Jack Monroe #186 The bromelain in canned pineapple is denatured

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
topics are lush and still in existence.

o/t Jack-worthy boring story time

back in college, topics were always the first to run out when the vending machine in the canteen was restocked, they were that popular in turn-of-the-century north shields.
I have only met two people who like topics and both were from the north east! Is it something in the water?

• Haha
Reactions: 33
What is it with Jack wanting to be older than they are but face tuning themselves to look so much younger?

I would spend some mental energy trying to think about it but I am preparing for the new series of below deck and really cba.
Probably some secret Fack Monroe bat signal to attract a new older woman...nothing would surprise me with her! Just imagine how many penny chews you could have had Fack, if you'd stayed with millionaire Allegra!
(Just thought I'd mention it, cause it's a Bank hols weekend 😁)...

• Haha
Reactions: 36
topics are lush and still in existence.

o/t Jack-worthy boring story time

back in college, topics were always the first to run out when the vending machine in the canteen was restocked, they were that popular in turn-of-the-century north shields.

one day, I spied what I believed to be an unclaimed topic in the bottom of the vending machine and swooped in, triumphantly

readers, it was a cold sausage in a topic wrapper, planted by a group of horrible boys who had a jolly good laugh at me 😳
Oh @kachoochoo bless you. I certainly wouldn't want to be confronted with a rogue sausage🙏🏼

• Haha
Reactions: 44
The sweet talk is making me feel depressingly old as I can remember being able to get four fruit salads etc for 1p and a mars bar for 3.5p. I did only get 10p a week pocket money at the time!
Worry not, I remember them at 4 for 1d, that would be 8 for 1p! Now that is a long time ago.

At least you didn't have to contend with pre decimalisation money calculations. How about a share of the weekly pay of £4 17s 8d divided between 4 friends and then multiplied it by the 17 weeks each person works. What did each friend receive? I really do remember those calculations and getting the ruler across my knuckles for getting it wrong.

See Jack, the older you get the more things cost. In another 30 years things will have an even higher price. It is the same with house prices, they generally get more expensive as time goes by, except in a financial crisis, but even then they recover. It is why wasting all your money on consumer goods that you do not need instead of saving a deposit is just stupid.

I wouldn't be holding out for a rich partner either, to let them buy you the forever home you seem to think you deserve. You are getting older Jack, you are no longer the cute little trophy wife, and you have little else to offer.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Omg this is such dead content, down to the specific bus route 😫

Remember the creepy vampire guy who’d tweet her? Wonder which chaos turned him off her
Reckon it was the soft, soft light peeping though her pink velvet curtains (not a euphemism, all you filth mongers 😂)
He probably thought: ‘Any bird who can survive sitting in a literal sunbeam is not the queen of the undead for me. Goodbye. I said - goodbye!’

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
Rest your mind.

Watch Below Deck. You will soon forget Jack exists and be more concerned with Captain Lee and the antics of the charter guests.
I have two great lockdown entertainment achievements
1. Finding this thread
2. Discovering below deck (I love Ben and all the antics)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
This dead chat reminds me of me when I was at uni and smoked weed once and spent hours googling retro chocolate while having a SEVERE case of the munchies but was too stoned to go to the shop.

• Haha
Reactions: 57
Is it “normal below deck” or the med one? I got absolutely obsessed with normal below deck because I’d like Eddie to do to me the sort of things Harry dreams Ian Hislop would do to her but I’ve not watched the med one and fear I’m missing out

On topic. Sweets. Cheaper in the 90s? Wow. Would never have guessed things would be more expensive 30yrs later. Thanks Jack! That’s made my Friday night!
Honestly, do a chaos, or something otherwise we will go wildly OT.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
This dead chat reminds me of me when I was at uni and smoked weed once and spent hours googling retro chocolate while having a SEVERE case of the munchies but was too stoned to go to the shop.
This has brought back so many happy memories of being young and very stoned and going to the 24 hour garage to get munchies with my mates. We must have looked a right state to the lovely Asian owners.

Oh and I’m a good fifteen years older than Jack and I can just about remember those Fry’s Five Centre cream bars. When I was a girl, you’d get two Mojos, BlackJacks or Fruit Salads for a penny. Those halfpenny sweets were brilliant, if you chose those you’d get double in your 10p mix-up. I’d get a pound note for my pocket money and I’d buy a quarter of strawberry bonbons, a Caramac and a packet of original Hubba Bubba (the best flavour) and still have over 50p left. Bloody hell, I’m turning into Jack wittering on like this.😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Gah, not Sweets Jack again! (By the way, does she only start her discourses on things named Jack? Jackfruit, black jacks ...)

If she’s back on sweets, this surely means her thread topics are on a rotation system. If we have to endure Tank Jack or Harvester Menu Jack for a second time, I wish you all the best.
😳😳 bridge jack

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Why does she fib about the most inane things? If she can remember sweets being a penny, then I’m a sugar mouse and a paper twist of barley sugar.
I can remember penny sweets at 33, but blackjacks and the like were actually more pricey (2p? 3p?) as they were a bit fancier than a cola bottle. So she may remember penny sweets, but she’s bringing the prices down!

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I can't contribute much to the vintage sweets chat, but I do miss getting gigantic bags of sherbert from the local sweet-shop when we went on holiday :') I'm still a bit resentful of my dad after he threw out my half-full bag of the stuff on the drive back ;-; Who needs drugs when you have 500g of pure sugar??

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
new series released on Netflix tomorrow but if you are willing to pay on Amazon you can watch them all now. I am not so am very excited.
OMG I loooovve below deck!!!! So excited for a new series! I’ve seen all the old ones.

Reckon it was the soft, soft light peeping though her pink velvet curtains (not a euphemism, all you filth mongers 😂)
He probably thought: ‘Any bird who can survive sitting in a literal sunbeam is not the queen of the undead for me. Goodbye. I said - goodbye!’
He did actually disagree with her a few months after declaring undead love for her recipes. I think he still followed her for a while. I liked Vampire Squiggle.

Is it “normal below deck” or the med one? I got absolutely obsessed with normal below deck because I’d like Eddie to do to me the sort of things Harry dreams Ian Hislop would do to her but I’ve not watched the med one and fear I’m missing out

He turned out to be an asshat

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
My Mum was just complaining to me about Monty Don getting a new smaller dog after his old one Nigel passed (can’t wait to find out what vital information this has pushed out of my brain) and because I was trying to catch up with you ninnies I said, “Who, Mel Donte?” 😐

Oh god, she’s just asked me to compare her ear size to Kirsty Wark’s...spare me.

Jacktopic, aaah I see we’re at the Old Sweetie Shoppe cycle. Tit.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.