Jack Monroe #179 Emotionally charged and ends with the threat of a lawyer

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know why I'm so shocked by this, but it def confirms all my suspicions that she's an extremely controlling partner. Not normal, not healthy. Imagine a guy writing like this to his girlfriend. Lots of alarm bells and red flags, but particularly the Don't. Do. Anything. Else bit.

If questioned on this she'd say she was just being caring and thorough because her poor little gf would be so helpless without her careful notes. BS. This is controlling, narc language and there is no justification for it. I wouldn't leave instructions like this to my kids.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 111
I don't know why I'm so shocked by this, but it def confirms all my suspicions that she's an extremely controlling partner. Not normal, not healthy. Imagine a guy writing like this to his girlfriend. Lots of alarm bells and red flags, but particularly the Don't. Do. Anything. Else bit.

If questioned on this she'd say she was just being caring and thorough because her poor little gf would be so helpless without her careful notes. BS. This is controlling, narc language and there is no justification for it. I wouldn't leave instructions like this to my kids.
The irony of Jack giving recipe guidance and strictly saying that the recipe should not be deviated from. Er, Jack?

• Haha
Reactions: 59
1 bunch of spring onions - WHITE NOT RED

How readily available are red spring onions - did that need to be clarified in caps?! Who uses spring onions as the 'base' of a curry anyway. Hilarious that this recipe sounds so patronising, self-important and overly complicated when it also sounds so incredibly tit. It's just slop.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 97
You're meant to stand over a pot, stare into it, and count to 120? IT'S A NO FROM ME.

The Blair Witch Project Almost Had a Far More Gruesome Ending (UPDATED WITH  VIDEO)

(Sorry, random photo, but the very thought of it kind of reminds me of the last scene from the Blair Witch Project).

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 75
1 bunch of spring onions - WHITE NOT RED

How readily available are red spring onions - did that need to be clarified in caps?! Who uses spring onions as the 'base' of a curry anyway. Hilarious that this recipe sounds so patronising, self-important and overly complicated when it also sounds so incredibly tit. It's just slop.
That seems like a callback to a private joke (more likely argument) between them.

What a horrible way to write anything down. This makes me despair for sb even more!

• Sad
Reactions: 49
Wouldn’t it all be in one of the many copies of her own cookbooks she has at home? Also, for LJC to reach her 40s and not know how to cook, maybe she just DOESN’T WANT TO. I’ve got friends - successful women like Louisa who work very hard and do long hours in central London who can pop to M&S for a salad or something from Borough Market to pick at or stick in the oven and they are absolutely fine with it. Or they get deliveroo or pop to a nice deli or whatever they bloody well want to eat! She lived this long before Jack without being coerced into making that slop for herself! Pie Jesu!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 96
(L) Jesus bleeping Christ. She is awful. Who would put up with that?? That’s not even a joke, a joke would be a normal recipe with one mention of “the knife is the pointy one” or something.
'Dont pick up your phone. Don't. Tit. About.' She's saying this to a woman who has reached one of the highest levels of her chosen profession and who is 1000 times more accomplished, educated, hard-working and intelligent than her. She infantilises and talks down to Louisa, probably for those exact reasons. Manipulative and mean, under the guise of 'joking'.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 132
Wouldn’t it all be in one of the many copies of her own cookbooks she has at home? Also, for LJC to reach her 40s and not know how to cook, maybe she just DOESN’T WANT TO. I’ve got friends - successful women like Louisa who work very hard and do long hours in central London who can pop to M&S for a salad or something from Borough Market to pick at or stick in the oven and they are absolutely fine with it. Or they get deliveroo or pop to a nice deli or whatever they bloody well want to eat! She lived this long before Jack without being coerced into making that slop for herself! Pie Jesu!
Even if she wanted to learn how to cook, trying to do so while in a relationship with Jack would be impossible. And awful. Ugh, my stomach's actually churning after reading those instructions, and for once not at the thought of the finished dish. Although there's that, too.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 70

Wow. How patronising (referring to the recipe instructions here)

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Do we know how the dish turned out? Can imagine Jack finding a fault, any one will do, and sniping all night at Lord LJC for not following her instructions.

• Sad
Reactions: 32
Sometimes I think we go too far speculating about the nature of her relationship.

And then we see THAT.

A relative of mine was in a marriage based on coercive control. Her husband dictated to her (up to telling her what hairstyle to get and choosing her outfits), micromanaged her, belittled and humiliated her. Her story has a happy ending (SHE LEFT and married a truly wonderful man) but so many don't.

I want to be able to laugh at Jack's nonsense, but here I can't.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 92
Teaching your partner something, or being taught by them, can be fraught enough in happy relationships. Unless it's in a montage in a romcom, it's going to end in tears, and even then hands-on pottery or pool demonstrations are kinda sleazy/creepy. But that recipe Jack wrote out is truly a chapter of 50 Shades of Slop.

• Sad
Reactions: 49
The thing with cooking, and especially when teaching someone a new skill, the idea is to get them to feel comfortable in their new endeavour - as such, a bit of creativity and the acceptance that mistakes will be made are part of the deal of being a teacher, no one learnt anything without making a few mistakes along the way. This isn’t teaching, what she’s doing is essentially demanding that it be cooked exactly to her liking, the question is, what are the implications if the student fails?

• Sad
Reactions: 54
'Dont pick up your phone. Don't. Tit. About.' She's saying this to a woman who has reached one of the highest levels of her chosen profession and who is 1000 times more accomplished, educated, hard-working and intelligent than her. She infantilises and talks down to Louisa, probably for those exact reasons. Manipulative and mean, under the guise of 'joking'.
If this is typical of the dynamic within their relationship (and I feel like it probably is) then it’s bleeping toxic.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
the question is, what are the implications if the student fails?
Obvs this is speculation, but I think we can see a glimpse of that in the WHITE NOT RED spring onion instruction. I imagine Louisa being asked to get spring onions, she thinks the red ones will be nice, but Jack throws a strop and never allows her to forget about it. Despite the fact that an onion is an onion is an onion #onionpolice

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 74
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.