Jack Monroe #182 Extraneous brine

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the point of TK and MR being involved (and I may be completely wrong) is that they came from poor backgrounds and also have a lived experience of living in food poverty. Oddly, JM didn’t.
Tom and Marcus have a genuine experience of being poor. Both have gone on to be successful in their careers. Meanwhile Jacky has lied about her upbringing, magnified a time when she chose to struggle and doesn’t have a career successful or otherwise (unless she considers scamming vulnerable trusting people as a career). She is loathsome.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 57
I've always thought that a lot of the Jack defenders don't really follow her recipes. Most of us, once we know how to cook, change recipes without even thinking about it.

Like...you know how almost every recipe in the world underestimates the time it takes to soften onions? We just automatically cook the onions for longer, without really thinking about it. We change cooking time, fiddle with ingredients and quantities, and so on.

I think a lot of squiggles probably do this. They start with a Jack recipe but, in the process of making it, tweak and alter until it's very different from what appears on the page. Then at the end they go, "Great recipe!"

Meanwhile, if you don't already know how to cook, you follow the instructions to the letter and end up with something inedible.

Reactions: 60
I think that these are mainly the people who think Jacks recipes are wonderful for other people
I’ve always believed that Jack literally would not have her career were it not for the Guardian unquestioningly giving her a platform, simply because her food seems like the kind of food poor people should be making.

Doesn’t matter if it looks or sounds unappetising/uses weird combos of ingredients. Beggars can’t be choosers, guys 🙃

Now, off you pop and make yourself some kidney bean and pineapple curry.

1A069136-7343-4895-8731-44B8AFACA885.jpeg

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Tom and Marcus have a genuine experience of being poor. Both have gone on to be successful in their careers. Meanwhile Jacky has lied about her upbringing, magnified a time when she chose to struggle and doesn’t have a career successful or otherwise (unless she considers scamming vulnerable trusting people as a career). She is loathsome.
exactly, I don't understand how anyone with any experience of being poor could accept patreon money from people who are clearly poor themselves it is so awful

• Heart
Reactions: 53
That bothered me too. Never mind how patronising and presumptuous is it. I just have visions of the sellotape peeling off important information, like instructions or use-by dates, from the packaging,
Yes something about that really annoyed me. I think it is the blanket assumption that because someone needs help affording food they must not know how to cook. Fair enough, if you were a regular volunteer at a food bank and in conversation it came up that someone wanted advice then go for it. But I can imagine being really pissed off about receiving my package with a recipe for some slop stuck to the back of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Kidney bean and pineapple? Separately, love them both. I just can't get my head around how they would taste together.

I love dipping a sharp cheese in some strawberry jam, I'm fond of a chocolate pretzel with rock salt but no way am I trying that thing.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
That's another thing for me that belies the whole 'strike a light, I grew up working class, me!' schtick.

None of Jack's meals are simple or tasty. Or a replica of anything you would eat growing up in a working class family. Even when we only had oven cooked frozen stuff for tea at least it was tasty. My Mum didn't start to get into cooking until we were older and could keep ourselves occupied (plus they had a bit more disposable income for ingredients)

Dad still doesn't cook he just 'helps' Mum. It's all that older generation stuff. But the food my Mum makes now is tasty simple stuff.

If I had been presented any of Jack's food growing up I would have pretended to eat it and hidden it in a tissue 🤢

It still baffles me that even though Jack's old blogs reveal she considered herself middle class back then she prefers to pilfer an identity that isn't hers now to sell more books/be heard.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
I'm still at a puzzle with Jack being so ashamed going to a foodbank ONCE, yet, being totally fine with instantly broadcasting her 'terrible ordeal' on her blog, and then mainstream media outlets. Ten years later and she is still bleating on about that ONE time.

Charlatan.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 62
Jack’s biggest problem is that she COULD have been a part of all this, but she’s too bloody lazy to do anything properly. She got a BBC presenting job, and fucked up the first week. Got a slot on ITV, and didn’t bother doing a practise, so ended up with big silences and raw pasta. Same for Hellman’s, Linda McC and Del Monte - just woefully unprepared. Spent the pandemic whinging about butter and cooking anchovy slop, duck eggs, and pomegranate seeds instead of doing anything useful - her lockdown larder, which might have actually helped got abandoned whenever she needed a Dino nap.

She was even handed a golden opportunity on the school meals fiasco from the very beginning, but instead of posting easy cheap meals, compiling £15 food box content lists, and doing a shopping and meal planner, all she wanted to do was go on telly and shout a bit about it.

She’s completely bloody useless.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 74
Marcus was interviewed on the 1pm BBC news just now, talking about budget cooking and learning life skills.

In other news, there have been reports of howling and gnashing from a crappy bungalow in Southend.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
I think Jack was claiming to be on testosterone when it was 'falling out in clumps', which is a common side effect. I never really saw the bald patches Jack was claiming to have. Looked normal, maybe a little thin.
She claimed it was falling out in clumps last year after Louisa Compton left. That was her reason for shaving it off in May.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I’ve always believed that Jack literally would not have her career were it not for the Guardian unquestioningly giving her a platform, simply because her food seems like the kind of food poor people should be making.

Doesn’t matter if it looks or sounds unappetising/uses weird combos of ingredients. Beggars can’t be choosers, guys 🙃

Now, off you pop and make yourself some kidney bean and pineapple curry.

View attachment 541294
SO mnay of her recipes are like this, why not make the kidney bean curry and have the pineapple for dessert rather than a totally inedible meal?!

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Really hate this kind of rhetoric. It’s so divisive and reductive. So what if Tom Kerridge doesn’t have the lived experience of food poverty? He’s using his resource, know how and influence to help others who do.
Tom Kerridge, like Marcus, was on free school meals as a child. Whereas Jack was being ferried to ballet lessons in mummy’s Range Rover. So I would say he knows what he’s talking about. Plus he arranged and provided 80,000 free meals to keyworkers and the vulnerable during lockdown, while Jack did nowt. You have to wonder about these squiggles sometimes.

• Heart
Reactions: 84
Tom Kerridge, like Marcus, was on free school meals as a child. Whereas Jack was being ferried to ballet lessons in mummy’s Range Rover. So I would say he knows what he’s talking about. Plus he arranged and provided 80,000 free meals to keyworkers and the vulnerable during lockdown, while Jack did nowt. You have to wonder about these squiggles sometimes.
I also don't think you necessarily need lived experience to educate people on something, you can educate yourself on issues, talk to people who have experienced them etc

• Heart
Reactions: 44
It's funny isn't it. Marcus and Tom both had genuinely poor childhoods, but have both done well for themselves, and are managing to campaign against poverty without pretending to still be poor themselves. We're not sitting here scrutinising whether they have big houses or a posh car, because they never claimed to still be poor, and secondly, aren't begging the public for money.

Honestly, ten years since that blog post and people seem to think Jack still needs to be the centre of every conversation about food banks, budget recipes etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
It's funny isn't it. Marcus and Tom both had genuinely poor childhoods, but have both done well for themselves, and are managing to campaign against poverty without pretending to still be poor themselves. We're not sitting here scrutinising whether they have big houses or a posh car, because they never claimed to still be poor, and secondly, aren't begging the public for money.

Honestly, ten years since that blog post and people seem to think Jack still needs to be the centre of every conversation about food banks, budget recipes etc.
Spot on. It isnt about them, but everything Jack does is still about her

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.