Jack Monroe #170 Outrageous grifting dirtbag

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Whenever I see Jack praising meat or fish I think of her 'I've gone vegan and no looking back' takes, like this one: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/28/jack-monroe-meat-vegan-food-ingredients
I count 50 instances of "I" (including "I'm" and "I've").

Also stuffed with solid gold eg

"A few weeks ago, I was reading my old copy of Camellia Panjabi’s 50 Great Curries of India like a novel, as I so often do with cookery books." Pretentious, moi?

"a sweet potato rösti rolling around in a hot dhansak sauce is a beautiful thing" pics or it didn't happen

"When friends invited me for lunch last week, and lunch was chicken, I realised in my keenness to blog and Instagram my vegan journey, I had forgotten to tell the real-life people who mattered." How out of character

eta I'm ready for a new thread title, have had Grifting Dirtbag (tune of Teenage Dirtbag) stuck in my head for too long.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 47
I loved This is My House, although it was obvious within about 2 mins whose house it was (and the celebs still got it wrong!).

• Haha
Reactions: 19
This is so well-written. Well done for working through it (I hope that doesn't sound patronising, I really don't mean it to - I've seen the effects of long-term alcoholism, and the more people who seek help early, the better).
Oh bless and thank you @nightfeedz, I should have finished that with obviously that is one person’s experience and interpretation not gospel, there are millions of ppl in recovery worldwide so obviously there are people that behave like her stereotype (that’s where it comes from after all) but it’s such a wider encompassing space than just that. It’s dangerous to make it seem so “other” IMO, it’s another form of therapy and recovery it should be open to all. And it is, you’ve got open meetings where ppl that don’t (yet) ID as an addict can attend!

• Heart
Reactions: 43
She's definitely angling for freebies with all those rhs tags the other day
RHS will suit Gardener Jack down to the ground. It's a very middle class/aristo organisation. My one and only visit to Wisley (headquarters) was a tight arsed Royal arselicking nightmare. The gardens were boring and unimaginative too. Kew is much much better.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
It's worth noting that her vegan epiphany article was published on the 28th of January. She says she had ham pie on New Year's Eve - so basically she hadn't yet completed a full Veganuary at the point that she declared herself spokesperson for veganism.

I think almost every vegan I know eased into it - went vegetarian, then cut out eggs, then gradually went off dairy etc. That seems a sensible approach, especially if you previously had a meat-heavy diet...but of course, far too dull for R Jackie.

She jumps into veganism, like gardening and everything else, like someone who makes a New Year's Resolution then immediately signs up for the most expensive gym around, hires a personal trainer, drops a couple of hundred quid on new workout gear, and sets the alarm for 5am. Failure is inevitable!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
RHS will suit Gardener Jack down to the ground. It's a very middle class/aristo organisation. My one and only visit to Wisley (headquarters) was a tight arsed Royal arselicking nightmare. The gardens were boring and unimaginative too. Kew is much much better.
Jack only throws her heart and soul into things she can spend big on and show off. She bought a load of plants from Tesco, and took some pictures of plants already established in the garden. That's the full extent of Gardener Jack.

I bet she tries to eat her pineapple plant too. Silly mare!

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I probably should have asked this a long time ago when I first didn't understand but I thought I'd eventually pick up what was going on.
Who or what is, 'Jack, not Jack?'
Sorry in advance if this is an irritating question.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Strictly innit! Or maybe that she’s authentically working class and very successful?
You'd think that she'd be encouraging a peer. Both young and attractive. Stacey can be absolute marmite too, getting all up in Jack's niche.

Reactions: 18
Loud exhale from me, don’t know if I should even write this but Jack’s cosplay of addiction is what keeps a lot of young people, particularly young women, out of recovery programs and I dislike her for it.

You’re told to listen to the similarities not the differences from day dot. Everyone’s situation looks different, eg someone at 20 likely hasn’t lost a wife house and kids cos... they’re bleeping 20 years old who has that at that point?! A woman won’t drink as much as a man cos we’ve literally got smaller bodies we can’t hold it in our tummies, there are people that drank tit tons of posh red wines and people that sniffed research chemicals they bought on the dark web, there’s really a vast breadth of experience out there but it all boils down the same mental health conditions & adverse responses that person chose to cope with them?

Jack’s recount of her tale just doesn’t make sense and is damaging (story of a lifetime ey!). You don’t need to drink 200 units a week, have lost it all, be hurting other people, etc etc to benefit from a recovery program. There’s so much more nuance to it all. Also labelling addicts as liabilities who hurt others is incredibly stigmatising.

Personally for me, I did very few of those things and I had very few amends to make. Yes I was a nightmare mate and a bit of a witch but I was in my early 20s, most people are 🤷🏻‍♀️ Nothing would have stuck out marking me out to be a mentalist, if anything quite the opposite I had a gr8 life in terms of achievements (felt like tit inside tho) - I wasn’t like that bloke from jackass chewing pills and drinking home brew and stapling my ballbag to my forehead (a top 3 descriptor for me would probably be neek and it’s always been that way). I don’t think I ever drank more than 2 bottles of white wine in any one sesh, no idea what constitutes a unit either. I was just a really mentally unwell, very sad young woman with a ton of unprocessed trauma from childhood who was progressively getting worse, constantly blacking out, spending time with ppl I ultimately hated and didn’t care about me, and acquiring a penchant for drugs to boot. Again, not that unusual for a young 20 something living with other young people working in the industry I did but none of them would wake up feeling suicidal, paranoid, and constantly anxious - and they could all pass on a bender and I couldn’t. If I wanted the life I now have, it involved a lot of therapy & abstinence so down that road I went! It doesn’t need to be a big old am dram, I’m not “out” to all my friends but the best ones know and I have outed myself to 2 people I’ve worked with who’ve needed similar interventions. Shockingly it’s not in the Twitter bio!

It’s damaging for Jack to put this type of content out in the media (and arguably why two of the traditions focus on 1. Anonymity of self 2. Anonymity in press) because it provides a shield of denial to young women who may be wondering about their own drinking. The focus needs to be on how does drinking & drugging make you feel, how is it influencing your life and your ability to progress, play this forward 5/10 years and what do you think about that, not how much can you down and are you doing shots through the eyeball. Believe it or not there are perfectly healthy people doing the latter, just for fun!

Although I continue to be amazed despite those volumes she required no physical medical detox and has no lasting conditions cos some of the tit I’ve heard has given me panic attacks it’s so horrifically gory. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Thank you for this. It's written beautifully. Someone I know through Twitter but have met a few times in real life, who is recovering and works in this field, tweets reminders every so often and one I like is not to worry about whether it's an addiction, that's just a name, but if you're repeating behaviours that you'd rather not, it's time to have a think about what is happening. I'm triangulating myself but he is a stand up performance artist too called Roy and he's always worth a listen; he was great on the Twoshot podcast talking about his background recently.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
after trawling through the wholly original and not-at-all-tory story of (this is cut and paste from the article)

"When I was a child, I once announced to my parents that I wanted to be vegetarian. A sensitive child – quirky, bookish – I was met with: “Don’t be silly. And finish your roast dinner”. So, out of respect for my parents, who worked hard to put that dinner on the table, I did."

you get to a hyperlinked "macabre bunny bucco". now, i was thinking to myself, this sounds quite nice and this is several years ago now, i'm sure the food looked better back then...

oh

View attachment 498364
I LOVE when Jack wistfully talks about her childhood like she was Matilda

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
I probably should have asked this a long time ago when I first didn't understand but I thought I'd eventually pick up what was going on.
Who or what is, 'Jack, not Jack?'
Sorry in advance if this is an irritating question.
NotJack is an Instagram account that was set up in January, claimed to be a new vegan, and went straight into defending Jack against the angry vegans on the Linda McCartney page.

Since then, the account has shared lots of photos of vegan food.

There is some circumstantial evidence suggesting that NotJack is Jack. Most notably:

* NotJack's first action on Instagram was to defend Jack. NotJack does not follow Jack, and would appear to have no real dog in this fight - so why jump in?

* NotJack claims to be a brand new vegan who started in Veganuary and is still going. However, immediately after appearing, some Frauen found that a Twitter account with exactly the same handle existed. The Twitter account hadn't posted in a couple of years, but claimed to be vegan.

* As soon as the Twitter account was mentioned here, it was deactivated.

* The Twitter account also featured complaints about trains, which is very Jackesque.

* NotJack continues to share food pics which share some characteristics with Jack's food, such as unusual ways of putting spread on bread or dumping a pile of coriander, stalks and all, into a dish.

No smoking gun, but room for doubt...

• Wow
Reactions: 60
Ugh I thought Linda McCartney had deleted some Jack posts but I had just scrolled too far back. 😂 Sorry for the false alarm!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Genuine question, as I have no idea how "centre-right" think tanks work, but would Jack get paid for this?

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 10.49.50.png

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.