Jack Monroe #186 The bromelain in canned pineapple is denatured

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ruh-roh. Unrinsed beans, too.
View attachment 555105
Tuna as well? You can make super delicious super quick super thrifty soft low slow tuna, rinsed bean and pineapple surprise with a tomato base!

(When I went round to my only friend's house as a child his mum had made 'tuna crisp' for their dinner which was just a slop of tinned tuna in a white sauce baked with crushed up crisps on top. I had to politely decline multiple times. She even tried to get me to taste it by waving some on a spoon at me which really stretched my good manners to the limit)

edit: missed a word

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
Ruh-roh. Unrinsed beans, too.
View attachment 555105
using my forensic skills I can look at your food store and instantly plan a delicious nutritionally balanced meal.

I suggest rinsed bean and tuna balls, with pineapple hats in a rich tomato sauce - sauce: mix of tomato soup with tin of tomatoes, add four fat cloves of garlic and plenty of black pepper, warm through.

Recipe for tuna balls to come never.

Serve four hungry smol pixies.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 55
I love the deep fried Colin caterpillar cake. And with that I mean that I love that people did it. I wouldn't like to eat it (yikes), but I have respect for the concept.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
My grandfather was the poshest man ever and, as well as an OBE, was a Lieutenant Colonel and had a Burma Star medal. I think it means he served there- my mum says he never spoke about it. I never heard him described as decorated. (He is DEAD).
My dad had the Burma Star to. He didn’t talk about it either. He certainly never wore them, he said he didn’t need a medal to remind him of how awful it had been. He is also DEAD.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
There’s also a whole thing on her wiki edits about whether he was decorated in the Falklands as she’s claimed or not. Though to grudgingly be fair to Jack, as a non-military Frau, the internet does seem to imply people generally disagree on what counts as decorated.
There's various types of medals. Gallantry ones like the Victoria and George Crosses, Military Medal, Mentioned In Dispatches, etc for doing something above and beyond. These are usually what is meant by 'decorated'. There's the 'Undetected Crime' ones, ie long service and good conduct. 'Around At The Time' ones such as the various Jubilee and Coronation ones. Then there's the campaign ones - if he was in the Falklands and Northern Ireland, he will have the South Atlantic Medal and the General Service Medal with NI Bar; basically, I Fought Here ones. After big wars such as WW1 and WW2, there were peace medals (my grandad got the 1918 Peace Medal and my parents the 1939-1945 Victory Medal), ie 'I Survived This'.

* Gallantry
* Undetected Crime
* Around At The Time
* I Fought Here
* I Survived This

Incidentally, as a great pub quiz question, the only person to have been decorated by both sides for the same action in the same war was in the Falklands - Surgeon-Commander Rick Jolly RN was honoured by both the UK and Argentina for his treatment of the wounded.

ETA: My parents would never have described themselves as "decorated". Dad had the Atlantic Star, the Burma Star, the Africa Star (with bar for France and Germany), the 1939-1945 Star, and the 1939-1945 Victory Medal (he said that Japan capitulated too quickly for him to get the Pacific Star); he died around the time Russia was starting to acknowledge those on the Arctic Convoys but he was on them. Mum had the Burma Star, the Defence Medal, and the 1939-1945 Victory Medal. Even I've got an Undetected Crime and a couple of Jubilee ones. 📐📐📐

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
There's various types of medals. Gallantry ones like the Victoria and George Crosses, Military Medal, Mentioned In Dispatches, etc for doing something above and beyond. These are usually what is meant by 'decorated'. There's the 'Undetected Crime' ones, ie long service and good conduct. 'Around At The Time' ones such as the various Jubilee and Coronation ones. Then there's the campaign ones - if he was in the Falklands and Northern Ireland, he will have the South Atlantic Medal and the General Service Medal with NI Bar; basically, I Fought Here ones. After big wars such as WW1 and WW2, there were peace medals (my grandad got the 1918 Peace Medal and my parents the 1939-1945 Star), ie 'I Survived This'.

* Gallantry
* Undetected Crime
* Around At The Time
* I Fought Here
* I Survived This

Incidentally, as a great pub quiz question, the only person to have been decorated by both sides for the same action in the same war was in the Falklands - Surgeon-Commander Rick Jolly RN was honoured by both the UK and Argentina for his treatment of the wounded.
Dr Rick Jolly, I heard an interview on the radio with him from way back and he was hilarious. He wrote several books, so I looked them up.
Fraus of a more delicate disposition may want to look away now...
Screenshot_20210501-183354_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Make yourself a delicious baked bean and pineapple curry. Take a photo of the bowl nestled in your massive smol dainty hands, then chuck it in the back of one of your smeg fridges and order a Deliveroo.
* drained baked beans

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 24
I love the deep fried Colin caterpillar cake. And with that I mean that I love that people did it. I wouldn't like to eat it (yikes), but I have respect for the concept.
Can't bear to think about little Colin bobbing about in a deep fat fryer.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 50
Yes, awarded to British and Commonwealth forces who served in the Burma Campaign from 1941 to 1945.
It was also awarded more generally for service around the Indian Ocean. My mother who was drafted to South Africa (East of The Cape) and a colleague who served in India both had the Burma Star. There was the Atlantic Star ⚓, the Africa Star (North Africa plus later Europe), the Burma Star, and the Pacific Star. There were qualifications for all these. I remember this as Mum had quite a bit of wrangling with the Navy to get her actual Burma Star as it's not that common for women; she was only presented with the ribbon at the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Awwww you're so great Jack x #payitforward

Where on earth is she going to find the room for all that
The elephant, polar bear and guide dog is like the riddle of the fox, the grain and the chicken trying to cross a river in one boat.

• Haha
A glove, but not a glove, 😢 this poor wee soul appears to have met the combine at the wrong moment 🥺☹
77132658-D999-462C-9657-6AA9DED87D77.jpeg

I think it may have been a grass snake 🥺

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 47
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.