Jack Monroe #171 Just discovered her and think she’s horrid

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok I've looked at the contributions page for that user and it seems that between February 15th and 23rd 2014 they went on a little spree of adding references to Debbie McGee to random Wikipedia pages.

I regret that inform you that Jack Monroe is not and has never been Debbie McGee's best friend ☹ But hey, there's hope for the future!
Do you think Debbie would like it? Not a lot!

• Haha
Reactions: 52
The random Debbie McGee thing has got me HOOTING. Wonder if Jack likes alsatians? (If you know, you know)

She’s.... she’s finally taken the wheelchair emojI out of her Twitter bio!!

View attachment 501228

edited to add, updated again...

View attachment 501230
"Still working out what to write in this bit..."
Just...why? Isn't a bio on Twitter something most people set up once, then only amend when something noteworthy happens? Like, she does realise you don't HAVE to change it every couple of days or Twitter close your account?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 58
New bio as of 4.49am.

At least that Cotswolds supply issue might give her a chance of experiencing actual abstinence from an addiction 🤷🏻‍♀️

2C52F16C-7E0B-4983-9020-396DEEEE71F9.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 49
‘Tin can superfan’. Hahaha.

Dra Mar Superstar. At least that flipping wheelchair emoji has left.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 80
Political commentator? Que? Twitter rants like my auntie Anne (only for a larger following) does not make you a political commentator.

• Haha
Reactions: 53
Loool that ship has really fucked em, 15-16 weeks?! The only coffee table in the world to have passed through its own first trimester

10AFD4E3-813D-48B3-BEDC-F0C400F3C541.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 64
"Political commentator"
Oh please Tory Boy Jack, writing something vile about David Cameron's son, Jeremy Corbyn, and then apologising? Hardly Marie Colvin love.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
Calling herself a political commentator is so prepostourus, as much as calling herself an activist.

She never posts anything clever about politics. Never an analysis, just trotting out the same story (although details might vary and the timeline is...eh.. flexible) about her own 'poverty', embelished with quasi-emotional word salads. Or being super angry about food parcels when she can jump on that bandwagon, but even then there is nothing political about what she shouts.

I've not seen her post anything about, for example, this week the supreme court ruling that shop floor staff at Asda can be compared to workers in the distribution centre for the purposes of equal pay. That's a big (and positive!) development if you care about things like, low income households? She even worked at Asda ffs.

Why doesn't she tweet about the good things organisations like the Big Issue does with their 'ride out recession alliance', facilitating organisations accross the political spectrum to work together to make sure people are not going to lose their homes and keep people in employment in this horrible time.

Why, as a person why keeps on moaning about being in a RENTED place does she not share resources about tenants rights?

She has no interest in how others organise to make a change, so why the duck does she call herself a political commentator or previously and activist?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 81
If anything could bring Jack and Debbie McGhee together as BFFs it’s Strictly. C’mon Strictly Producers, take Jack up on her offer!

Saturday morning fun fact, Mr Lenny and I were in the audience when Debbie McGhee did her rumba!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
My final dive into the archives (can you tell I've had very little to do the last couple of days?).

Context: one of the many reasons why Jack sucks professionally is her failure to establish a consistent brand. Her Twitter handle has changed several times, and her appearance changes drastically between book covers.

Her website has changed, too. She shot to "fame" with agirlcalledjack.com and is now cookingonabootstrap.com and sometimes jackmonroe.com, but that doesn't always work.

But between them, she had a brief period (literally a couple of months) as jackatapinch.com. This was right after she came out as trans, and the heady blend of rinsed beans and gender issues is quite something.

I mean no disrespect to any members of the cabal who have experience of gender dysphoria. It's hard to see this without being reminded of her vegan period. Jack threw herself headfirst into something, positioned herself as an expert voice, then went back on it and now only brings it up when there's money or kudos involved. This seems extremely far from most trans people's experience, and I'm sorry that Jack is still seen by some as a spokesperson for your community.

Jack is profiled by The Times: https://web.archive.org/web/2015111...mation-of-jack-monroe-the-times-november-2015

Here we learn that Jack likes both sharks and Disney princesses, which is unfathomable. How can such a thing be true? As a laydee, I must be surrounded by pink florals at all times, and Jack's edginess scares me. Interestingly, when this article takes place she is both currently taking testosterone and awaiting her first appointment at the gender clinic, which is...odd medical practice.

Bonus points: reference to a chaos in which she broke her foot and couldn't work; retelling of the Poverty; claims that model agencies (plural) told her she had the perfect face but was too short and should lose weight. Would the weight loss make her a foot taller? She also rails against the sexualisation of women, saying that Deliciously Ella and the Hemsley sisters, like other women in the public eye, "look identical" (#BeKind) but that Nigella Lawson does her own thing and is not sexualised at all. Right then.

Jack fights back against a troll letter in the Southend Echo:

I am a twice-published author with a best selling book. I am a campaigner for Oxfam and the Trussell Trust and have raised over £50,000 for Street Child United, the Trussell Trust, the YMCA, Stonewall, The Food Chain and Oxfam through various fundraisers, mostly involving me starving myself for a week for charity, sleeping on a cardboard box on the floor of a car park, or catering large and complex events free of charge. I am an ambassador for Oxfam and a patron of The Food Chain. I am a mother. I am a journalist. I am a campaigner, forcing a debate on food banks in the House of Commons by getting 140,000 signatures on a petition in a matter of days, and travelling to Tanzania to interview female farmers in the rice fields of Morogoro. I have attended the G8 summit, spoken at Conservative Party conference, and Labour, and the Greens, and the Peoples Assembly. I have been on BBC Question Time. I have cooked dinner for Claudia Roden, Mary Portas, Clare Balding, Sue Perkins and dessert for Bill Nighy (but not all at once). I do write a blog, yes, but it is a fraction of what I do.

Shame it's too long for a thread title.

Here she lashes out against people who use Twitter too much. Interestingly, the letter writer has the same name - Peter - as the troll this January who emailed her to tell her how much he hates single mothers at the height of free school meals.

Jack gives up her smartphone: https://web.archive.org/web/2018012...r-a-nokia-3310-and-radically-changed-my-life/

WARNING: This opens with all-caps messages Jack claims to have received. They include a very strong racial slur, as well as other disgusting ableist and sexist language.

Basically the same as her vegan article but with tweets instead of meats.

Jack was poor, if you've forgotten:

She had to choose between heating and eating "almost constantly" in 2012 and 2013. The timeline disagrees.

Jack launches a Kickstarter:

Historic! Book 3 "is nearly written". It would only take two more years to see the light of day...

There are a few other posts feuding with the Daily Mail or offering recipes (slop has no gender), but these were my highlights. I hope you enjoy picking over them like Jack on a pile of ribs at the height of her meat addiction.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 89
Political commentator - my arse! She is what my old Dad used to call a ‘gob on a stick’. Makes lots of noise but achieves little.

She’s flip-flopped between political parties and wimped out from standing for election. My wheely bin is more politically active than she is.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
She never teases, promotes or mentions her next book or appearance etc in her bio either - which, going on the weekly update, would be easy enough to do. “Coming soon - Look out for my new book about XYZ” or - “Check out my latest video - how to make delicious (!) XYZ - on a budget”. You know the sort of thing.

Still, very glad to see the emoji gone. I am fortunate to be in relatively good physical health, despite lockdown not being helpful for various bad habits. I can imagine how awful it must feel seeing Army Yomp Jack cosplaying as a wheelchair user. It kills me enoug when she does her ouchy mouth, pass the Difflam routine!

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Can you even imagine telling EVERYONE that model agencies said you had the perfect face? If that happened to me (it wouldn’t) I would maybe tell my mum. She is so full of herself. It’s soooo embarrassing.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
So whens the new book out? Is it normal to hear not a sausage when you have sent one to be published?! Do authors not talk about it all the time, my new book is currently being stapled together, it's currently going through more eediting, my book was binned my book is currently being translated.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
‘Tin can superfan’. Hahaha.

Dra Mar Superstar. At least that flipping wheelchair emoji has left.
She has obviously grunked and realised how out of place the emoji was

‘Political commentator’ haha!

she must have been absolutely fuming when MOM made Ash Sarker’s fish finger dish!

Reactions: 26
nice to see you 🙂. but you're right to pace yourself, there's many more crimes to come 🥴
Oh dear lord...

Are the other food crimes on par with anchoiade egg? Sorry, sorry it's a bit early in the morning to mention that particular horror without a spoiler, when my own barf reflex is still on a hair trigger after the worms in bin juice atrocity, but I couldn't get the spoiler to work :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.