Jack Monroe #182 Extraneous brine

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think that these are mainly the people who think Jacks recipes are wonderful for other people
Yeah, remember that Guardian journalist telling the story about how his editor was looking at Jack's recipes and said "but no one actually eats this stuff, do they" (paraphrasing). The journo posted it on twitter to make a point about how out of touch the editor was, but obviously the editor was spitting truth!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 64
She definitely believe that. Unfortunately for her, she was still tit at it.
There’s a point she asks Dr Raj a question and it’s so over rehearsed it sounds ridiculous. There’s no skill. I’m saying this as someone who would be rubbish at that, I know that though.

Reactions: 33
Yeah, remember that Guardian journalist telling the story about how his editor was looking at Jack's recipes and said "but no one actually eats this stuff, do they" (paraphrasing). The journo posted it on twitter to make a point about how out of touch the editor was, but obviously the editor was spitting truth!
I don't remember this, but it sounds like that editor was someone who was willing to speak a truth at a time when it was unpopular.

Reactions: 34
There’s a point she asks Dr Raj a question and it’s so over rehearsed it sounds ridiculous. There’s no skill. I’m saying this as someone who would be rubbish at that, I know that though.
Recently, I had to feature in a video for my company about the job I do and I know I'm pretty awkward in real life, let alone on camera, but having watched it back, I'm fairly certain I managed better than JM. And I didn't even get paid for it :(

ETA sorry for tit sentence structure, I don't even know how to rectify that 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Jack's fans are the worst. This is from a bretxiteer.

View attachment 541019

TBH I think she'll rather enjoy people implying that Marcus and Tom are stealing her thunder, she won't want to shut it down because the more its out there the more 'true' it gets, in her mind. She cares less about the cause than she does about her own publicity.
Unfortunately. She's going up against a footballer though, who'll be playing for England soon. I can't see this going well for her

I don't remember this, but it sounds like that editor was someone who was willing to speak a truth at a time when it was unpopular.
The receipts are on here somewhere but I'm not sure how I'd find them now.

Reactions: 20
I feel like a crappy feminist saying this but what a difference having long hair makes on her! She looked genuinely v pretty in that odd curler vid. She has funny ideas about it though:
-Falling out in clumps..... some strands in the bath after washing it.
-Keeping a long bit for fun...... reverse rats tail
-Bicked it (is this a word?)...... trimmed the undercut.
I think Jack was claiming to be on testosterone when it was 'falling out in clumps', which is a common side effect. I never really saw the bald patches Jack was claiming to have. Looked normal, maybe a little thin.

Can confirm no one knows who Jack is.. a few months back I used her as my 'go' on a very drunken game of Zoom charades. It took a really long time for anyone to get close and then when I was forced to reveal her name there was a sea of blank faces.
I'll have to use Jack next time I play the sticky head game. You'd have to ask some pretty specific questions to get to Jack's name. "Do I own a lot of sideboards?" "Do I live in a bungalow?" "Do I often suffer from ouchy mouth?"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I've thought about Jack's convoluted recipes more than ever recently because I have started a volunteer role working with someone who has just settled into permanent housing and offering support with whatever goals they'd like to acheive. One of the main things is cooking, so I have been creating some simple, nutritious recipes I can offer that won't seem overwhelming or annoying to make and will actually taste good enough at the end that they will be worth making again. I cannot even imagine offering a single one of Jack's recipes as a useful tool which is insane because that's HER ENTIRE REASON FOR HAVING A CAREER?!
Hi @blurstoftimes i have some (diagnosed) health issues whereby cooking for me and my kids is one of my biggest problem areas, we use a lot of takeaway and convenience foods which I can't afford and they create a lot of packaging waste etc.
I would be really interested if you were able to share some of your easy nutrition ideas, not a problem if not! Thank you 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Important to note, I think, that this fan of Jack's, to whom Jack chose to respond, is a true blue tory, who likes to volunteer as a food bank and hand out Jack's recipes for clout, even while working for a party which is responsible for people needing food banks in the first place.

View attachment 540989
This squiggle used to sellotape food together with instructions?? But why on earth would you do that? 🤪

• Haha
  • Sick
Grunking on lunch break...Tom Kerridge is on Five Live at 3 this afternoon...with no mention of the Queen of Slop.
Also, did I see fishfinger sandwich in the new initiative? If you put them in a burger bun, add cheese and tartare sauce, it tastes exactly like a Maccys Filet O'Fish. No, not yours Jackie (or any of your slop recipes tbh), as I'd rather super glue my gob shut....

• Haha
  • Heart

Saw this on social media and its spot on. For BootstrapCook and that whole realm of Twitter.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
This squiggle used to sellotape food together with instructions?? But why on earth would you do that? 🤪
That bothered me too. Never mind how patronising and presumptuous is it. I just have visions of the sellotape peeling off important information, like instructions or use-by dates, from the packaging,

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
It's horrible. I fail to understand why more people working on something like this is bad.

There's also plenty of activity in this space that was never led by JM.

Also, when people come along and do a far more impactful job of something, that might be a good time to take a look at what they're doing, compared to what you're doing and ask yourself how they managed to make a success of something you struggled with. Now, maybe part of that is profile, in this case, but I suspect it's also the willingness to build a team, the preparedness to work with people who you might not necessarily be politically aligned with and the amount of effort being put into building something coherent. Or, you know, we could all keep shouting on Twitter and burning all the bridges.
I have taken on things where I've learned I'm out of my depth. Depending on how important and integral it is I either learn it or accept its not for me and move on. I may have been less than gracious about it at times as a callow youth but now I feel I know myself well enough to understand my limitations as well as where I have room for growth.
Her time in the limelight as celeb chef has passed. Her niche is no longer a niche because the issues around food poverty are much more visible now and actually more prevalent.
It needs more than one person to be the linchpin and it needs people to whom the public can relate.

• Heart
Reactions: 36

Saw this on social media and its spot on. For BootstrapCook and that whole realm of Twitter.
I read this earlier today, so true! Everything has to be something pertaining to a neurological diversity or a difficult childhood.

I hate hearing people chewing, turns my stomach. That doesn't mean I have misophonia. I just don't like sloppy eaters.

Reactions: 35
I am not saying anything new here, but I am pretty appalled by Jack’s behaviour around the Full Time Meals campaign today. If ever I feel bad in future about scrutinising Jack on this forum, I will remind myself of this.

To me, this reveals Jack’s true motivation in life - praise, media exposure, self promotion, and monetising all of that. Only a couple of weeks ago Jack was snarkily telling a supportive squig who had pulled up another blue-ticker that “my pronouns are ‘trying to make sure vulnerable people have decent food and safe housing’ thanks” - so why aren’t you doing that here Jack? WHY? You have retweeted other rubbish today for lols, but can’t manage to bring yourself to retweet a single thing in support of MR and TK’s campaign because you are so jealous and your ego won’t allow you to. But funnily enough, you can find the time to martyr yourself in replies saying you have been involved but just don’t like to shout about everything. Okay then.

I can’t even with these flying monkeys - the lack of generosity and critical thinking skills is astounding.

And it is extremely gratifying that MR and TK won’t get involved in some low level Twitter “humpf, Jack thought of it first, not fair” noise because they know that would bring negativity to the campaign and rather than adulation and a quick buck, their focus is genuinely on helping those who need it, because they *know* what it’s like to be a child who needs fed.

• Heart
Reactions: 83
This made me a bit teary. I am hormonal and given to teariness (and bleeping massive spots on my chin) this week, but still. He's just so lovely and this whole campaign has been so well thought out. I love that MR and presumably the team are using his inexperience to show that it's ok to try stuff and not do it perfectly first time (poor MR - not one and done like some of us), and that they've thought about how best to reach the people they're trying to reach (turns out Twitter not quite the centre of everyone's world). It's beautifully done, and it's all so charming and decent and wholesome. It's large scale kindness and care and understanding and I am so here for it.

You know what might be cool - if the world becomes a bit more normal again, though there's ways round it if not, I guess online would work - would be to take this and drive it into communities, embed it, by training up a small army of volunteer cookery teachers who could continue it on, for their own communities, and run small classes for kids or even parents that regularly update the skills. If it was a charity thing you could use donations to potentially buy ingredients for students and get food safety certificates etc for volunteers. Cooking classes aren't revolutionary I grant you, but with the backing of this campaign I reckon you could get close to making them cool(ish).
Amazing idea!

Reactions: 15
I think she may have been involved in the planning stages, her name was thrown into the hat as chef sidekick to MR, and laughter ensues. All the tales of her unprofessionalism and snarky attitude, her weird, obsessive nature with higher ups, the lies upon lies to cover up her Tory, middle class background, and was never really poor/homeless to boot!

That is where her involvement ended in the programme.
This seems very likely. And she does say “I have been involved” - past tense.
I note the press coverage says Marcus and Tom are teaming up with “other celebrities”, so no doubt there will be other people appearing in the videos and showing their support. Kid-friendly celebrities presumably. I’d be surprised if this included Jack. (It might include Allegra though, as she does junior cooking shows - how about that 😂).
Maybe Tom thought they might use one of Jack’s recipes - but thought better of it when he saw what was on offer. After all, this is all about encouraging an interest in cooking, not putting you off for life.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42

Mental Health Twitter is largely a figurative bunch of first year Psychology undergrads. I lived with one for two years at uni and boy was that a hoot.

eta: no offence to any first year psych students but you know the sort I mean, my guy spent a while insisting I couldn't have OCD because I wasn't displaying Howard Hughes levels of cleanliness and general neuroticism.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.