Jack Monroe #171 Just discovered her and think she’s horrid

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Political commentator - my arse! She is what my old Dad used to call a ‘gob on a stick’. Makes lots of noise but achieves little.

She’s flip-flopped between political parties and wimped out from standing for election. My wheely bin is more politically active than she is.
Now that is a thread title My wheely bin is more politically active than she is.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
My final dive into the archives (can you tell I've had very little to do the last couple of days?).

Context: one of the many reasons why Jack sucks professionally is her failure to establish a consistent brand. Her Twitter handle has changed several times, and her appearance changes drastically between book covers.

Her website has changed, too. She shot to "fame" with agirlcalledjack.com and is now cookingonabootstrap.com and sometimes jackmonroe.com, but that doesn't always work.

But between them, she had a brief period (literally a couple of months) as jackatapinch.com. This was right after she came out as trans, and the heady blend of rinsed beans and gender issues is quite something.

I mean no disrespect to any members of the cabal who have experience of gender dysphoria. It's hard to see this without being reminded of her vegan period. Jack threw herself headfirst into something, positioned herself as an expert voice, then went back on it and now only brings it up when there's money or kudos involved. This seems extremely far from most trans people's experience, and I'm sorry that Jack is still seen by some as a spokesperson for your community.

Jack is profiled by The Times: https://web.archive.org/web/2015111...mation-of-jack-monroe-the-times-november-2015

Here we learn that Jack likes both sharks and Disney princesses, which is unfathomable. How can such a thing be true? As a laydee, I must be surrounded by pink florals at all times, and Jack's edginess scares me. Interestingly, when this article takes place she is both currently taking testosterone and awaiting her first appointment at the gender clinic, which is...odd medical practice.

Bonus points: reference to a chaos in which she broke her foot and couldn't work; retelling of the Poverty; claims that model agencies (plural) told her she had the perfect face but was too short and should lose weight. Would the weight loss make her a foot taller? She also rails against the sexualisation of women, saying that Deliciously Ella and the Hemsley sisters, like other women in the public eye, "look identical" (#BeKind) but that Nigella Lawson does her own thing and is not sexualised at all. Right then.

Jack fights back against a troll letter in the Southend Echo:

I am a twice-published author with a best selling book. I am a campaigner for Oxfam and the Trussell Trust and have raised over £50,000 for Street Child United, the Trussell Trust, the YMCA, Stonewall, The Food Chain and Oxfam through various fundraisers, mostly involving me starving myself for a week for charity, sleeping on a cardboard box on the floor of a car park, or catering large and complex events free of charge. I am an ambassador for Oxfam and a patron of The Food Chain. I am a mother. I am a journalist. I am a campaigner, forcing a debate on food banks in the House of Commons by getting 140,000 signatures on a petition in a matter of days, and travelling to Tanzania to interview female farmers in the rice fields of Morogoro. I have attended the G8 summit, spoken at Conservative Party conference, and Labour, and the Greens, and the Peoples Assembly. I have been on BBC Question Time. I have cooked dinner for Claudia Roden, Mary Portas, Clare Balding, Sue Perkins and dessert for Bill Nighy (but not all at once). I do write a blog, yes, but it is a fraction of what I do.

Shame it's too long for a thread title.

Here she lashes out against people who use Twitter too much. Interestingly, the letter writer has the same name - Peter - as the troll this January who emailed her to tell her how much he hates single mothers at the height of free school meals.

Jack gives up her smartphone: https://web.archive.org/web/2018012...r-a-nokia-3310-and-radically-changed-my-life/

WARNING: This opens with all-caps messages Jack claims to have received. They include a very strong racial slur, as well as other disgusting ableist and sexist language.

Basically the same as her vegan article but with tweets instead of meats.

Jack was poor, if you've forgotten:

She had to choose between heating and eating "almost constantly" in 2012 and 2013. The timeline disagrees.

Jack launches a Kickstarter:

Historic! Book 3 "is nearly written". It would only take two more years to see the light of day...

There are a few other posts feuding with the Daily Mail or offering recipes (slop has no gender), but these were my highlights. I hope you enjoy picking over them like Jack on a pile of ribs at the height of her meat addiction.
When you see it all together it really reminds you of what a lying gobshite Jack is.

Reactions: 33
🔺️ I was scouted by a modelling agency, but I was too focused on my studies to pursue it. I only told my mum and my boyfriend.

I love when Poca goes off topic, feels so rebellious now Poca is mod

On topic: my sister very kindly offered to loan me her extensive collection of Jack's books as my pay was messed up, she was most confused when I told her to duck off politely declined.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
Matt on Daily Kitchen has just said to a chef "I thought you'd gone mad with the lemons." (and another lemon comment I can't remember just before it).

The chef and Matt all laughed knowingly....

I wonder if he's still sharing his horror stories of our hallowed Jack and The Lockdown Lemon Debacle?

• Haha
Reactions: 48
I was just scrolling Instagram and noticed that Chetna Makan had done a 30 minute live as a discussion between her and a patisserier. Around 3500 viewers compared to Jack's pitiful non-canal few. Not even a recipe or a puffed partnership, just a conversation.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
I don’t think it’ll happen. I genuinely never thought Strictly would turn people down but it gave me hope that they turned Jack down!

I was a bit 😬 about her turning up last year, what with the roaring success of DKL and the announcement there would be a same sex couple. But alas.
I don't watch strictly. I watched the first series but it's just a bit meh now.

I honestly don't think shes known enough even for strictly. Apart from the very odd mention you rarely hear her name about and when it is its normally no more than a mere passing. Most of the people I know especially the older most likely to watch day time telly have never heard of her and the ones who I have actually showed pictures to just look at me a bit blank.

She's really only famous in her own little corners of the internet. She gets work but it always seems like a rushed job like they have out her in to fill out time or something. Perhaps I'm wrong but that the impression I get.

Reactions: 35
Matt on Daily Kitchen has just said to a chef "I thought you'd gone mad with the lemons." (and another lemon comment I can't remember just before it).

The chef and Matt all laughed knowingly....

I wonder if he's still sharing his horror stories of our hallowed Jack and The Lockdown Lemon Debacle?
Wild garlic mention too. If only they showed a botanical drawing of the stuff, then Jack could identify her garden plant!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
This is a bit awks! They're responding to Jack's 'Tag the most wholesome, genuinely lovely accounts' tweet.

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.17.50.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 74
I don't watch strictly. I watched the first series but it's just a bit meh now.

I honestly don't think shes known enough even for strictly. Apart from the very odd mention you rarely hear her name about and when it is its normally no more than a mere passing. Most of the people I know especially the older most likely to watch day time telly have never heard of her and the ones who I have actually showed pictures to just look at me a bit blank.

She's really only famous in her own little corners of the internet. She gets work but it always seems like a rushed job like they have out her in to fill out time or something. Perhaps I'm wrong but that the impression I get.
There are certainly contestants I didn’t think they would have now, although I guess it’s mostly people they’re using to try and attract a younger audience.

A few years ago I would have said “absolutely no chance” but if the new producer was inclined to think - over 250k followers on Twitter ☑, has worked for the BBC in the last couple of years ☑ and is in the LGBTQ+ community ☑ then you never know.

Hopefully the Producer would also do research (including how they are on camera!) though. And all this moot because she would have the last laugh and kick them in the shins if they asked her now...

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Received a presentation at work which was reflecting on the difficulties and gaps in our service and also about changes to (gov) policy. Alexis Quinn was mentioned in how she felt let down by our line of work. She had a period of three years in various wards under the Mental Health Act and a diagnosis of autism.
I looked her up and watched an interview with her/read a bit and although I do need to do more digging (so any Frau or Herr who know more, please chip in) she strikes me more as the Marcus Rashford type. Advocating as a peer/experience advocate in a measured, calm way without all the roaring, crying, clawing etc. Alexis Quinn's autism doesn't come across like a 'quirky personality trait'.
I dread Jack eventually attempting to shoehorn her way into the mental health/learning disabilities field.

P.s a few have mentioned how they see elements of themselves in Jack which makes these threads very interesting for self reflection. I totally agree. It feels so cringe and I haven't even mentioned it in CBT (not sure how I would even explain this tbh) so it's very much a journey I am making on my own.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I was just scrolling Instagram and noticed that Chetna Makan had done a 30 minute live as a discussion between her and a patisserier. Around 3500 viewers compared to Jack's pitiful non-canal few. Not even a recipe or a puffed partnership, just a conversation.
I suspect that's because Chetna's followers are interested in food, while Jack's followers are interested in feeling good about themselves for Helping The Poor.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Chetna’s just done a YouTube recipe for Waitrose of chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow frosting that look delicious and worth trying c

• Wow
Reactions: 21
"those who take Twitter so very seriously should probably go for a walk or join a book club or take up meditation. There is a whole world out there not limited to the inane 140 character ramblings of the mostly-media-circle. Go on. Read. duck. Bake. Log off. Wind down."

- Had to check my glasses and read it a few times until I believed my eyes, but that's Jack Monroe giving someone else the advice to use twitter less. What a nutter.
I realised recently that the things that annoy me most about other people tend to be issues that I'm guilty of myself, it's been a great tool for personal development, alongside asking myself 'what would Jack do?' in certain situations and then doing the polar opposite.

Jack may one day have this realisation but I won't hold my breath

ETA: god I love the viggles 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Social media in today's world gives everyone a voice. So what she does in regards to campaigning is no better than others. She just has a slightly bigger following, however she often doesn't have the engagement to compliment it.

Today everyone's an activist, everyone can shout for justice but not many people actually DO anything about it. That's where I get annoyed. Where's all the lobbying, where's all the endless letters to MPs, where's all the activist campaigning that our forefathers did where they actually worked for change and not just shook their fist at the injustices of it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I suspect that's because Chetna's followers are interested in food, while Jack's followers are interested in feeling good about themselves for Helping The Poor.
Exactly this. Chetna is friends with a mate of mine because we are in the same neck of the woods. By all accounts she is lovely.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.