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
Agreed.

In other news.

Has her super cringe bio update been shared?View attachment 563399
Just realise what poor writing that bio is with the two asterisks in it. Not that it matters, but if you were a real writer you would know that using them for referring to things and as a way to censor the 'duck' bit it introduces ambiguity. Her desire to be clever/witty overrides sensible use of characters.

Or in other words: Why is everything she writes such hard work to read???

It also shows how there isn't a proffesional social media person or editor touching her stuff at all (I assuem she's too stubbron to take on one)

Babe, same. What gives me a bad feeling about it is that Twitter is not just encouraging and enabling grifting, they’re normalising it. I don’t want to sound all tin foil hat, but I get a feeling it could have serious social and cultural repercussions. It’s hard to explain, it’s just one of those gut instinct feelings.
And of course, as others have said, people that are genuinely in need will be too ashamed to ask, and the ones most likely to donate are those that don’t have much spare themselves.
I can't wait for Gen Z to call bollocks on the gig and grift economy and to re-invent/rediscover unions.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Other supermarkets are available. You aren't funny Jack. That is just try hard. Get some originality, give the plebs something for their hard-earned.

Reactions: 41
Honestly to me this donating thing is a wider analogy for no longer having appropriate support from the state. GoFundMes in the states for healthcare are a necessity for many now. The UK is going this way too.

And that's with reference to people who need the dosh.

People like Jack grifting to me represents the entitlement these media luvvies have. They seem to think saying bung it in a curry and posting recipes on a website (which everyone from small time influencers through to Delia bloody Smith does because it's not 1997) means they're entitled to donations when they are ALREADY monetising this work through ad revenue/brand collabs/bylines etc. I know we joke about Mr Sm*lB*t (no google alert for you sweaty x) but they all just seem so ENTITLED and at ease with openly accepting donations.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
@bladiesla and @LavaFlake thank you, what you both said really gets to the point of it, and I couldn’t articulate why. It’s like employers will be more able to justify an unlivable wage if anyone can just “top up” on Twitter. It‘s SO wrong.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
It's still not there for me, but I think lots of the changes to twitter roll out like this. I always seem to be the last to get them - like, people will be chatting about the change in format or whatever and I'll have no idea what they're going on about until 2 days later, when it finally hits.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
This is what I don't get, if being freelance is so badly paid why don't these people get regular jobs and do the freelance as a side hussle, I get they want to make money from their art and enjoy their work etc but if it isn't paying for itself whats the point.
Now that SB is grown up, she could go back to the fire service since she loved it so much and was the hero (of the telephones).🤭

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
I remember debating with myself whether to support Jack's kickstarter - I have limited funds so try to spend carefully, I know how complicated and time consuming putting a book together and publishing it can be, and felt at the time that it wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for Jack to be doing so opted to support another book project instead (which resulted in a beautiful, unique end product I'm proud to have supported, so I had the last laugh). Hard agree that what Twitter is doing here is normalising something that takes us even further away from those mutual aid days (which isn't surprising)

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Jack when she spots a new squiggle enthusiastically interacting with her tweets.
what-has-it-got-in-its-pocketses.jpg

I can't believe how quickly she's jumped on this new opportunity to grift, except upon 3 milliseconds of reflection I absolutely can believe it.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 72
Jack when she spots a new squiggle enthusiastically interacting with her tweets.
View attachment 563454
I can't believe how quickly she's jumped on this new opportunity to grift, except upon 3 milliseconds of reflection I absolutely can believe it.
I read that in his squeaky/gravelly voice, absolutely brilliant meme for her.

Pocketses. I die.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
It’s definitely there for me. Can’t believe how quick she’s jumped onto it.

Just shows what her true love is, money.

Anyone fancy sending her 1p and saying “STOP GRIFTING” as the message?!
Don't, she'll harvest your details and get her BUSY lawyer to send you some nasty threatening letter from Israel.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 49
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.