Jack Monroe #170 Outrageous grifting dirtbag

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We should have seen Gardener Jack coming,it was only a matter of time (I mean, people started obsessing over gardening in their spare time LAST March so it's about right she's just got involved.)

I bet Gardeners World will give her one of their little 'my garden in lockdown' VT's šŸ™„
Not if Adam frost has any say!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Not-Jack's troll is annoying me. They are definitely not Sophie Conran bowls, they are Charlie Bingham (as confirmed up thread). I actually think Not-Jack is not Jack and I feel a bit sorry for them really. Niller, stop being a twit, you're not funny.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Not-Jack's troll is annoying me. They are definitely not Sophie Conran bowls, they are Charlie Bingham (as confirmed up thread). I actually think Not-Jack is not Jack and I feel a bit sorry for them really. Niller, stop being a twit, you're not funny.
Agreed (I think NotJack is Jack though, largely because of the hastily deleted Twitter account).

It also feels very strange and inappropriate for the troll to use that particular name.

Reactions: 36
Agreed (I think NotJack is Jack though, largely because of the hastily deleted Twitter account).

It also feels very strange and inappropriate for the troll to use that particular name.
I also agree. The name doesn't sit right and would make me think twice about expressing dislike of Jack/her grifting if I was a more prominent Twitter user. Which is actually the opposite of what we want!

I recommend not sharing screenshots of them because trolls live off attention.

Reactions: 29
There are no cast iron receipts that prove this person is Jack, and even if there were we keep it on Tattle.

So this is disappointing to hear and quite sad.

Reactions: 42
I agree - the food on this looks simple yet tasty & not trying to show off ā€˜bunging ā€˜everything in. Real Jack could learn from NotJack

Reactions: 18
I love the way everyone's ignored this apart from the squiggle who originally suggested her. But also, what a pointless reply. Great, you've got a few recipes for that, maybe link to one? Elaborate, somehow?

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 08.55.18.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 47
Whenever I see Jack praising meat or fish I think of her 'I've gone vegan and no looking back' takes, like this one: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/28/jack-monroe-meat-vegan-food-ingredients
I understood myself: the discomfort, the guilt, the addiction, the naughty thrill of a packet of bacon in the fridge, the promises to myself that it would be the last time. I behaved like an addict, with no thought for those I might have been hurting, just seeking my next high, my next slow-roasted pork belly, chicken skin caesar salad, slow bone broth. I hung out with friends who would indulge me, encourage me. And I needed to stop.

Meat Addict Jack makes me doubt Alcoholic Jack even more. Anyone who has lived with an alcoholic -or anyone who IS an alcoholic, I'm sure - would see this as an outrageously crass comparison.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 65
I understood myself: the discomfort, the guilt, the addiction, the naughty thrill of a packet of bacon in the fridge, the promises to myself that it would be the last time. I behaved like an addict, with no thought for those I might have been hurting, just seeking my next high, my next slow-roasted pork belly, chicken skin caesar salad, slow bone broth. I hung out with friends who would indulge me, encourage me. And I needed to stop.

Meat Addict Jack makes me doubt Alcoholic Jack even more. Anyone who has lived with an alcoholic -or anyone who IS an alcoholic, I'm sure - would see this as an outrageously crass comparison.
Love the way, also, that she can't help but blame others for indulging and encouraging her. Personal responsibility? <Mariah Carey gif> I don't know her.
ETA but I don't know how she doesn't die of embarrassment at writing this one month (for her beloved money, in a national newspaper) and then the next month pretending like it never happened.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Whenever I see Jack praising meat or fish I think of her 'I've gone vegan and no looking back' takes, like this one: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/28/jack-monroe-meat-vegan-food-ingredients

after trawling through the wholly original and not-at-all-tory story of (this is cut and paste from the article)

"When I was a child, I once announced to my parents that I wanted to be vegetarian. A sensitive child ā€“ quirky, bookish ā€“ I was met with: ā€œDonā€™t be silly. And finish your roast dinnerā€. So, out of respect for my parents, who worked hard to put that dinner on the table, I did."

you get to a hyperlinked "macabre bunny bucco". now, i was thinking to myself, this sounds quite nice and this is several years ago now, i'm sure the food looked better back then...

oh

Screenshot_20210325-090304_Chrome.jpg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
Green fingers jack, such a bore. Late to the party on this but that black pasta abomination šŸ¤¢ maybe itā€™s something that tastes nicer than it looks šŸ¤ŖšŸ¤Ŗ
šŸ¤£ you donā€™t honestly believe that do you? The majority of mackies food is either under or over cooked, vary rarely do the ingredients actually go together, let alone compliment/enhance each other (checks date)šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 24
This to me is the most fascinating thing about Jack. She's not just an average cook, she's actively terrible. Every single recipe has something wrong with it. Often it's the absolute basics: onions sitting around in cold oil, simmering pasta, never browning meat, not adding salt to bread...and of course the bƩchamel.

I reckon most adults can rustle up something edible. Jack can't. Her cooking skills aren't even average, they're wildly subpar - but this is how she makes a living?

It's particularly mad because cooking is a very basic skill. Sometimes I see sewing influencers who are a bit crap, but the vast majority of people don't sew and wouldn't notice the problems. But we all cook! We all eat! We all know what nice food looks like...and as Jack said to Marcus in her Down With The Kids phase, "That ain't it."
Re: how she makes her living, for now šŸ¤­ Her publishers have very likely not even recouped her advance & project costs for GFFBD, and the next nightmare that will have cost them even more. For all the puff pieces she does about herself in the Guardian how she was drunk and wailing and chucking tit at people earning significantly less than her, she forgets that these people are billing their hours to her project so ultimately itā€™s just her thatā€™ll suffer for it. So every time some one has to tweet her to pick up the phone, or have yet another zoom to sit through her excuses, thatā€™s another Ā£90-500 (depending on seniority of staff member) put against the project. Sheā€™ll fulfil the remainder of her contract and wonā€™t get renewed, small industry so no one else will be interested in the grief for 3k units at an avg price of Ā£6, thereā€™s a whole new generation of Instagrammers making aesthetic books that sell very well at a Ā£16.99 price point to be moving on with. She doesnā€™t even bother tweeting about the slop anymore. Sheā€™s just a Tory media mouthpiece now šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 63
I love the way everyone's ignored this apart from the squiggle who originally suggested her. But also, what a pointless reply. Great, you've got a few recipes for that, maybe link to one? Elaborate, somehow?

View attachment 498360
Nigella does a no churn bourbon salted caramel ice cream. I made it at Christmas with brandy in the freezer in a tub. Whisk cream and canned caramel and salt basically. Its on her website.
Google exists. Itā€™s really good at what it does. It is now a verb that means looking stuff up.
People are dumb

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 56

šŸ„ŗ is chicken skin Caesar a real thing? šŸ¤¢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
Nigella does a no churn bourbon salted caramel ice cream. I made it at Christmas with brandy in the freezer in a tub. Whisk cream and canned caramel and salt basically. Its on her website.
Google exists. Itā€™s really good at what it does. It is now a verb that means looking stuff up.
People are dumb
To be fair, the original poster got loads of really good suggestions from normal twitter users who don't call themselves food experts. Jack's was probably the most useless response of the bunch. Amazingly enough šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Re: how she makes her living, for now šŸ¤­ Her publishers have very likely not even recouped her advance & project costs for GFFBD, and the next nightmare that will have cost them even more. For all the puff pieces she does about herself in the Guardian how she was drunk and wailing and chucking tit at people earning significantly less than her, she forgets that these people are billing their hours to her project so ultimately itā€™s just her thatā€™ll suffer for it. So every time some one has to tweet her to pick up the phone, or have yet another zoom to sit through her excuses, thatā€™s another Ā£90-500 (depending on seniority of staff member) put against the project. Sheā€™ll fulfil the remainder of her contract and wonā€™t get renewed, small industry so no one else will be interested in the grief for 3k units at an avg price of Ā£6, thereā€™s a whole new generation of Instagrammers making aesthetic books that sell very well at a Ā£16.99 price point to be moving on with. She doesnā€™t even bother tweeting about the slop anymore. Sheā€™s just a Tory media mouthpiece now šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
As itā€™s an advance, will she have to repay it?

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.